By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The reason why 3D Mario is not as popular as 2D Mario

TruckOSaurus said:
cyberninja45 said:

I cannot believe users have not realized how flawed that table is. In game A you face blue aliens, in game A 2 you face red aliens since in game A 2 there are no blue aliens there is no threat (what logic is that?).

Also the reason why 2d mario would sell more than 3d mario because it is more straightfoward (which has already been stated many times in this thread) but it is also little more than that.

The thing is the games that sell nintendo hardware are the more complex games such Zelda, Metriod and 3d Mario (lets just put it in there for good measure). While these by themselves don't seem to do mindblowing numbers the truth is any Zelda, Metriod or 3d mario fan would drop money on a new console to play these games (provided the games are up to standards). But the tricky part is that a Zelda fan may not buy a console for Metriod, and a Metriod fan may not buy a console for 3d mario and vice versa because each is complex and different in thier own way.

While on the other hand because of 2d mario simplicity  it would be bought by mostly any gamer once it is on their console. So what you end up with is a zelda fan buying a nintendo console and picks up 2d mario btw, a metriod fan buying a nintendo console and gets 2d mario btw and a 3d mario fan picking up 2d mario btw, increasing the sales of 2d mario by 3x.

Which is the reason why NSMBU failed to move as much hardware but will probably outsell any of these games IF they make it to wiiU.

Considering that Wii Sports sold the Wii, I'd say simple games are better system sellers than complex games.

When you consider wii sports you have to consider the pull motion controls had which is something different altogether.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

only level 1's seriously ? RoflStoppable. See what I did there?

Arius Dion said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
Player2 said:
chocoloco said:

Dude making gaming generalizations based on this forum is anti-vgc we use numbers here and they do not reflect vgc opinions. 

chocoloco said:
I thought 2D Mario was made in a day when there was a lot less gaming diversity.

And making claims based on vague childhood memories (at best) is ok?

Since you mention numbers, there are eight different genres in VGC's top 20 best selling NES games but only six in the PS3 top 20. On top of that, gaming wasn't limited to consoles back then, we had something called arcades, plus PC gaming wasn't about playing console games at a bearable framerate. Both arcades and PCs had their own dominant genres.

100% agree. Younger folks don't do their research.

@OP: My sincerest thanks for highlighting this. This crusade of depriving 2D Marios of these things is very strange. Business 101 says to give attention to the games that sell the most. Why Miyamoto feels the need to convert 2D fans into 3D fans is assinine (ass-uh-ten, ass-u-eleven) I just wish for a 2D Mario game that pushes boundaries like the NES/SNES days.

ive been hearing this for awhile, but push boundaries...how? what are they supposed to do? Its not like they are NOT making 2d mario, hell we got two last year and DLC this year.

When did a 2D Mario release with recycled music? Recycled Graphics? Recycled Enemies? Recycled Levels? When did a 2D Mario bring nothing new to the table? NSMB series is so uninspired its insulting.

As the OP states, the 3D Marios get all the good stuff, the music, new worlds, old favorite powerups. I'd love an HD remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 with high production values new levels, worlds etc.

you say that NSMB is uninspiring (and I agree) then you say you want an HD REMAKE of Mario 3? sounds legit.

IMHO i kind of dont blame. Like you say its clear they dont care too much about 2d mario at least not as much as 3d, and really. Why would they? Look how much sales they are getting from NOT even trying, hell theyve been recycling stuff and people are still buying it by the MILLIONS. So why change, the message is clear that the fans dont care so why should they

prayformojo said:
Arius Dion said:
Another note; Mario's popularity didn't start with the jump to 3D. It began with Super Mario Bros. In fact, it can be said that Mario's popularity dropped the moment the jump to 3D was made.

3D Mario is not the Mario the masses fell in love with. No matter how deprived the devs make 2D Mario in favor of 3D it doesn't change the fact that 2D is more popular.

Look at Pac-Man. What happened when he made the jump to 3D? The game is no longer Pac-man, it is something else. Sonic, same thing, the jump to 3D killed him, because the phenom started with 2D.

The same for Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden. A games that is invented for 2D, should STAY 2D. The only exception is Metroid because Prime was genius imo. It's the only game I've played in 3D that I enjoyed more than it's 2D cousin. (not that I don't love 2D metroid).

Zelda and GTA?

padib said:
oniyide said:

you say that NSMB is uninspiring (and I agree) then you say you want an HD REMAKE of Mario 3? sounds legit.

IMHO i kind of dont blame. Like you say its clear they dont care too much about 2d mario at least not as much as 3d, and really. Why would they? Look how much sales they are getting from NOT even trying, hell theyve been recycling stuff and people are still buying it by the MILLIONS. So why change, the message is clear that the fans dont care so why should they

Blam. And that's why competition is good, so Nintendo can't get away with this attitude. That alone could make up a great thread topic.

its all you, i can see a topic like that really pissing people off. The irony is that the ones complaining are buyng it ANYWAY. Unfortunately there is no competition at least not for Mario, he is so ingrained in peoples mind that it doesnt matter if there are dozens of better alternatives out there, people will go with what is safe and familar, hell the genreal consensus is Rayman Origins is better than any NSMB game before it but people dont care. Hell i still say Sonic and Sega transformed is the best kart racer in years, doesnt matter.

Around the Network

"It's because 3D Mario is too difficult, too complex, too sophisticated. It's for the core. 2D Mario players are casuals."

Who are these imaginary people that make such a statement?

Are we basing this on how the New Super Mario Bros. series sold? That proves that the 2D Mario games are more popular?

The original on 3DS and the Wii version were heavily bundled for quite a long time. I wouldn't read much more into it than that. ¬_¬

RolStoppable said:
Hynad said:

Are we basing this on how the New Super Mario Bros. series sold? That proves that the 2D Mario games are more popular?

The original on 3DS and the Wii version were heavily bundled for quite a long time. I wouldn't read much more into it than that. ¬_¬

It's based on how 2D Mario games sold. You can even include the two Super Mario Land games.

NSMB on the DS and NSMB Wii each sold over 20m standalone copies. I really don't like the revisionism that those games sold because of bundles. Rather they were bundled, because they were already among the most popular games. The same holds true for Mario Kart Wii which had already sold over 20m copies before its first appearance in a bundle.

Revisionist? Sold that much before it was bundled? Do you have access to that data? Mario Kart was heavily bundled too.

But since 2D Mario is where your preferrence lies, you'll dismiss anything that doesn't support your stance. -__-

I did notice something last night on 3D World; when you rotate the camera, you have to look in the direction you're supposed to be going. ie. you can't look back on the way you came.

I assume this is due to that possibility of getting lost, and accessibility. And also that every level has a goal post; even the boss fights.

Just an observation that ties into this discussion.

RolStoppable said:
Hynad said:

Revisionist? Sold that much before it was bundled? Do you have access to that data? Mario Kart was heavily bundled too.

But since 2D Mario is where your preferrence lies, you'll dismiss anything that doesn't support your stance. -__-

Announcement of bundles in October 2010. First official bundles for both, NSMB and NSMB Wii:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2010/oct/11/wii-ds-super-mario-bundles

Announcement of first official Mario Kart Wii bundle in November 2010:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24442

VGC sales data

NSMB was released in mid-2006 (May and June), so direct your eyes a bit past the 150 weeks mark. NSMB Wii was released in November 2009, so look at the 50 weeks mark. Both games already past the 15m mark which is more than any 3D Mario game ever achieved; and it's not like the standalone versions stopped selling after bundles became available, especially because those red consoles were limited editions as far as I know. Mario Kart Wii was released in April 2008, so the first bundle happened after the 100 weeks mark.

Can't seem to access the weekly rundown of the sales data. Only the first 10 weeks. Will look into that later today when I get back home.