By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL Next Gen systems are going to fail!

Figgycal said:
Angelv577 said:
yeah, because ps3 sell 80 million thanks to the casual crowd. Thanks to them ps3 stay in the competition for 7 years. Sarcastic mode: OFF

I guess you have to define what a casual gamer is.

People who only buy PS3's to play GTA 5 and Madden are casual gamers to me. They play 2 games all year round. If it weren't for those people -- PS3 wouldn't have 80 mil sold.

This. casual gamers are not going anywhere. Its the non gamers who bought a Wii just for WiiSports and WiiFit or the DS for Brain age they are now not buying traditional gaming machines.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
drake4 said:
hiimnew said:
fatslob-:O said:
Landguy said:
fatslob-:O said:
This thread is essentially premature.

I don't think this thread is premature.  Like many threads here on vgchartz, it has a certain level of crystal ball to it. 

But, by you saying it is premature, are you agreeing with it's content but just think it's too early to be sure?

No I'm just saying this thread is too early to be calling every next gen system is gonna fail. It does not mean that I necessarily agree with it's content. This thread is just too early, period. 

That's the point.

So the op can rub it into peoples' faces if correct.

which he won't be.

So, how can I be automatically wrong without you being automatically right?  You or anyone who disagrees with my theory are no more correct, you/they are only guessing.  There is no way for you to be anymore correct at this point.

It is near the end of the end....

Pillow said:
One thing which can be agreed by using logic: All 3 consoles won't be able to outsell their predecessor.

Don't get fooled by the initial console hype rush, it won't last as long as you think. So many blind fans here.

Look at:

-What do the new console offer over their predecessor? So far, more graphics.
-Lack of software is really scary, for all big 3. Without software you can't keep your momentum, we will mostly see that with the PS4 and XB1
-Cost: PS3 is half the cost of PS4. Xbox1 is 5 times the price of 360 (when on sale)
-Lack of BC, really it's just another lost opportunity here... BC would have allowed more next-gen console to sell, instead people buy a 360 and PS3 to be able to play GAMES.
-PS4 has no must-have feature. The PS2 had the DVD drive and PS3 had the Blue-Ray which helped a lot to sell.
The X1 has, well, Kinect 2? What's the difference between the 1.0 and 2.0? MS has failed to show the difference and probably going to have underwhelming software support like the original.
-Wii U is just too complicated for the market... and not enough Nintendo software yet. The reason it's not selling as good even if it has more software is because of the lack of hardcore fans, something that is less of a problem for Playstation.

Ready to take bets that no next-gen will outsell their predecessor.

I believe that none of them will outsell the last gen

I don't think all 3 will fail but I don't think any of them outsell their previous consoles. Lets just be real for a minute

Wii - Innovative Motion Controls - 100+ Million
360 - Best online services from a home console ever - 80+ Million
PS3 - Blu Ray player with ability to play games - 80+ Million

Wii U - Tablet controller + More hardware power
Xbone - More Hardware Power + expanded online services
PS4 - More Hardware Power + expanded online services.

The most innovative one is the Wii U, and I have one and love it but its not nearly as innovative as the Wii. Xbone and PS4 took the SNES/N64/Gamecube/GBA route which is better graphics and a controller redesign. All three consoles now have had amazing launches (yes the Wii U has the 4th best launch ever), and Nintendo was the first to learn that that there is no market for a new console with no games. Microsoft is about to learn this the hard way too if the resale prices are any indicator. Sony's sales will dip alot lower then they expect too, but overflow demand from 2013 will keep their numbers reasonable. My honest prediction this gen will be 1. PS4 - 80 million
2. Wii U 70 million 3. Xbone 35 million. Things can change by unknown factors like Kinect last gen, but as of right now thats how I see it.

superhippy420 said:
I don't think all 3 will fail but I don't think any of them outsell their previous consoles. Lets just be real for a minute

Wii - Innovative Motion Controls - 100+ Million
360 - Best online services from a home console ever - 80+ Million
PS3 - Blu Ray player with ability to play games - 80+ Million

Wii U - Tablet controller + More hardware power
Xbone - More Hardware Power + expanded online services
PS4 - More Hardware Power + expanded online services.

The most innovative one is the Wii U, and I have one and love it but its not nearly as innovative as the Wii. Xbone and PS4 took the SNES/N64/Gamecube/GBA route which is better graphics and a controller redesign. All three consoles now have had amazing launches (yes the Wii U has the 4th best launch ever), and Nintendo was the first to learn that that there is no market for a new console with no games. Microsoft is about to learn this the hard way too if the resale prices are any indicator. Sony's sales will dip alot lower then they expect too, but overflow demand from 2013 will keep their numbers reasonable. My honest prediction this gen will be 1. PS4 - 80 million
2. Wii U 70 million 3. Xbone 35 million. Things can change by unknown factors like Kinect last gen, but as of right now thats how I see it.

I am not sure the WiiU could possibly sell double the Xb1 in any scenario.  If M$ thought that the XB1 was selling that poorly, they would adjust the price to make it competitive.  M$ isn't in this just for the "console war".  They have much bigger ambitions of a cross platform ecosystem, and they will not let it fail so easily.

Around the Network
drake4 said:
Pillow said:
One thing which can be agreed by using logic: All 3 consoles won't be able to outsell their predecessor.

Don't get fooled by the initial console hype rush, it won't last as long as you think. So many blind fans here.

Look at:

-Lack of software is really scary, for all big 3. Without software you can't keep your momentum, we will mostly see that with the PS4 and XB1
-Cost: PS3 is half the cost of PS4. Xbox1 is 5 times the price of 360 (when on sale)
-Lack of BC, really it's just another lost opportunity here... BC would have allowed more next-gen console to sell, instead people buy a 360 and PS3 to be able to play GAMES.
-PS4 has no must-have feature. The PS2 had the DVD drive and PS3 had the Blue-Ray which helped a lot to sell.
The X1 has, well, Kinect 2? What's the difference between the 1.0 and 2.0? MS has failed to show the difference and probably going to have underwhelming software support like the original.
-Wii U is just too complicated for the market... and not enough Nintendo software yet. The reason it's not selling as good even if it has more software is because of the lack of hardcore fans, something that is less of a problem for Playstation.

playstation 4  will easily, consider this, ps3 after6-7 years on the market is still selling for 299$. xbone, is to hight at the moment they will need to drop the price by next year.

What games are going to move PS4's.   Uncharted is a solid 6 million seller.   Resistance 3 (1.3 m),Infamous 2 (1.4 m.),God of War Ascention(1.45 m) were all flops.  LBP2 sold 1/2 as good as the first.  Games like Motorstorm 2, MAG, and Socom all flopped.  Sony launched the Vita with their top franchises and it flopped miserably.   If it was'nt for Call of Duty and GTA, PS3 and Xbox 360 would have been massive failures.  GTA6 wont happen for atleast 3 - 4 years, and COD has been declining in popularity and sales since MW3.    Seriously you guys forget that the Wii U had the 2nd best launch ever, and then even Nintendo got burned big time by the lack of games.    There is not one sign that this set of consoles is going to do even close to what the others did.  Launch sales are high because of the massive ammounts of marketing and hype, thats all.

superhippy420 said:
drake4 said:
Pillow said:

Look at:

playstation 4  will easily, consider this, ps3 after6-7 years on the market is still selling for 299$. xbone, is to hight at the moment they will need to drop the price by next year.

What games are going to move PS4's.   Uncharted is a solid 6 million seller.   Resistance 3 (1.3 m),Infamous 2 (1.4 m.),God of War Ascention(1.45 m) were all flops.  LBP2 sold 1/2 as good as the first.  Games like Motorstorm 2, MAG, and Socom all flopped.  Sony launched the Vita with their top franchises and it flopped miserably.   If it was'nt for Call of Duty and GTA, PS3 and Xbox 360 would have been massive failures.  GTA6 wont happen for atleast 3 - 4 years, and COD has been declining in popularity and sales since MW3.    Seriously you guys forget that the Wii U had the 2nd best launch ever, and then even Nintendo got burned big time by the lack of games.    There is not one sign that this set of consoles is going to do even close to what the others did.  Launch sales are high because of the massive ammounts of marketing and hype, thats all.

The difference is that those mega franchises will have their best versions on XB1 and PS4 each year.  Within 2 years or so, the mega franchises won't even come to the WiiU.

superhippy420 said:
drake4 said:
Pillow said:

Look at:

this is false, if you exclude japan which i'm not sure about , in the US and UK,  dreamcast, gamecube and xbox had a better launches, not to mention the demand was just never there, it was never sold out , if the ps2 and wii had enough supply they could have destroyed those nubmers.

drake4 said:
superhippy420 said:
drake4 said:
Pillow said:

Look at:

this is false, if you exclude japan which i'm not sure about , in the US and UK,  dreamcast, gamecube and xbox had a better launches, not to mention the demand was just never there, it was never sold out , if the ps2 and wii had enough supply they could have destroyed those nubmers.

I agree, with Sony And Microsoft's production level this launch being so good, we don't really know if it is the best sales ever or just the best managed launches ever.

It's clear that there is a large group of people on this site who think that people are not changing their gaming habits. If a person has to spend $300-500 on a console, why not spend the same on a tablet and get the portability of it? Today, most tablets lack the power of the XB1/PS4. But, in a few short years, they will be a lot closer. "Why buy a console?" will probably be the mantra of the average joe...