By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sell your Xbox one on eBay and you will lose

Iam glad them scalpers on eBay are only makeing 5 dollar profit.

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network

A profit is a profit lol we have a store called 'CEX' in the UK which buys PS4s for £400 (RRP is £350) i.e. instantaneous risk-free profit and £50 at that.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Here is what I did:
Bought 8 ps4's for around an avg of 420 per console
Bought 7 xbox one's for around 530 per console sold for around $670 a console
I have an ebay store for $20 a month for 2 months (have cancelled since all consoles were sold) but my fees for each console sold is 4%.
Ebay and paypal fees come out to be $47 +($15-$19) shipping (fedex home is the cheapest option and my cost included full insurance and signature)
So per xbox I got around $60-70
For the ps4 same deal and made around $90-$100 per console sold
in total I profited around $1200+

That's how you scalp

44 bucks for shipping? wtf?

NYCrysis said:
Here is what I did:
I have an ebay store for $20 a month for 2 months (have cancelled since all consoles were sold) but my fees for each console sold is 4%.
Ebay and paypal fees come out to be $47 +($15-$19) shipping (fedex home is the cheapest option and my cost included full insurance and signature)

That's how you scalp

that's also not much per console. more as op but it was so much better with ps3 and maybe wii/360

Around the Network

Try and sell the box or photo of the xbox one and advertise that for $400. You may even get a fool who will pay you $400 for the box or photo of the xbox one. Write a message on the back of the photo: "Thank you, for your purchase".

jaddow said:

Bought a Xbox one from Walmart for $529 solely on eBay for $680 with free shipping.

I paid eBay $68 thats 10 percent off the sale. paid PayPal  $19.84 thats 3% transaction charge.

The Xbox one weighs 17 pounds in the box it cost me $44 for shipping and handling.

I made less than $6  on the transaction  so how is it people are selling them for $570 on average sale on eBay today and making money?  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=xbox+one+console&_sop=1

EBay is making  more money than Microsoft or Sony on Xbox one or even PlayStation 4 sales

Yup. People who aren't familiar with ebay dont realize ebay+paypal takes 13% off the top. As you note, shipping can also be a profit killer, depending.

Plus you have to pay taxes and possibly shipping on the X1/PS4 as well when you buy them to resell. The "real" price of an X1 is more like $540, not the 499 people assume.

I roughly calculated the break even price for PS4 on ebay is ~$500, and for X1 ~$620. You need to sell it for that just to break even. And I think I assumed you charged enough for shipping to cover the actual cost of shipping as well (sometimes I will charge less).

As for how people make a profit, well if people can get the consoles without sales tax (say, living in a state where Amazon doesn't charge, or perhaps lucking out with an etailer that doesn't charge tax), or if they work at a a major retailer and can get an employee discount, can be a big leg up in making a ebay sale profitable.

I canceled 6 PS4 and 10 X1 preorders, simply because as D-Day drew near I realized they would not fetch much profit at the prices they were selling for. Not enough to be worth all the hassle and risk, anyway.

I currently have 1 Xbox one that I was able to secure at a discounted price ($462 after tax). Been casually looking to sell that, may throw it on craigslist. But I know a guy who has a PS4 around here on craigslist for 550 and said he isn't getting bites, so I'm reticent, especially with X1 seemingly often available at Amazon.

NYCrysis said:
Here is what I did:

That's how you scalp

Nice. I had a similar number, 6 PS4's and 10 XB1's. Canceled them all as launch approached.

Seems like the having an ebay store thing is some kind of loophole where ebay takes drastically less cut? did not know that.

jaddow said:

Bought a Xbox one from Walmart for $529 solely on eBay for $680 with free shipping.

I paid eBay $68 thats 10 percent off the sale. paid PayPal  $19.84 thats 3% transaction charge.

The Xbox one weighs 17 pounds in the box it cost me $44 for shipping and handling.

I made less than $6  on the transaction  so how is it people are selling them for $570 on average sale on eBay today and making money?  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=xbox+one+console&_sop=1

EBay is making  more money than Microsoft or Sony on Xbox one or even PlayStation 4 sales

First and foremost, stop paying for shipping. Its ridiculous, especially since ebay this past year increased their take from 5% to 10%

In addition to that they take a cut of what you get in the shipping charge, so add a handling charge, the shipping should be calculated so what you pay is what they pay, second, if you can't make more than that, you are wasting your time, if you made $6 dollars and it took you atleast an hour to get it all packaged up and shipped out, the price of gas back and forth and your time, thats a loss or atleast below minimum wage for your time.

fallen said:
NYCrysis said:
Here is what I did:

That's how you scalp

Nice. I had a similar number, 6 PS4's and 10 XB1's. Canceled them all as launch approached.

Seems like the having an ebay store thing is some kind of loophole where ebay takes drastically less cut? did not know that.

that ebay store thing saved my profits. paying $40 let me keep a good $40 per console sold. It really added up. And for a couple of hours of my life I like my profit margin.