By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I totally agree that preference is preference, but I've played Dead Rising, Killer Instinct and Ryse and I can truly say today that Kinect is truly optional. Since you have such a problem with me I'll just end it there. You guys never seemed to have a problem with me in the earlier days when I prefered the 360 at that time.

Maybe that is the problem.

On the serious note, your arguments drag for a while and you like to downplay systems other than PS brand.

I guess I'm more of a "taste is relative" guy than "your option  sucks" type of guy.

I didn't know you were a 360 gamer. I hope you didn't do what you do now to PS fans "back in the earlier days".

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

I'll be blunt, I can't point to a single game that was better thanks to Bluray. The best things Bluray had to offer on PS3 is higher quality video and no disc swaps.

It appears to me the only thing that motivated Sony to push Bluray was royalties and it made the PS3 signficantly more expensive. Had PS3 not included Bluray, it might have launched for $399.

Not everyone wants Kinect, but not everyone wanted Bluray either. So I ask again! Is forcing Kinect on people any different than Sony forcing Bluray on us for PS3?!

Yes, but in the end perhaps both might be better for the industry? Strange thing for me to say, I know, but you have to wonder. You could say the same for the wiiu pad as well, and now we have vita remote play and interaction with ps4 games, smart glass, ps4 eye, and xb1 bluray...hey maybe one day all three consoles will have all these things as standard.

Was Sony forcing CDs on us with PS1 any different to MS forcing Kinect on Xb one?

Of course not.

Sony had to pick a disc format with PS3 to use to deliver the gaming content. It is an essential part of the console. Without a disc drive there would be no console.

Kinect is not essential to any aspect of Xb one gaming functionality.

Blu-ray wasn't essential, but a disc format of some sort was essential.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Was Sony forcing CDs on us with PS1 any different to MS forcing Kinect on Xb one?

Of course not.

Sony had to pick a disc format with PS3 to use to deliver the gaming content. It is an essential part of the console. Without a disc drive there would be no console.

Kinect is not essential to any aspect of Xb one gaming functionality.

Blu-ray wasn't essential, but a disc format of some sort was essential.

In a rapid evolving world of online interactivity, it would be dumb for MS not to consider Kinect essential.

There's nothing wrong with more options.

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I totally agree that preference is preference, but I've played Dead Rising, Killer Instinct and Ryse and I can truly say today that Kinect is truly optional. Since you have such a problem with me I'll just end it there. You guys never seemed to have a problem with me in the earlier days when I prefered the 360 at that time.

Maybe that is the problem.

On the serious note, your arguments drag for a while and you like to downplay systems other than PS brand.

I guess I'm more of a "taste is relative" guy than "your option  sucks" type of guy.

I didn't know you were a 360 gamer. I hope you didn't do what you do now to PS fans "back in the earlier days".

I bought a 360 first for the same reason I am buying the Xbox One first. Microsoft buys exclusivity, so I play the games on Microsoft until Sony builds up their library of truer exclusives. I (like many) play the multiplats on the Xbox and the exclusives Sony.  Games are the most important thing to me than a brand. I go to where they are more of them, hence why I am getting an Xbox One first. Simple. Sony makes more successful games but if Microsoft has games themselves I cannot deny them. That would just be stupid. I trust Sony to game development prowess more than Microsoft, yes. But when Microsoft starts spending money on exclusive shit, Sony cannot compete. They couldnt last gen and they still cannot today. Titanfall is big on my list and I am not waiting until Titanfall 2 on the PS4 to play it, so I guess I'll be seeing you on the Xbox One.

Around the Network

yeah they could have stuck to DVD but wouldnt a better comparison, be say GC's disc? its a disc, they picked it. I personally like watching bluray movies and I like that its scratch resistant and i like that i dont swap discs, that enough for me personally. Kinect has a few cool games but thats about it, maybe on 1 it will be better.

Goatseye said:
Normchacho said:
This is a pretty silly comparison...Some people don't like voice controls or don't see the value in spending the extra money for the kinect.

Blu ray is objectivity better than dvd. The only drawback was that it was very expensive when the PS3 launched. It may not have had huge benefits for gamers last gen but the impact that the PS3 blu ray drive had on physical media as a whole and gaming this generation is pretty obvious.

Not really sure how you didn't think of that immediately.

Not really obvious! People are still buying more DVDs and most likely in the future switch to digital.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2013

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2013

Of course they are. These changes take a rather long time. The gap between dvd and vhs was huge and it still took a very long time for dvds to start outselling vhs (2003, only 3 years before blu ray came out). This time around, the average consumer isn't seeing the same kind of drastic change they did going from a cassette to a disc. 

P.S. You should really look at the difference in BR market share between 2012 and 2013. Looking at the top 10 from each list the market share for BR went from 32.67% in 2012 to 41.25% in 2013.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Goatseye said:
Normchacho said:

I'm sorry, a bit (well, very) offtopic here...but I'm a huge car guy and leather has nothing to do with a Ferrari being a Ferrari. In fact, the new 458 Speciale doesn't have leather seats. Rolls, or Bentley? Sure, but Ferrari? No.

I was talking about an envisioned component, it could be diamond seats.

But it's still a bad analogy. The Kinect and BR drive are defining components of their respective consoles. Leather is just some dime a dozen feature that has no real tie to the car company you used.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

No. Its pretty simple to conclude if you compare what other uses the devices have.

oniyide said:
 and i like that i dont swap discs

What we really need is a disc stacker for Blu-Rays that are compatible with Xbox, Playstation and PC.
Kinda' like the Disc Stackers for cars before MP3's became prevelant.
Like this:

That would truly be awesome, on the PC I'm spoiled when it comes to games not needing discs, never have to worry about swapping, scratching or loosing the darn things and people can't borrow them and do the same, this would still be awesome though for Blu-rays that need to be transcoded on the fly.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--