By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - "Low-power" HTPC - advice?

Norris2k said:
I'm very happy with my Q1900DC-ITX.
- powerful enough for 1080p, disk sharing, torrent, any HTPC tasks, all at the same time, with ease
- 100% passive, the MB, the CPU/GPU, but also the power supply (AC/DC)
- extremely inexpensive, 120$ with a built-in CPU/GPU. With 4GB,
- very low wattage, not only the MB, CPU/GPU, but also the AC/DC adapter
- extremely simple to mount, no pico controller, not CPU to mount,
- worked out of the box with XBMC

Still, there are cons:
- I don't think it's able to manage 4K HD. But when I will need it, I will just buy the 120$ build of this time
- No game, really
- The point is that you don't use a PC power supply but an AC/DC adapter (like a laptop). But it's hard to find a case with no power supply case, so you can't really benefit from a small case

Nice, I've just been looking at the N3150DC-ITX and N3700-ITX, and they look good. The DC models are interesting to remove the noisy power unit. Will keep those in mind whenever I want to upgrade the HP Pavilion, thanks!

But as you can see in the post just above yours, I'm currently using a laptop mobo with its DC power.
Here are more pics of the laptop after taking of the keyboard and top out:

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

Nice, I've just been looking at the N3150DC-ITX and N3700-ITX, and they look good. The DC models are interesting to remove the noisy power unit. Will keep those in mind whenever I want to upgrade the HP Pavilion, thanks!

But as you can see in the post just above yours, I'm currently using a laptop mobo with its DC power.
Here are more pics of the laptop after taking of the keyboard and top out:

I didn't see your latest post, ended up answering the 2 years old post... Anyway, can't beat a free alternative ;)

Norris2k said:

I didn't see your latest post, ended up answering the 2 years old post... Anyway, can't beat a free alternative ;)

But thanks anyway for the suggestion, I was not aware they sold those DC models!

The free alternative was also fun. Enjoyed tearing down that laptop to its bare circuitry.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"