By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official January NPD Thread

Because of Warner's annoucement about being Blu-ray exclusive, "many" people bought a blu-ray player this month and the PS3 being one of the best player available (and the only one who will end up being profile 2.0) I'm not surprised by the higher than expected sales this month. 

This shall also be my first post here

Around the Network

Weird, weird numbers.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

@ Bod

Hmm... I wonder why Microsoft would do that. That seems like that's not really smart.

Remember all - this includes the trail end of Xmas - where there were significant supply issues for the consoles that sold out during the holidays (specifically the DS,Wii + also the 360 in part, in the US).

But good news for Sony - no spinning required! We all know what MS will say - "Supply issues" (and probably true).

If they start to "look" like they are losing the US... everything changes.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

TheSource said:

From IGN

... approximately 375,000 people picked up Wii's nunchuk attachment in January, making it the best-selling piece of hardware for the month.

Who knew?

Around the Network

Am I aloud to make a PS3 takes all territories celebration thread now?

HAHAHA I meant allowed. But I will leave my mistake for everyone to laugh at  

So once the numbers are adjusted, especially with NPD Canada data, maybe the PS3 will be at 21%? Then I'll only have four percent to go.

Bodhesatva said:
DMeisterJ said:
+3h P0w3r 0f +3h c311 iz 2 h@rD 2 b ignooored!

C311 Rulz!!!!

No really though, I wonder why PS3 sales are ahead of 360. It's been no exclusive releases, and although microsoft blamed supply, I saw stacks upon stacks of Arcades, and even a few Elites at my local Best Buy.

I can tell you precisely why, in one now rare blips from my job: I recieved 0 360s during the entire month of January. It sounds like Microsoft knew this was coming, and did some pre-emptive damage control: there is a press release from yesterday where Microsoft acknowledged significant hardware shortages. 

Regardless of the reason, however, PS3 outsold 360 for the first time in America, which means it has now outsold the 360 in every major region.  

Hi, I am living in belgium and my local game shop hasn't also recieved a 360 since the beginning of the month!

I wonder what they are planning ? New sku or did they really underestimate the sales?

[

@ Jandre002

Go right ahead.

Another really important point: Call of Duty 4 on the 360 actually has better legs than the vaunted Mario. Not only did it outsell it for the third month in a row, it actually grew its lead this month on a preportional basis, outselling SMG by nearly 50 percent.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">