By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is the evolution story really scientific?

deskpro2k3 said:
They have physical proof of evolution through carbon dating, and fossils. You can see it and touch it.

For the record, it's called radiometric dating. Radio carbon dating can only be used to date relatively recent things as carbon decays fairly quickly. But yeah, there is plenty of physical proof of evolution. Unfortunately, some will only believe it exists if they see a bird sprout a third eye.

Around the Network

So is the evolution story really scientific?
"Of course it is. Especially compared to the religiously-motivated alternatives." - Soleron

That's it in a nutshell. Generally speaking, the only motivation for an individual to disavow the theory of evolution is because it does not take their religious beliefs, which are based upon faith, into account.

There are plenty of flaws and holes in the theory of evolution, but not surprisingly, none of the individuals who disavow the theory have anything viable to offer as an alternative theory.

And a magical genie that blinked everything into existence on an arbitrary timescale doesn't count.

nuckles87 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
They have physical proof of evolution through carbon dating, and fossils. You can see it and touch it.

For the record, it's called radiometric dating. Radio carbon dating can only be used to date relatively recent things as carbon decays fairly quickly. But yeah, there is plenty of physical proof of evolution. Unfortunately, some will only believe it exists if they see a bird sprout a third eye.

...which ironically, if it ever did happen, would completely disprove the theory of evolution.

Evolution is pretty much the most logical explanation. it cant be tested because of the insane large time scales but still its the best theory. just embrace it already damn it

TornadoCreator said:

Again, yes. Now fuck off back to your church and don't come back until you develop a sense of shame and perchant for integrity. You know exactly what you're doing, spouting preached nonsense you've never actually taken the time to study (reading Christian media and scan-reading Wikipedia is not studying), because you're threatened by science; worried it's going to take away your magical sky daddy, which is ironic because evolution says nothing about God, and is fully compatible with modern Christian philosophy.

This thread is pathetic and only highlights your lack of faith in your own convictions by showing us that you feel the need to lie in an attempt to discredit science based off nothing more than your own insecurities. The only people taken in by your crap are idiots with their heads in the sand, and no scientist is even slightly threatened by your bullshit. This pathetic peice of trolling will get you no-where, you just look like a scietifically illiterate fool who's afraid of the truth. How about we go back to talking about video games now, or does this pointless "debate" need to happen on yet another forum?

Mate it's one thing to argue against the "points" he has made but this end part is just an attack on his beliefs even more so than this thread encroaches on yours. If you want your point to be heard about how you feel someone else is being an idiot because of how they put their questions on here then the end of your own post makes you come off in a far worse and preachy light right here.

I agree that someone dropping a "god is real:Discuss" type thread into VGchartz is just looking to get a bit flamed or have people who would rather be posting about which plastic box is selling better than which other plastic box come in and drop their 2 cent thoughts on this copied and pasted from 2 mins googling "is there a god?" It really isn't a great place to decide once and for all if there is a man in the clouds who made us all, but in the general forums we get descussions on here from which brand of Doughnut filling is best to the creation of the Universe and Mankind, some of it turns out pretty funny/informative.

See your account was made on here at the Start of December 2013 so welcome to the site man, and don't take other peoples beliefs to the point where they seem to genuinely anger you, tisn't good for you.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:

TornadoCreator said:

Again, yes. Now fuck off back to your church and don't come back until you develop a sense of shame and perchant for integrity. You know exactly what you're doing, spouting preached nonsense you've never actually taken the time to study (reading Christian media and scan-reading Wikipedia is not studying), because you're threatened by science; worried it's going to take away your magical sky daddy, which is ironic because evolution says nothing about God, and is fully compatible with modern Christian philosophy.

This thread is pathetic and only highlights your lack of faith in your own convictions by showing us that you feel the need to lie in an attempt to discredit science based off nothing more than your own insecurities. The only people taken in by your crap are idiots with their heads in the sand, and no scientist is even slightly threatened by your bullshit. This pathetic peice of trolling will get you no-where, you just look like a scietifically illiterate fool who's afraid of the truth. How about we go back to talking about video games now, or does this pointless "debate" need to happen on yet another forum?

Mate it's one thing to argue against the "points" he has made but this end part is just an attack on his beliefs even more so than this thread encroaches on yours. If you want your point to be heard about how you feel someone else is being an idiot because of how they put their questions on here then the end of your own post makes you come off in a far worse and preachy light right here.

I agree that someone dropping a "god is real:Discuss" type thread into VGchartz is just looking to get a bit flamed or have people who would rather be posting about which plastic box is selling better than which other plastic box come in and drop their 2 cent thoughts on this copied and pasted from 2 mins googling "is there a god?" It really isn't a great place to decide once and for all if there is a man in the clouds who made us all, but in the general forums we get descussions on here from which brand of Doughnut filling is best to the creation of the Universe and Mankind, some of it turns out pretty funny/informative.

See your account was made on here at the Start of December 2013 so welcome to the site man, and don't take other peoples beliefs to the point where they seem to genuinely anger you, tisn't good for you.

Honestly, it's not his beliefs that anger me, it's his arrogance. He knows fullwell that he doesn't want to discuss the issue, he just want to preach and that pisses me off if anything because it's bad forum etiquette, and it's terrible debate etiquette.

Now, I get that there are likely people who believe in God reading this forum right now, and to them I say; each to their own. I don't agree with you, and I'd happily debate this with you if you wanted, but al in all it's probably best we leave it as it is. I have friends who are religious, including one friend who is a Vicar, I find it's usally best to avoid the topic unless you're both versed in debate etiquette and prepared to discuss on equal footing. People just get upset otherwise. The fact of the matter is, I'm a scientist at heart, I've studied Chemistry and Forensic Biology at a couple of universities over the last decade. I've also studied philosophy, theology, and politics as private interests. I've also been a member of multiple debate societies and I enjoy genuine discourse. If I was to discuss religion in any serious manner it would likely end with moderators closing the threads because people would get offended. People don't come to online forums for involved debate, and most people on the internet are too emotional, take things personal, and cannot hold down the debate without getting offended. OooSnap is intentionally playing on this to get people upset, that much is clear to everyone.

In short OooSnap was purposely trying to start a flame war, it's trolling and nothing more. You know it, I know it, he knows it, everyone knows it. If he wanted to have an intelligent discussion on the topic it would have been evident in his post, he didn't, he wanted to piss people off and rile people up and I treated him with the disdain that behaviour warrants. Gamers have a hard enough time convincing the media that we're decent people, and I don't think we should tolerate, for lack of a better phrase, petty shit-stirrers like this. I could have said nothing sure, but ignoring problems don't make them go away.

Now on to the lighter topic of our introduction, thanks for the welcome, it's a pity you basically saw me chastising a fool as my first post. I'm usually (or at least I like to thing I am), more friendly than that. I'm finding it interesting here. So few gaming sites have people so knowedgeable about the economic structures of the games industry and I feel I'm genuinely learning stuff which is new, while also finding a decent venue to share my opinions with people who're actually interested in them. While there's passion, and people who clearly prefare one console, game, or genre over the other, there's a refeshing lack of fanboyism in this forum; which is quite frankly tantamount to a miracle right there. I hope to stick around for a while yet, so I'll see you around I guess.

You people should really let go of Oosnap threads, because they operate in the same fashion always.

He posts a massive wall on non-coherent text, links to a few random, non-credited sites in which people use the most absurd, irrational, illogical and untested claims and try to pass them as facts that supposedly make everything in the bible come true and that somehow the work of thousands of actual credited scientists is all false, and then he completely abandons the thread when people disprove him, only resurfacing when that rare someone has the same logic as his.

Heck, he once tried to argue with me that humans have the ability to live 900 years like some biblical figures did and when I presented him an extensive amount of genetic facts such as telomere length, failure of error correction in the long term by polymerases, single strand breaks, double strand brakes, accumulation of MMRs and so on, which creates a natural limit to a cellular complex, he just said that "god just doesn't want us to live that long anymore"

There's no point discussing with him anything, just let his threads go. If people ignore him, he'll move on from this site.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:

You people should really let go of Oosnap threads, because they operate in the same fashion always.

He posts a massive wall on non-coherent text, links to a few random, non-credited sites in which people use the most absurd, irrational, illogical and untested claims and try to pass them as facts that supposedly make everything in the bible come true and that somehow the work of thousands of actual credited scientists is all false, and then he completely abandons the thread when people disprove him, only resurfacing when that rare someone has the same logic as his.

Heck, he once tried to argue with me that humans have the ability to live 900 years like some biblical figures did and when I presented him an extensive amount of genetic facts such as telomere length, failure of error correction in the long term by polymerases, single strand breaks, double strand brakes, accumulation of MMRs and so on, which creates a natural limit to a cellular complex, he just said that "god just doesn't want us to live that long anymore"

There's no point discussing with him anything, just let his threads go. If people ignore him, he'll move on from this site.

I had a read through a few of the posts from both sides and thoughts here on the argument and while I'll agree the OP has added little to nothing to the thread other than it's creation the other members who've added to it have helped it evolve beyond a big incoherant explosion of little order.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

TornadoCreator said:
ganoncrotch said:

TornadoCreator said:

Again, yes. Now fuck off back to your church and don't come back until you develop a sense of shame and perchant for integrity.

This thread is pathetic.The only people taken in by your crap are idiots with their heads in the sand, and no scientist is even slightly threatened by your bullshit. This pathetic peice of trolling will get you no-where.

People don't come to online forums for involved debate, and most people on the internet are too emotional, take things personal, and cannot hold down the debate without getting offended. OooSnap is intentionally playing on this to get people upset, that much is clear to everyone.

In short OooSnap was purposely trying to start a flame war, it's trolling and nothing more. You know it, I know it, he knows it, everyone knows it. If he wanted to have an intelligent discussion on the topic it would have been evident in his post, he didn't, he wanted to piss people off and rile people up and I treated him with the disdain that behaviour warrants.

Now on to the lighter topic of our introduction, thanks for the welcome, it's a pity you basically saw me chastising a fool as my first post. I'm usually (or at least I like to thing I am), more friendly than that. I'm finding it interesting here. So few gaming sites have people so knowedgeable about the economic structures of the games industry and I feel I'm genuinely learning stuff which is new, while also finding a decent venue to share my opinions with people who're actually interested in them. While there's passion, and people who clearly prefare one console, game, or genre over the other, there's a refeshing lack of fanboyism in this forum; which is quite frankly tantamount to a miracle right there. I hope to stick around for a while yet, so I'll see you around I guess.

I edited down the back and forth to just include the main bits, it's just that you know yourself and I agree with you that this sort of posting is only ever done to annoy people. Thing is on VGchartz if you see someone trolling or obviously flaimbaiting you can click report on them, the mod team on here are pretty sharp and know well what people are aiming to do when it comes to causing grief. The only issue the mods here have, is they can't read everything they mostly just come to some threads when a post gets reported, so often rather than getting called out on VGchartz and responding to it, the best action is to report the post for whatever you think is offensive about it and a mod will look it over and be drawn to check the thread for flaming and trolling going on.

Sorry I'm a tad tired so not as clear as possible I would think, but if someone holds up a sign which says "I'm a big troll" just click report and a mod will sort them out, if you reply instead and insult them for acting like a troll or an idiot then when they return to the thread they'll just report your angry reply and the mods will come and judge you based on what is reported, if you're attacking someone pretty badly they'll sit you out in the sin bin for a day or 3, it happens literally all the time so you can expect to fall into it at least once.

Like someone else said tho, this OP has a history of making pretty weak threads like this and more of the community will ignore them if threads are constantly posted which have zero content or reason to join so then people like that do indeed move on, regarding fanboyism on this site there is a bit of it to be had which no one can deny there are threads set up by community heads on here which are the Hubs of news for each gaming system and the PC and now and again it can breed a slightly them/us kind of attitude. Most of the time it's friendly banter between the groups if one company does something stupid the other 2 have a chuckle over it while the PC master race brags that it's playing World of Warcraft in 4k resolution since the 720ptwins were in diapers :D (I love me some warcraft) but yeah like I said, the mods here are decent and crack down on fanboywars pretty damn fast if it gets in any way nasty.

But yeah - going to sleep! welcome again and try not to get burned for calling a tool a tool :D

ganoncrotch said:
lestatdark said:

I had a read through a few of the posts from both sides and thoughts here on the argument and while I'll agree the OP has added little to nothing to the thread other than it's creation the other members who've added to it have helped it evolve beyond a big incoherant explosion of little order.

I agree with you there, and i'm not discouraging that exchange of ideas. The problem with the topics of Oosnap is that they're put in such an extreme manner that it also brings some extreme responses from people that completely disagree or agree with him. And since the topic creator himself adds little to nothing to the topic itself, outside the few proper debates between some participants, you're left with a very unhealthy thread which eventually gets locked (as most of his threads end).

As for the context of the thread itself, i'm both a religious man and a scientist. I'm a Wiccan and a geneticist, so I can see why a topic like evolution arouses much heated exchanges. Personally I think evolution, as the theory is currently formulated, is the most correct proposition we can offer based on the knowledge and studies we've made on it. mRNA testing has given the evolution theory a huge step forward in it's overall acceptance in the scientific community as a whole.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"