By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
Mr Puggsly said:
C64 said:

DVD wasn't an option in terms of HD gaming. Also wasn't X360 forcing HD-DVD on ppl?

???

The 360 offered HD gaming, so DVD was an option for HD gaming.

Yes, HD-DVD was forced on people... in bizarro world.

At least I know now what your purpose of this thread was, so thanks for that.

You may compare Move with Kinect, IF(!) it was forced on users, but comparing a gadget with a data medium is a comparison that fits well into bizarro world

Around the Network
C64 said:

You may compare Move with Kinect, IF(!) it was forced on users, but comparing a gadget with a data medium is a comparison that fits well into bizarro world

Two expensive gadgets that didn't really benefit the core gaming experience, that is the comparison.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

sales2099 said:
Good idea.....PS3 was $599 because of Bluray. It read discs slower, and required many mandatory installs, where as the 360 version would require megabytes for game saves....

Aside from the occasional exclusive that actually took up most of the space, the vast majority of the generations games were on one disc for 360/PS3. Near the end 360 games had a "install" disk so there wasn't any disc swapping needed anyway (Halo 4 and GTA5 come to mind).

The X360 was my Jrpg machine for the first few years but man the disc swapping was terrible for 360's jrpg's. I hated the 4 discs of LO (even though the game is great) but the absolute worst was 2009's Star Ocean the last hope with it's disc swapping. If I wanted to visit a previous planet for any reason I had to switch the disc back and forth for exploration purposes. I agree Blu-ray was forced but man am I ever glad it was because I didn't need to do any disc swapping on the PS3 for my jrpg's.

C64 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
C64 said:

DVD wasn't an option in terms of HD gaming. Also wasn't X360 forcing HD-DVD on ppl?

???

The 360 offered HD gaming, so DVD was an option for HD gaming.

Yes, HD-DVD was forced on people... in bizarro world.

Well said. 

Blood_Tears said:
sales2099 said:
Good idea.....PS3 was $599 because of Bluray. It read discs slower, and required many mandatory installs, where as the 360 version would require megabytes for game saves....

Aside from the occasional exclusive that actually took up most of the space, the vast majority of the generations games were on one disc for 360/PS3. Near the end 360 games had a "install" disk so there wasn't any disc swapping needed anyway (Halo 4 and GTA5 come to mind).

The X360 was my Jrpg machine for the first few years but man the disc swapping was terrible for 360's jrpg's. I hated the 4 discs of LO (even though the game is great) but the absolute worst was 2009's Star Ocean the last hope with it's disc swapping. If I wanted to visit a previous planet for any reason I had to switch the disc back and forth for exploration purposes. I agree Blu-ray was forced but man am I ever glad it was because I didn't need to do any disc swapping on the PS3 for my jrpg's.

Ya...there was the JRPG thing. But while you enjoyed the hell out of them, they were niche on 360, despite MS's best efforts.

They would have done much better with a "install disc" rather then having 4 disks.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Sony created the tech. They know how far it can go and they've been saying since the first Eyetoy that having a camera without a peripheral for games is folly. That would be 2004 to be exact. Microsoft never created the tech so they dont know anything about anything. They just know what they want you to believe.

Kinect offers HD quality camera, Microphone to communicate with your consoles and motion control.

Camera is part of the gaming landscape now, 3DS, PSV, WiiU, PS4 all use a camera in some form. 

The Kinect is a very useful accessory even if you ignored the motion control. Don't tell me the tech doesn't work, you've use it yourself, you know that it work. 

I just mentioned two games that are reliant on the Kinect, Just Dance and Dance Central without the Kinect these game would not sale as much as they do on Xbox 360 and now on Xbox One. 

Mr Puggsly said:
mutantclown said:
Mr Puggsly said:
mutantclown said:

False. It did for PS3 games, exclusives and even some multiplats.

Examples please.

I hope you have better examples than disc swaps and sharper video.

The generation is 8 years old already and gone, if you don't know the reasons I'm truly sorry for you. But not really.

Right, that means your best examples were probably disc swaps and sharper video.

That's all you can come up with, that's really sad. Stop bringing that up, it's almost embarrasing. 

yvanjean said:

Sony created the tech. They know how far it can go and they've been saying since the first Eyetoy that having a camera without a peripheral for games is folly. That would be 2004 to be exact. Microsoft never created the tech so they dont know anything about anything. They just know what they want you to believe.

Kinect offers HD quality camera, Microphone to communicate with your consoles and motion control.

Camera is part of the gaming landscape now, 3DS, PSV, WiiU, PS4 all use a camera in some form. 

The Kinect is a very useful accessory even if you ignored the motion control. Don't tell me the tech doesn't work, you've use it yourself, you know that it work. 

Whats the point apart from Sony made the tech and they know how far it can go? Sony knows Microsoft is stuck in mini-game hell and cannot actually controll 3D realms or manipulate them properly without a peripheral. This is why Sony created the Move. They knew this a full generation before 

I just mentioned two games that are reliant on the Kinect, Just Dance and Dance Central without the Kinect these game would not sale as much as they do on Xbox 360 and now on Xbox One. 

Whats the point apart from Sony made the tech and they know how far it can go? Sony knows Microsoft is stuck in mini-game hell and cannot actually controll 3D realms or manipulate them properly without a peripheral. This is why Sony created the Move. They knew this a full generation before. Just Dance and Dance Central is the best you're ever going to get out of the Kinect. Sony has already proven their point that peripherals and cameras can complete a core experience especially for those who dont like to game as much. Microsoft has failed, but they failed in style because it made them more money thanks to great marketing and good multimedia integration which is much better this time. After playing Killzone and the FIght on the Move there is no contest and I still believe the the cameras should be optional. 

Microsoft will probably succeed with their multimedia/cable integration with the Kinect commands and all. I think everyone needs to turn their heads away from the Kinect and look at the cloud. Something that will become as essential as Sony's format driving in the console realm. Both are invested in it and they know its going to be big.

Can this thread get locked?
I like to argue but this turned out insane. Pointless.

Yes... I already have a câmera, but didn't had a bluray

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."