By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Japan care?

sharky said:

Fanboys are the same everywhere. Look at this German forum I was just looking at

http://www.consolewars.eu/messageboard/showthread.php?t=57513&page=101

They have a 101 page thread about NPD and they discuss things like vgchartz and SonyCowboy posts at GAF. You can bet some Japanese do too..

http://www.consolewars.eu/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

@Dolla Dolla

Yeah I did. I am just sick of videogame sales. People refuse to listen anyways.

DS is outselling PSP and that is a fact and people think PSP is doing better. Bullshit like that.

I was talking to a japanese guy today, he told me that gaming is not really mainstream anymore in Japan like it was in the PS1 days. He said it has really flipped between US and Japan, in the 90's game were only for Teenage and below and nerds. Now gaming is very mainstream in the US, he said gaming in Japan is now for nerds and teens and under. It really makes sense when you look at sales. He says the only games adults are interested in are "very casual" games, like Brain Training, or any of the training games.

I believe this is cyclical and in 10 years Japan will be back in the core again.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Snesboy said:
@Dolla Dolla

DS is outselling PSP and that is a fact and people think PSP is doing better. Bullshit like that.

Actually PSP is outselling DS lately...:)

bigjon, that will only happen if their birthrates increase again. Part of the problem is that the perception is based on reality, and most of the core gamers across the world are between 14-24. And that is a demographic that has been on the decline in Japan for a long while.

Though that's not to say that their hardcore gaming following will just die out. It'll have its ups and downs, it just isn't going to see a massive demographic shift that can turn the current trends on their head.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
sharky said:
Snesboy said:
@Dolla Dolla

Actually PSP is outselling DS lately...:)

If by outselling you mean getting stomped by DS by atleast 200K for the week.

AU FOREVER

dolemit3 said:
Speaking of Japanese numbers, I wish the US would have a system similar to Famitsu and Media Create. Maybe in ten years...

There is one website that does this.

3% sampling rate means the error bars are the size of Californ'ya.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Yes, the hardcore in Japan do follow worldwide sales. I remember seeing some pics of shops in Akihabara that even posted NPD stats in their windows. More to the point there are certainly threads on 2-chan and such discussing sales outside of Japan.

I don't think people follow it as much as we look at Japan though. Looking at the sales of western games in Japan, it makes sense that they wouldn't have all that much interest in western stats. There are a lot of Japanese games that are huge in the west, so it makes a lot of sense for us to follow Japan, but the reverse isn't really true. Western sales do impact decisions of Japanese developers/publishers though, so at least some people pay attention.

man i hate ignorant people.