By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Nintendo allow always online DRM on the WII U ?

After hearing some news that NBA 2K14 has patched the game for always online DRM for the next gen versions, does Nintendo allow 3rd parties to get away with it ? 

Sony's stance on not forcing always online DRM to every game on the PS4 was very clear since feburary. Microsoft later down the road decided to renounce their position on always online DRM a couple of weeks after E3 along with other restrictions such as region locking and anti-used game sales. Both of them had very similar policies such as ALLOWING always online DRM on their system. Their stance on the situation is clearly not enforcing DRM to the consoles and it's games but rather at the same time they do not reject a 3rd party's ability to enforce it to their own games. 

No third party publishers as of now except take two interactive is implementing DRM on consoles. Ubisoft had suffered a rough lesson on attempting it on the PC space.

Around the Network

It will probably be up to the publisher

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I keep reading about DRM... Can somebody please enlighten me as to what exactly this is?

1doesnotsimply

Not that I know of but than again... EA isn't exactly supporting Nintendo...

There was this article where it talks about how the reason why EA isn't putting any games on the wiiU is cause Nintendo isn't allowing Origin but idk if that is cause its an Online DRM or some other reason... Either way, so far, None that I know of...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

As far as I know, online DRM is a no go.

Don't quote me on this though! I'd have to ask to know for certain.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Not that I know of but than again... EA isn't exactly supporting Nintendo...

There was this article where it talks about how the reason why EA isn't putting any games on the wiiU is cause Nintendo isn't allowing Origin but idk if that is cause its an Online DRM or some other reason... Either way, so far, None that I know of...

EA essentially wanted nintendo to hand over it's online infastructure. I don't think it was because of DRM since they recently dropped online passes. 

JoeTheBro said:
As far as I know, online DRM is a no go.

Don't quote me on this though! I'd have to ask to know for certain.

Do you have a source saying that nintendo condones always online DRM ? 

well the fact that EA's unprecedented support collapsed would suggest they don't want it.

But then again one must first have 3rd party support to test this theory.

FarleyMcFirefly said:
I keep reading about DRM... Can somebody please enlighten me as to what exactly this is?

DRM is essentially a form of piracy security for games where a user has to essentially go online to get a copy validated or pass through some checks for certain features and such. Some forms of DRM go as far as having your game to be always online otherwise your copy becomes rendered unplayable unitl you reach an internet connection again.

FarleyMcFirefly said:

It's a way for publishers to prevent you from selling your game in the used market, locking in their profits. You were interested in the *real* reason, weren't you?