By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is no one complaining about paying for PSN?

d21lewis said:
d2wi said:

Are you saying since gay marriage was legalized we gotta pay for online gaming now?

I'm saying that paying for online is the reason gay marriage was legalized in the first place.  Every cloud has a silver lining.  Thanks, Xbox Gold!

It does indeed.

Around the Network

I'm paying for PS+ for about 3y now. For 261 USD (4 x12m subs) they gave me access to: Crysis 2, uncharted 3, borderlands, Reddead redemption, Assasins cread 3, farcray 3, farcray 2, Grid 2, NFS MW, battlefield 3, XCOM, dead space 2, bulletstorm, mass efect 3, sleeping dogs, Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish, The Cave, Mafia II, Spec ops: the line, Batman arkam city, Mortal Kombat, Dead or alive 5, inFamous 2,Jak&daxter 1,2,3, Warhammer 40K.

And that is only top 25 titles from my PS+ collection (not mentioned games I've previously owned like LBP 1,2 or Just Cause 2 or Vita games or PS4 titles). PS+ made me not to buy games any more.

Please remind me how many good games did MS gave you for Live subscription?

d21lewis said:
Look, a lot of things have changed now. Just let it go.

-It was "You can't play sales", "I guess Justin Bieber is the best singer in the world, huh?". Now, with home consoles breaking records, sales are extremely important.

-Performance wasn't an issue before if the games were virtually identical. Now, if a game is less HD than another, it's crap .

-Mandatory installs and incredibly long updates were tolerable. Now, waiting 10 minutes for a game to install will kill you.

-It didn't matter which controller was best, as long as the controller was good enough for the games YOU wanted to play. Now, if you're playing with anything less than the best controller (as voted by most gaming sites, you're a loser.

-Paying an annual fee for online gaming was damn near criminal. How can any company hold half the game YOU PAID FOR hostage unless you paid an annual fee? Now, it's okay.

-Gay marriage was frowned up. Now, it's legal.

-Digital games "didn't count". Now, they're just as important as retail titles.

I hope you've learned something. These are different times and different rules will apply.

Ouch. Those punches hurt...

Well atleast some of us PS guys are stil fully against paying for multiplayer....

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

More free games, not all games require payment for online multiplayer(f2p), all entertainment apps do not require PSplus to be used. Only ps4 online multiplayer games require PSN plus. Ps3 and psvita games do not.

And PSN is and will always be Free. You are referring to PS PLUS.

BMaker11 said:
Ronster316 said:
Well, back in the day a lot on here said they would never pay for online.

But credit where credits due, PSN has improved over the years.

3 or 4 years ago it wasn't worth paying for (and to be honest, if i want a game, i buy it day one or not long after release, so ps+'s free "we'll decide when you play this game or not" games don't man squat to me)

Now a day's take away the "free rented games" that i don't care about, and as a service, i still think Live is top dog, but the justification to pay for PSN is now just about valid.

You can't do that. That is a merit of the servive which warrants subscribing to it. If you can say that, then I can say "take away the online MP for XBL and PSN is top dog". I'd say something else for comparison sake, but online MP is literally all the XBL offers.

And I really doubt you don't care about the games. On a list that includes games like LBP2, Super Street Fighter IV, Borderlands 2, inFamous 2, Batman: Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs, UC3, XCOM, BF3, Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3, and many, many more games, that all come out within a year after the game initially released (no releasing a 7 year old game in a monthly update), I doubt you just "don't care" about them, considering these are all big games. And if you download and play just 1 or 2 of those games over the course of one year, PS+, then, has already paid for itself, and you still have ALL the other games to choose from. If you put it in that perspective, you don't really pay to play online. Technically, yes you have, but in practice, no you haven't

Good post and very true!

Although it feels like the only reason why PS+ looks so good is because XBL looks pretty crappy in comparison.

Aside from the comparisons...it doesnt take away the fact that Sony is now charging for MP...and for a lot of gamers around the world who only dabbled in a bit of online gaming this is a pretty big setback. You either $50 in or not in at all. And that sucks big time. Not to mention that we already pay $60 for the game and now have to pay an additional cost just to get access to half of it. Its ridiculous.

Console platform owners better be careful. Everytime they screw over loyal customers it pushes them away to platforms that are more open like PC's.

Anyways i agree that PS+ is good value...i mean which gamer  in their right mind wouldnt? But that doesnt make it okay to put what should be free behind a paywall.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

free games, simple as that. The best thing is they are quality games not indie cheap shit but full AAA titles.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

CocaineCowboy77 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You guys just keep piling on about free content, but the masses that will subscribe to PS+ just want access to online games.

People ignore that and keep boasting about value. The masses don't give a crap about value, they just want to play their favorite games online.

I don't care what the "masses" want.

Sony does and that's why online play isn't free on PS4.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Runa216 said:

The key difference is that, when it was Xbox 360, Microsoft was the ONLY company regularly charging for online play. Nintendo didn't charge (though their stuff was shit), PSN was free (and compared to Xbox, the only difference was cross game chat and slightly more frequent outages), and Steam was free (and that was infinitely superior.

This gen, now both PSN+ and XBLG are required for online play, but the deals are leagues apart. With PSN, you get super discounts, online storage, deals on THREE consoles (PS3, PS4, and Vita), and it's cheaper. Plus, it feels optional. the only thing you're truly missing out on if you chose not to pay for it is online. Sucks, I don't like it; never will, but I actually plan on buying PSN+ on a yearly basis now, because the deals are so good. Whereas on Xbox, if you chose not to pay for online, your console is just a shittier version of the PS4 (weaker specs, mostly) for a higher cost (500 upfront.)

Even when both consoles are compared at their best, you still get more content for less money on PSN. More games, more movies, more deals, and more options.

So yes, it makes a difference. I do agree that it kind of sucks that you have to pay for PSN+ if you want to game online now, but the deals are so good on PSN+ that, honestly, I was planning on buying it regardless of its need to be activated to play online. IT sucks for people HAVING To buy PSN+ for the first time, but They will find - as many others have - that it is worth it.

That's the difference.

**Edit** - Oh, and Microsoft was the first to do it.  I don;t buy the 'it pays for the online servers' bit, because Steam has managed to keep that shit free; Sony's only doing it because they saw Microsoft do it and make a shit-tonne of money off it.  IT's capitalism, it's kinda greedy, but it was Microsoft who set the precedent for it, and Sony is, as they usualyl are, just following in the footsteps of others, and we all saw it coming half a decade ago. 

Agree with your post Runa but just to be clear...

Steam doesnt offer dedicated servers as far as im aware (might be wrong though). And im pretty sure MS does use the money from Live to cover whatever server costs that have. Doesnt mean they dont profit from it which is kinda the point for them though....

Mr Puggsly said:
CocaineCowboy77 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You guys just keep piling on about free content, but the masses that will subscribe to PS+ just want access to online games.

People ignore that and keep boasting about value. The masses don't give a crap about value, they just want to play their favorite games online.

I don't care what the "masses" want.

Sony does and that's why online play isn't free on PS4.

I don't care what Sony wants either. I just want free games.

Sony's not out to make a load of money with PSN+. 6 free games a month for about £3 is rather generous. You have no idea why online play isn't free. Could be Sony wants more players to subscribe, which would benifit both parties by the way. PSN+ is a win-win situation for gamers and for Sony. Microsoft, on the other hand, are charging you the same amount for PSN+ with inferior features.

CocaineCowboy77 said:

I don't care what Sony wants either. I just want free games.

Well PS+ is a paid service. Stick with the PC is you really want F2P.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)