By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Blu-Ray victory responsible for the spike in PS3 sales?

Blu-ray would have won faster if Ps3 wasn't supply constrained.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
Maybe, but stand alone players ares still selling, some people are just dumb and don't realize they can get a gaming machine and movie player in one.

Overall, I'd say the success of the PS3 accounted for the Blu-ray win, not the other way around.
Well, yeah.  Who was disagreeing with that?  I think Blu-ray probably would have come out on top anyway but it would certainly have been a much tougher and longer fight. 

And more importantly you'd have to be crazy to think that the PS3 has got what success it has had just because of its Blu-ray player. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Hey, my parents are about to get a Blu-Ray player are likely to get a 40gb. Although, whenever go live on my own and bring my ps3 with me. Games will still be bought for it (little siblings) even though the main purpose is for Blu-Ray.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

PooperScooper said:
Blu-ray would have won faster if Ps3 wasn't supply constrained.
Joke post, I presume.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

You presume correctly.

Around the Network

I think it helps, but it's not the sole reason (or even main reason)...bunch of reasons...here are a few off the top of my head.

1. The fall price drop and Holiday sales increased the user base drastically, this causes more people to become favorably aware of the ps3 (friend sees it at another friends house and say, "ooh, I want one too" and, "hmm, the ps3 isn't as bad as I thought", etc.)
Gathers momentum with the more people that own it...

2. Blu-ray has won the format war (don't even bother saying it hasn't)

3. Good software coming out -- Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, CoD4, UT3, Ratchet & Clank, etc.

4. Price is much more reasonable now.

5. Media has stopped crucifying the ps3.

6. Big exclusives on the horizon. (MGS4, Home, LBP, WKS, KZII, Haze, GT5:P, SOCOM, FFXIII) Many of those are proven IP's (not all), not over-hyped unprovens (like Heavenly Sword, Folklore, & Lair were)

7. Some good games are starting to drop in price...people are more inclined to buy a ps3 now because some "good" games are $30-40; whereas, before EVERYTHING was $60. Rumor of "Greatest Hits" coming soon for $30.

Anyhow, good things just keep happening and the momentum just keeps growing. Lol, that's why I can't believe that MS would be dumb enough to allow themselves to be put in a "supply constrained" situation. You expect better projections and logistics and planning from such a big, wealthy, successful corp. Nintendo and MS didn't deal the knockout punch, and now Sony is really starting to swing back.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Did the PS2 sell cuz it was a dvd player?

Could you really consider it a "spike in sales". It's been selling well since the price drop, and all that's happened is that it hasn't dropped off as hard as 360 has, since the holidays.

Dragon lord.... Hmmm didnt I read that in this months issue of EGM?

I think the PS3 is selling because it is an attractive option for consumers. It's here to stay, whether you like it or not.  Dragonlord went through a good explanation.

Oh well, better change my "doomsday" predictions to 2009 now.  With SCE turning profit and now this, it's time for a change. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.