By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Critically panned games that you love?

1. Starhawk (One of my favorite games of all time)

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
My list was only current gen games. I'll add some more through various generations.

Driver
Mega Man X6(people don't like this one for some reason. After X and X4 it's my favorite in the series.)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest(good game. better than alot of non beginner RPGs.)

How are these broken games? Driver is amazing, it's what GTA should have been like on PS1, and Megaman/FF are both perfectly normal games.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Too Human. It's a very flawed game, one which overall feels unfinished since it's missing whole cinematics, reuses the same dialogue repeatedly, and even re-uses unique characters who fight with you (i.e. there are random clones of people).

Project Sylpheed (360) Not sure if this counts because it's not a broken game, but it's a 9/10 game IMO, that just got bad reviews because it's 4 hours long.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

I've never seen the argument against short games :|

]

Vikki said:
Michael-5 said:

Too Human. It's a very flawed game, one which overall feels unfinished since it's missing whole cinematics, reuses the same dialogue repeatedly, and even re-uses unique characters who fight with you (i.e. there are random clones of people).

Project Sylpheed (360) Not sure if this counts because it's not a broken game, but it's a 9/10 game IMO, that just got bad reviews because it's 4 hours long.

I think it got some points down for other reasons too, but it's a completely ignored gem. It's like a Starfox JRPG in HD, pretty fun!

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Vikki said:
Michael-5 said:

I think it got some points down for other reasons too, but it's a completely ignored gem. It's like a Starfox JRPG in HD, pretty fun!

That sounds pretty kickass tbh! I'll give a look :D

]

Around the Network
Vikki said:
Michael-5 said:
Vikki said:
Michael-5 said:

That sounds pretty kickass tbh! I'll give a look :D

If you can find it in stores, it's also only $5. I think I paid $10 for this game in 2009, and yea it's pretty kickass. I think I beat it a couple times actually.

However to show you how short the game is, you unlock one achievement for shotting down 1,000,000 enemy ships, and that happens after 17 playthroughs....which is about 50 hours. They made an achievement for beating the game 17 times!

Michael-5 said:
kupomogli said:
My list was only current gen games. I'll add some more through various generations.

Driver
Mega Man X6(people don't like this one for some reason. After X and X4 it's my favorite in the series.)

How are these broken games? Driver is amazing, it's what GTA should have been like on PS1, and Megaman/FF are both perfectly normal games.

The op isn't asking broken games or not.  It's stated critically panned games by the media or fanbase.  I almost never see anyone saying anything good about the early Driver games.  Quite the opopsite infact.  Even those that have passed the first mission or atleast so they say, always say it's a bad series of games.  The only bad ones in the franchise are 2 and 3, and even those are better than the GTA games in my opinion.  However people still do bash the first and fourth games.

A good majority of RPG fans bash Mystic Quest for being a beginner RPG.  Same with Mega Man X6.  A lot of fans don't like it at all.

Brutalyst said:
pokoko said:

Dragon Age 2 - I absolutely loved the game.  There were aspects of DA:O I liked more, of course, but I will never understand how someone could ignore all the improvements.  The combat in DA2 is improved to such a degree that it would be hard for me to go back to the simplicity of DA:O.  As someone who reads a lot, I really liked the different style of narrative, too, and that it had a story beyond the tired "save the world by killing orcs".  All told, it was a blast despite the flaws, most of which were minor even if they were plentiful.

Bloodrayne - Yeah, I said it.  The game was awesome.  The story was so much fun and so original (compared to most games).  I loved how she sucked a Nazi's blood while using them as a shield and her dialogue was flat-out entertaining.  I also liked the whole mechanic of picking up guns and using them until they were empty then tossing them, like she couldn't be bothered with the details of reloading and keeping spare magazines.  She was just so bad-ass.

Never played Bloodrayne, but about Dragon Age... I agree with your plus points, but how can you ignore the negatives? repetetive dungeons using the same skin over and over, the way they dumbed down the character customization (the armour alone was so limited). DA:O wasnt perfect by any means, but I played through it 10 times, and DA2 once, due to the repetetiveness. I meam, to each his own, but I would still like to know :P

I'm not ignoring the negatives.  The way they reused the dungeons was annoying.  The changes to companion gear were a mixed bag, though, as I was extremely glad I didn't have to spend hours sorting gear.  They went too far with it, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me.  With DA:O, I literally used to spend 30 minutes a day dealing with inventory problems.

At the same time, the improvements to combat counted for a lot.  DA:O combat could be flat-out boring, especially on extra play-throughs when you new where the enemies were.  Set-and-pull, set-and-pull.  If you had a Rogue with traps, it was over-powered.  DA2 was a lot more difficult in that regard and a lot more entertaining.

The environments were the biggest negative.  Personally, however, as long as the enemies were different, it didn't bother me as much.  They really need to fix it for DA3 and I'm sure they will.

The way I see it, DA:O had a ton of problems but it was fun to play and DA2 had a ton of problems but was also fun to play.  It was fine with DA2 not being a rehash of DA:O and I was especially happy that the narrative wasn't a simple Lord of the Rings rip.  I've read too many fantasy novels to be impressed with the story in DA:O, which was hellishly weak--though, of course, it was intended to be simplistic, as it was really just a prelude.

Nier, Baroque, Enchanted Arms. Those are the ones I found that really didn't deserve to get the ratings they did.

kupomogli said:
Michael-5 said:
kupomogli said:

Driver

The op isn't asking broken games or not.  It's stated critically panned games by the media or fanbase.  I almost never see anyone saying anything good about the early Driver games.  Quite the opopsite infact.  Even those that have passed the first mission or atleast so they say, always say it's a bad series of games.  The only bad ones in the franchise are 2 and 3, and even those are better than the GTA games in my opinion.  However people still do bash the first and fourth games.

A good majority of RPG fans bash Mystic Quest for being a beginner RPG.  Same with Mega Man X6.  A lot of fans don't like it at all.

Really? I never looked at the reviews, but I loved Driver. Yea the training mission is a chore, and kinda hard, but the game later on is just awesome. The only bad ones were Driver 2 & 3? I personally loved 2 the most, with Driver 1 a second favorite. Driv3r was also good, but I never finished it because I feel GTA was a lot more polished.

Good to know about FF and MMX6. I own the Mega Man X collection, as well as X1 & X2 for SNES, and honestly, I don't care for the franchise after the first 3. I don't feel it pushes the PS1 as much as it could have, and there are just too many iterations. Annual iterations of pretty much any franchise, kill the hype for me. I used to love COD....