By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else experiencing stores shoving the Xbox One in your face?

justinian said:
In the UK for commercials and adverts MS probably spends 20 times the money as Sony and Nintendo combined.

One of the oddest things I've seen in advertising this generation was the Sony Xperia play appearing in the little box advert in the bottom right corner of the 360 OS like, Sony clearly seen that advertising on 80million screens was good to spread the word, but would rather hand money to their competition than inflict it on their own gamers. Was weird.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
Farsala said:
I see tons of Xbox one ads on tv and out in the world. I get on the internet and see playstation vita ads...

The forums told me that Sony don't advertise their products, so you must be making that part up.

Every product seems to have a little advertising, even if it is as lackluster as that. Worse is on Twitch where you get the same PS4 ad 5 times in a row.

Maybe they do it because ms provided an abundance of xbox one units??
And maybe they don't do it with the ps4 is because they have none to sell because sony probably didn't provide a good number of units to sell over the holdiays?

bobgamez said:
padib said:

There must be some kind of commission system Microsoft offered for the One. Haven't been to the stores much so couldnt tell ya.

Never worked in retail before, are the workers told to advertise certain products like this?

No, not really.  The xbox one is popular right now and it is the holidays, so the employees are probably just a bit more agressive than usual, depending on where you go anyway.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft did with the 360 and they will do it with the Xbox One. Sony doesn't need to resort to that even though I think they should be at least half as aggressive as Microsoft in marketing.

Whats funny about that is I use to work at best buy.  We had sony reps in the store all time putting up new advertisements in the store and coaching employees on their products.  Probably only saw a microsoft rep once the 5 years I worked there...

Around the Network

At my local gamestop,  This guy was fighting with us when pre-ordering XBox one, trying to push us to get a ps4.  However when i went to mid night launch for Xbox One, this guy was so pissed off that there was a line. He was throwing sh-t around and My box was smashed a little. Most likely by this guy. However I sold that one on ebay anyway. I kept my Best Buy Xbox.

I called and reported the guys actions, along with my brother. His box was also scuffed and looked like it got dropped on a corner. This guy is extreme, I have decided to go to best buy and not support this store. This video below is always how I get treated at gamestop, this guy just did it with sony in mind.

gergroy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft did with the 360 and they will do it with the Xbox One. Sony doesn't need to resort to that even though I think they should be at least half as aggressive as Microsoft in marketing.

Whats funny about that is I use to work at best buy.  We had sony reps in the store all time putting up new advertisements in the store and coaching employees on their products.  Probably only saw a microsoft rep once the 5 years I worked there...

I've never seen a Sony representative walk up to me in a Best Buy. Its always been Microsoft. Sony must've been behind where you live because where I live the Xbox 360 and PS3 sold very well, but Sony was ahead some.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
gergroy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I've never seen a Sony representative walk up to me in a Best Buy. Its always been Microsoft. Sony must've been behind where you live because where I live the Xbox 360 and PS3 sold very well, but Sony was ahead some.

I could be wrong but I think the reps just talk to employees to teach them about their product, change the demos, and stuff.  They shouldn't approach you because they aren't salespeople nor do they get payed by Best Buy or Gamestop or etc.  I only saw two my entire life--one from Nintendo changing the Gamecube demo in Savannah, Ga and one in Statesboro, Ga  hiding in the background.  Both at Gamestops.

I've only witnessed Best Buy doing this. They had signs every where with, "XBOX ONE IN STOCK!" on them and the systems were at the front of the store next to the greeter instead of in the actual gaming section.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony doesn't need to resort to... marketing?