By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think Walmart is the main reason for Wii U selling the way it is in the U.S

I remember there being a rumor that other outlets, such as Amazon, were upset that Walmart got the best wholesale price for Nintendo consoles. If that's true, then I bet there was an advertising deal involved, as well.

Around the Network

Thanks Obama

I don't think they had much Wii U's in stock, but it's still nice to hear: 'Wii U sold out.' =)

Gamestop's staff is full of fanboys, cant stand going to that place.

pokoko said:
I remember there being a rumor that other outlets, such as Amazon, were upset that Walmart got the best wholesale price for Nintendo consoles. If that's true, then I bet there was an advertising deal involved, as well.

This is pretty commonplace at retailers. Every publisher shops around to get ad deals and any other bonuses they can have over the competition.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Dont kid yourself, walmart isnt sold out. There is probably a pallet in the back, but the walmart people are probably too lazy to restock. That is what the night crew is for right?

In my Walmart flyer last week they advertised a "Wii mini Mario 3D Kart World" with it's contents being mini wii, mario kart wii and a side picture of mario. No joke.

spurgeonryan said:

So I went to gamestop the other day.

The guy tells me that Wii U's do not sell that well. Then tries to sell me a Vita.

I go to Meijer ( a big department store in my area with nearly a dozen locations.) and look at the Wii U section. Other than one Mario bundle missing, they still have 8 systems for sale. This always seems to be the case there as well.

But Walmarts in my area are continuously sold out.

Why? Because Walmart is doing all the advertising! Every where you go in the store there is a tv playing a repeated loop commercial. On this commercial there are 3-4 things they have been promoting for a month. There is a crock pot, some wireless reciever, some food item, and then there is a 30 second commercial with the Wii U and Mario 3D world game thing.

That is the reason! A huge promotional plan by Walmart! The family value store, which only sells edited CD's and has a ton of Christian books in the store.

It does not seem to me from what I have seen elsewhere, that anyone else is selling them that well. Walmart is also selling out of the Mini's daily.

If only they would up their shipments who knows how well these two systems could sell by walmart power alone!

I think you're right because I went to Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, and Sears and I couldn't find a single one of those KitchenAid crockpots.

I think Walmart's got a deal with them, too.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

they've been selling pretty well since november at my bestbuy in ohio

One, Meijer is not a huge department store and there are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than a dozen locations, lol, I know, I am from Muskegon and live roughly a half an hour away from GR.

Two, everything else is correct that you said, lol.