By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Report Claims Xbox 360 Failure Rate at 16% (Most from original motherboard)

16% RROD 360 went to SquareTrade, while the other 15-30% went back to Microsoft for repaire. and nother 2-3% of jackasses buy another one and return their old xbox in the new box.

Yeah, you know who you are. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
Legend11 said:

In taking statistics, the two most important factors are sample size and randomness. By using a pool of over 1000 redeemed warranties, the report's sample size is sufficient. On the other hand, since the sampling was taken from people who have to seek SquareTrade's warranty service out, the possibility exists that the randomness factor could be skewed, leaning towards heavy system users who are more likely to overheat their 360s. This doesn't invalidate the report by any means, but it is worth keeping mind.

1UP has contacted Microsoft for comment, but as of press time we haven't received a response."

I can't be the only one that thinks those comments are outrageous. This 1up guy is actually trying to convince readers that the failure rate is lower than suggested! I think the estimate of 16% is being incredibly generous to MS. Among the people I know, the failure rate is over 100% (yes, that is possible). I know 2 people that have their original 360 (received this xmas) and all the rest are on at least their second, some on their fourth. In contrast, I don't know a single person with a PS3 or Wii that has experienced any hardware failure. That is obviously anecdotal, but it seems to chime with the experiences of others.

You have to ask yourself why 1up would suggest it is lower than 16%, when that is in direct contradiction to the experiences of most people. 

kingofwale said:
16% RROD 360 went to SquareTrade, while the other 15-30% went back to Microsoft for repaire. and nother 2-3% of jackasses buy another one and return their old xbox in the new box.

do you understand how statistics work? of the warranties held through sqaure trade 16% of them were invoked for repairs, and of that 60% were rrod, and they were primarily the older motherboard,

well I hopes it's true, as microsoft repaired my 360, so I see another rrod in short order and eventually they'll have to replace it instead of repairing it and it'd be nice to get a more reliable falcon motherboard 

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice to see it comming down

I think this is a frieghtening statistic.

Let us not forget that a large portion of people never use these extended warranties, that is why companies make so much money off of them(much like mail in reabtes).

Someone has already pointed out that the manufacturer has extended everyones warranty to cover the RROD. So many people, and I would be one of them, would assume the manufacturer would be the better choice when they are covered both ways.

Many people just buy a new one, or give up on a product when it breaks. Just becasue we are all well-informed and passionate about gaming doen't mean others will bother(most of their sample will as they bothered to get an extended warranty but there are some who won't).

The add on warranties always go into effect for a product after the initial manufacturers warranty expires, so many units could have died in the initial period. I also doubt these warrantes will last to a resonable lifetime (5 years) let alone the 10 years I expect out of a console.

The quote suggested that the rate could be higher because many of those systems just haven't been pushed enough yet, so why is 1up saying it is only power users who buy warranties have screwed up the average.

For me I assume the 360 has a 100% failure rate. If it is used hard enough for long enough it will RROD. Hate me if you will but the problem is a design flaw not a case where one manufacturing line had a problem of they had a case of faulty components. Now for the average use over a 5 year timeframe it probably wont be 100%, but I think north of the 33%. Also the new heatsink and falcon chips help and may push it closer to resonalbe but I am still guessing mare than average for a console.

The GPU puts off too much heat and warps the motherboard, until that goes 45nm(it will this year) the problem will not go away even for new models. The falcon was only the CPU.

And what is with the other 40% of the problems, that is like 6% failure rate. Double the console average without even taking into account above factors or the RROD. Please Microsoft take extra time with the next system, if you ever wont to succed outside the US, no more Pintos.

And if Microsoft really is thinking 3% for the $1 Billion they set aside. My guess is it will end up costing them 10 million systems times $300 or $3 Billion. Ouch!

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

I have had 2 I sold the one I bought launch day and had refurbished when the Elite came out, and I am awaiting my Elite's return now from MS. First one was RROD second was disk read error.

PS3(60GB)/360(Elite)/Wii/SNES/Ultimate Gaming PC owner :)

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that shit. I'm truly amazed that this is socially acceptable and believe people on their 3rd, 4th,etc... are masochists. It's almost as if they are brainwashed not to care!!!!

hmmm...........

So what do you win if your prefered console sells more than another?

masschamber said:
kingofwale said:

do you understand how statistics work? of the warranties held through sqaure trade 16% of them were invoked for repairs, and of that 60% were rrod, and they were primarily the older motherboard,

well I hopes it's true, as microsoft repaired my 360, so I see another rrod in short order and eventually they'll have to replace it instead of repairing it and it'd be nice to get a more reliable falcon motherboard

If I may, King:

I think what King means is that a certain percentage of people who could have delt with SquareTrade for their warranty went directly through Microsoft's customer service. Therefore, they would still have failure, but they will have delt with the problem privately with the manufacturer and not through a third-party warranter, such as SquareTrade.

I think that the natural order when something breaks down is to call its customer support, then if that fails, in desperation you try to find a third party.

Example: SquareTrade warrants 1000 fubars (fictitious product)

500 fubars fail. 200 fubar owners call Acme customer support and they handle the situation. 300 fubar owners call SquareTrade who handle the situation. To SquareTrade, 30% warranty contracts are invoked. This does not change the fact that the actual failure rate was 50%.

This report is hardly conclusive, and it assumes that all failures were returned directly to them. It's a broken report as most people call MS first and get their replacement directly from them. Further, a lot of these warranties do not cover you if MS will still replace it.

The failure rate is way, way above 16%. Most likely way above 30%. Look at the gaming press as a sample: Joystiq had 9 out of 10 of their Xbox owners replaced it at least once. This is a > 90% failure rate. Arstechinca had one reporter with 4+ failures and another with multiple failures also.

Claiming the failure rate is 16% or even anywhere in that ballpark is outright denial and flies in the face of all of the evidence we see. Including, but not limited to, the amount of Money MS set aside for repairs. Do you really believe it costs them $1000 to repair a unit? Chances are it is much, much less (under $100) and chances are they'll have to issue additional funds to keep the repair process going.

The former MS employee said the failure rate was "about 30%", and he'd have a lot better information than a tiny sample warranty reseller.

We have no real information here.  Just some company claiming the failure rate is much, much lower than it appears to be.  Even at 16%, the 360 would officially be the shittiest hardware ever released into the home console market (not surpring that it's from MS as no one would expect that from Sony, Nintendo or Sega), but claiming that it's 16% based on some poor data is just silly. 

Even if it is 16 percent -- that means one out of every six 360s die within a year.

That is not exactly good news. Twice as good as one-out-of-three. Twice as bad as one-out-of-30ish (the industry standard).

Anecdotally, virtually every 360 owner I know has had to send their unit back for repairs. Not a good sign.

I will say that similar anecdotal evidence points to better QC with the newer units.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV