By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One 1080p Captures With and Without Filter

SvennoJ said:

Looks like most of you are missing the point.

It's no use saying which one looks better on your screen, it's a matter of correctly calibrating the screen. The big issue is that the XBox One alters the image by applying gamma adjustment, contrast enhancement and sharpness filter, things you can set to your own liking on any display, but you can't undo them. The details in the darker area are lost, as well as detail in the brightest areas of the picture, plus the ringing effect of the sharpness filter will highlight any aliasing artifacts in moving pictures. Fake detail doesn't make it look better.

Which is why I say that you could most likely get a nicer picture by setting it to 720p and set your TV manually. This filter isn't good.

It is probably why Crytek chose to use their own.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
SvennoJ said:

It's no use saying which one looks better on your screen, it's a matter of correctly calibrating the screen. The big issue is that the XBox One alters the image by applying gamma adjustment, contrast enhancement and sharpness filter, things you can set to your own liking on any display, but you can't undo them. The details in the darker area are lost, as well as detail in the brightest areas of the picture, plus the ringing effect of the sharpness filter will highlight any aliasing artifacts in moving pictures. Fake detail doesn't make it look better.

Which is why I say that you could most likely get a nicer picture by setting it to 720p and set your TV manually. This filter isn't good.

Sure if it's a 720p game anyway, not really a good solution for a 900p game.

I ended up doing the same on 360. Alan wake in 720p mode looked a lot bettter on my 1080p screen then letting the 360 do the upsaling. I was hoping this problem was fixed, now it seems they've only made it worse. Hopefully there will be a system setting to turn all those image adjustments off by the time I buy One.

Euphoria14 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yeah, I don't see many others making there own, so this will probably be the norm.  It also explains why the Ryse vids I have seen had the same "washed out" look that the PS3 games have had when compared to the 360.  They wanted people to see the detail, not crushed blacks.

SvennoJ said:
Euphoria14 said:
SvennoJ said:

I ended up doing the same on 360. Alan wake in 720p mode looked a lot bettter on my 1080p screen then letting the 360 do the upsaling. I was hoping this problem was fixed, now it seems they've only made it worse. Hopefully there will be a system setting to turn all those image adjustments off by the time I buy One.

I meant adjusting TV settings for KI. Killer Instinct is a native 720p title. I would like someone here to set it into 720p and adjust their TV and post some pics.

Ryse was 900p, which is why they went with their own solution rather than Microsofts.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
SvennoJ said:

That was what I was saying some posts above you, sure it might look good to someone who doesn't know a lot on how a TV is set-up and all those things but as soon as you see a comparison you just can't say that the above pics are better. It's unnatural it's not pleasing for the eye and it frankly isn't what the artist intended that the motion picture should look like.

Again as for the aliasing there is some heavy flaws there, maybe they could apply "the AA filter" - to a lesser degree - that they are using in the upscaler without the blacks because that would be the best thing because as of right now if there was some text on those black areas you wouldn't see SH*T

Around the Network

Plus and minus for both. Much better looking colors, but as a result there are crushing blacks.  I think Killer Instinct benefits from it though.

kowenicki said:

so the two posters above me stated the same but you jump on mine. 

I'd love to see what you think is a good movie picture or good photograph.

washed out colours and no contrast for you it seems. 

I didnt say the top pics were perfect... i said they were better.

thanks.

The top ones look better because they are upscaled I think. Colors are so off on them it is laughable. If you don't like the bottom ones then the colors can be adjusted, the top comes from the source directly like that.

Only one user stated the same and we argued with him about the same subject about Call of Duty, so no need to repeat the same thing. It seems Xbone owners like crushed blacks so I guess overall a good choice to mess up the colors.

Would go with bottom pics and adjust TV as I like...top pics look horribly crushed.

pezus said:

Both have their flaws. Top pics have crushed blacks while bottom has way more aliasing and looks washed out. Personally I'd take the crushed blacks

There is no need to make a compromise though. It should be like the top pictures with better colors.

Euphoria14 said:
SvennoJ said:
Euphoria14 said:
SvennoJ said:

I meant adjusting TV settings for KI. Killer Instinct is a native 720p title. I would like someone here to set it into 720p and adjust their TV and post some pics.

Ryse was 900p, which is why they went with their own solution rather than Microsofts.

Taking pictures off-screen isn't that easy.
Here is a simple comparison, I applied an equal and opposite basic contrast adjustment to 2 images from the OP trying to even them out
Upscaled version first, the 720p original image second (like in the OP)

The second image looks richer in colors now, and detail has been lost from the first image.
My point is that it's the display that's responsible for the final image quality, which everyone can set to their own preference. The console should not apply any image adjustments, that only destroys detail and makes it incompatible with other inputs.