By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Official(ish) World Cup 2014 thread. FULL draw and fixture list inside.

NiKKoM said:
geez.. the Dutch really will have to get their star players in form if they are gonna survive that group.. -_-"

Outside of Spain, no one poses a treat to the Dutch in their group

Around the Network
Smeags said:
chocoloco said:
I did not even know the USA tied last time for the world Cup win. lol

Seems like the so called experts are already predicting USA to win their group. I might have to pay attention this time.

Really? All the mainstream sports media is calling it the Group of Death.

Ghana has knocked the US team out of the last two World Cups.
Portugal hosts the best player in the world at the moment.
Germany are the favorites (beside Brazil) to win it all.

It's going to be pretty tough for the Men's National Team. @_@

No, just no...no, no, no, no NOOO !

seiya19 said:
pastro243 said:

If I had to bet, I would say you will get through, I think it will be Italy-Uruguay or the other way. England is a strong side but Italians are playing better and in south america we all know of your magical powers to advance even if you play bad added to the fact that you have great players

Hmm... I'm not sure if I like all this... We tend to do better when we go as underdogs, not favorites. And in such a complicated group...

We do have great players (mostly on the attack), but our problems are usually on the creation side, as a team. Italy is playing more on the offensive these days from what I've seen, but if they or England score us a goal and then close themselves well... They know Suárez and Cavani quite well, so I expect 2 strong defenses in those matches at least. Maybe we end up a tie with both...

By the way, you guys have it quite rough, but you do have the team to surprise there. Your matches will be very interesting... Probably more open than ours, so careful with that defense !

Ive always thought the same about your creation problem, but I think Cavani and Suarez will probably get some chances that they will probably score them(Im not so sure about Cavani, everytime I see him play for Uruguay he seems invisible and not the same players he is in his club, not like Suarez).

Against Italy I think you just have to stop Pirlo and you take away 70% of their creation.

Speaking of us, Im pretty confident we can make good matches against Spain and Holland, if we somehow manage to "control" them with pressure hopefully we wont get many one-on-one situations where our defenders(except for Medel) would probably loose.

Bad thing is that both of them play the offensive-posession thing that we do and are not the traditional european stiff teams(Like England) that would fit us much more.

Anyway, after Chile, I will always support the rest of south americans, so good luck

Kane1389 said:
Smeags said:
chocoloco said:

Seems like the so called experts are already predicting USA to win their group. I might have to pay attention this time.

No, just no...no, no, no, no NOOO !

I thought the same thing when I read that haahaha

Smeags said:
chocoloco said:

How dare you :(

Around the Network

Qualifying from a group requires more then just good players, remember Germany made it to a final back in 2002 off an average team pulling together around Ballack despite going into the WC off a run of defeats to teams including the likes of Wales while then favourites Argentina and France both went out. The point being simply having a well known player is not a guarantee that they'll play well as national teams play vastly different then club sides. A lot of the predictions give me the impression of teams people want to go through rather then who can go through.

Thats alot of teams

Group H is the easiest, C is close after.

pastro243 said:

Speaking of us, Im pretty confident we can make good matches against Spain and Holland, if we somehow manage to "control" them with pressure hopefully we wont get many one-on-one situations where our defenders(except for Medel) would probably loose.

Bad thing is that both of them play the offensive-posession thing that we do and are not the traditional european stiff teams(Like England) that would fit us much more.

Anyway, after Chile, I will always support the rest of south americans, so good luck

Yeah... I was just watching the sports section of the news here and someone made a comment on how your group is more on the "technical" side while ours is more on the "physical" one. It will be quite difficult to take the ball from Spain if they're on their game though (it happened to us, not long ago...), so you might be forced to play more on the defensive side than you would want to. Holland is a bit more practical and frontal I believe, so you might end up sharing the ball with them.

Can't say I fully support the rest of South America here as you because... You know... Argentina and Brazil... >.< It's a love-hate relationship !

No issue with you guys though, so, good luck to you !

kowenicki said:
chocoloco said:

Then they aren't experts.  They MIGHT just get through by some set of weird circumstance, but I seriously doubt it.

USA beating Germany and Portugal? No way, man. And Ghana is actually a really good team as well, deffo top 3 on the African continent.