By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why the PS Vita is not selling well?

The Vita has pleanty of games.

I think the biggest issue right now is that Sony has done extremely poor in advertising the Vita.

The next biggest issue is how slow and sparse game localization is; if you look at this reccommended game list, you can see there are 45+ Japan only games being reccommended. Not all of them would be super popular here, but 10 or so of them would make the Vita more applealing to many PSP gamers who have yet to buy a Vita.

Around the Network
small44 said:
tiffac said:
small44 said:
tiffac said:
small44 said:
tiffac said:
Bad strategy altogether. Sony went with a western centric approach at launch instead of carrying over the strength of the PSP, which are Japanese games.

Continuing to support the PSP in Japan, essentially made the Vita compete with it predecessor. They tried to do another PS2 with PS3 life cycle but it backfired. No incentives at all for 3rd party devs to make games exclusively on the Vita.

The lack of localization of those most wanted PSP/PSV Japanese games is also a big elephant in the room.

Now we don't even know what Sony is planning with the VTV, it seems like they used Japan as a beta test country but without any hint of it coming over to the English speaking market.

Too many areas needs fixing. I'm still hopeful Gio and his localization Studio give us something.

Since when japanease game was system sellers in west except of some game like Final Fantasy,MGS and Kindoms Herts the rest of game are not system sellers in west it's don't even sold well

When one of those games is actually a Final Fantasy?  and do you really believe the fans of Valkyria Chronicles, Tales Of etc... won't give a handheld an extra push when its predecessor was successful because of them? and I said ENGLISH SPEAKING market, the west isn't the only market that speaks English.

Are all people who buy a game is consider a fans of this games idon't think so,sure fans will buy a console for it's prefered games but other peoples would not
I think Valkyria Chronicles and Tale sold 100k on psp,if we consider all of them are big fans and will buy a console for those game psv will only  have sold 200 k more sales,psv will still be a big fail.

I think its common sense that not all people are fans of certain games. So I am not sure what you are trying to prove with that comment but hear me out and try not to undermine the importance of these types of games because they also made other consoles and handheld's libraries great.

Just think about it. How can the Vita get any system sellers, if they can't even localized the mid-tier games, call them niche or whatever but getting those over can build confidence that the system is actually worth investing in, which as we all know the majority of the 3rd party community isn't doing.

So what we are really after here is to gain momentum that could spur more support and these games can be the catalyst for that because

1) They are well known franchises (not as popular as before but still known through out the community).

2) They already have a fanbase you can bring over.

3) They are readily available for the English speaking market (since they are only stuck in Japan)

4) They can easily expand the exclusive library on the device.

Sony needs to play with what made the PSP a success but they need to do it from the bottom up.

Fans will buy a console just for their favorite game ,even if their game are bad ,the majority of people are interesting in the whole library for majority of people a console without big  console ip  are not a console worth to invest on it.

Foe me what it made psp a sucess is console like game not japaneases games localisation or handheld like game.

Well then its good to know that its only your opinion because it certainly not reality because if I am not mistaken Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts are all Japanese games that were localized and was successful on a handheld like the PSP. The DS has them and the 3DS sure does too now.

It has no worthwhile games. We've been over this many times.

riecsou said:
small44 said:
riecsou said:

Monster Hunter, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank sold more on the PSP than Gran Turismo...
What games helped the PSP to reach 80 millions lol??? The best seller on the PSP is at 7.55 Millions, the second best at 5.4 Millions. The sum of all top 50 games sold on the PSP is 105 Millions, out of 80 millions PSP, that is the  SUM of TOP 50 best selling game on the PSP.

The PSP had many features with it. Looking at the sale numbers for the game, it looks like some people bought their psp mostly for features.

The attach rate for the PSP after nearly 9 years is less than 4.

Monster Hunter, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank  are also home console game so how making home console game on psp and vita was an bad idea?

DS also has a lot of mario games, but they are games you can easily play on a handheld and they also attract casuals gamers. Monster Hunter, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank attract casual gamers. I don't think it's a good strategy to have a handheld focused primary and only on hardcore gamers. Your gaming product need to be advertised for everyone. A lot of RPG today are trying to have a shooter feel because shooters have been selling well. They will attrack RPG fans and try to get some shooters fan to try them. I think this is the way that bussiness should be done

If you look at my "Edit" in the post you will realise that I am also getting a Vita because i just got informed that Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Soul Sacrifice are currently free with PS+.

I don't consider Monster Hunter, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank  casual game especially Monster Hunter i try it and it's a dificukt games i don't think peoples who play  occasionally would want to play a hard game and aren't those game not  better suited for handheld,aren't LBP on Vita better suited for handheld but it fail to sold well aren't playstation mobile game and indie better suited to handheld due to touch screen why those games don't make vita sold well.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

tiffac said:
small44 said:
tiffac said:
small44 said:
tiffac said:
small44 said:
tiffac said:
Bad strategy altogether. Sony went with a western centric approach at launch instead of carrying over the strength of the PSP, which are Japanese games.

Continuing to support the PSP in Japan, essentially made the Vita compete with it predecessor. They tried to do another PS2 with PS3 life cycle but it backfired. No incentives at all for 3rd party devs to make games exclusively on the Vita.

The lack of localization of those most wanted PSP/PSV Japanese games is also a big elephant in the room.

Now we don't even know what Sony is planning with the VTV, it seems like they used Japan as a beta test country but without any hint of it coming over to the English speaking market.

Too many areas needs fixing. I'm still hopeful Gio and his localization Studio give us something.

Since when japanease game was system sellers in west except of some game like Final Fantasy,MGS and Kindoms Herts the rest of game are not system sellers in west it's don't even sold well

When one of those games is actually a Final Fantasy?  and do you really believe the fans of Valkyria Chronicles, Tales Of etc... won't give a handheld an extra push when its predecessor was successful because of them? and I said ENGLISH SPEAKING market, the west isn't the only market that speaks English.

Are all people who buy a game is consider a fans of this games idon't think so,sure fans will buy a console for it's prefered games but other peoples would not
I think Valkyria Chronicles and Tale sold 100k on psp,if we consider all of them are big fans and will buy a console for those game psv will only  have sold 200 k more sales,psv will still be a big fail.

I think its common sense that not all people are fans of certain games. So I am not sure what you are trying to prove with that comment but hear me out and try not to undermine the importance of these types of games because they also made other consoles and handheld's libraries great.

Just think about it. How can the Vita get any system sellers, if they can't even localized the mid-tier games, call them niche or whatever but getting those over can build confidence that the system is actually worth investing in, which as we all know the majority of the 3rd party community isn't doing.

So what we are really after here is to gain momentum that could spur more support and these games can be the catalyst for that because

1) They are well known franchises (not as popular as before but still known through out the community).

2) They already have a fanbase you can bring over.

3) They are readily available for the English speaking market (since they are only stuck in Japan)

4) They can easily expand the exclusive library on the device.

Sony needs to play with what made the PSP a success but they need to do it from the bottom up.

Fans will buy a console just for their favorite game ,even if their game are bad ,the majority of people are interesting in the whole library for majority of people a console without big  console ip  are not a console worth to invest on it.

Foe me what it made psp a sucess is console like game not japaneases games localisation or handheld like game.

Well then its good to know that its only your opinion because it certainly not reality because if I am not mistaken Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts are all Japanese games that were localized and was successful on a handheld like the PSP. The DS has them and the 3DS sure does too now.

I write in a previous reply that those games are exception and attract millions of peoples in west,other japanease like Yakuza and Tales sold not that well  in West.

And those games are not better suited for psp sthat's why i don't agree withvthe topics.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
small44 said:

I write in a previous reply that those games are exception and attract millions of peoples in west,other japanease like Yakuza and Tales sold not that well  in West.

And those games are not better suited for psp sthat's why i don't agree withvthe topics.

You should have said that before because you confused me half to death with that reply. lol!

But my point is not about selling to the point like they do in Japan, my point is adding them to the library to bolster the confidence in the system because its getting support.

I don't think you understood what I meant. 

riecsou said:

DS also has a lot of mario games, but they are games you can easily play on a handheld and they also attract casuals gamers. Monster Hunter, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank attract casual gamers. I don't think it's a good strategy to have a handheld focused primary and only on hardcore gamers. Your gaming product need to be advertised for everyone. A lot of RPG today are trying to have a shooter feel because shooters have been selling well. They will attrack RPG fans and try to get some shooters fan to try them. I think this is the way that bussiness should be done

If you look at my "Edit" in the post you will realise that I am also getting a Vita because i just got informed that Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Soul Sacrifice are currently free with PS+.

I think you need to target both consistently, to have a successful console. Nintendo have nailed that with their handhelds.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

tiffac said:
small44 said:

You should have said that before because you confused me half to death with that reply. lol!

But my point is not about selling to the point like they do in Japan, my point is adding them to the library to bolster the confidence in the system because its getting support.

Majority of peoples don't care about those games,for majority of peoples support means put popular games on the system do you thinks millions of peoples will buy a psv for those niche games people buy a console for popular game but peoples buy niche games because they already have the console.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m

small44 said:
tiffac said:
small44 said:

Majority of peoples don't care about those games,for majority of peoples support means put popular games on the system do you thinks millions of peoples will buy a psv for those niche games people buy a console for popular game but peoples buy niche games because they already have the console.

Again you do not understand what I am talking about, you only look at it at a consumers point of view. Try reading PLEASE.

The Vita does not have the luxury of getting big titles because Sony cannot even get the mid-tier games over and localize. How can any 3rd party dev have any confidence on a system with such a track record? but if its otherwise, then there is a chance they will put their games on the system and that would generate sales.

Do you get it now? Please for the love of God, please understand.

It has loads of games, but not games that sell systems unfortunately.

I blame the lack of recognition by video game shops. They seem to give loads of shelf space to X360, PS3 and 3DS and the rest seem to be ignored a bit. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018