By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What console first had online gaming?

Nes,wow that was even before the internet.

Around the Network

Genesis (Mega Drive) or SNES.

There was this one Zelda game that was a Japan exclusive which was later translated and distributed as a rom but it was a Zelda that was downloaded over the net the character wasn't link it was supposed to be "you" and it was pretty much an updated graphically version of the original Zelda on NES.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

online with NES wow, i didnt know that

What first had online multiplayer?

Around the Network

Oops the service I mentioned wasn't for online gaming, my apologies. There was XBand though which did have online gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND

"XBAND was an early online console gaming network for SNES and Sega Genesis systems. It was produced by the Cupertino, California software company Catapult Entertainment, and made its debut in late 1994 and 1995 in various areas of the United States. It is the precursor to modern online gaming social networks seen in the seventh generation of video games, most notably, that of the Xbox Live service."

Dammit Legend11! I swear, I just remembered XBAND service, and you beat me again! You've made yourself a powerful enemy today.

BTW, I'm sending you a friend request. Please accept.

It depends on your definition of online gaming. The Atari 2600 could download games from the internet and play them for a short time. The NES had a similar service and from what I have come across the SNES, by way of the Xband(U.S.) and Satellaview(Japan), was the first that allowed Online multiplayer gaming by way of a home console.

the 2600

As others have said, it depends on how you define "online gaming." I'd say the Saturn was the really the first. While other services enabled online before then, the Saturn was the first system to have games developed for online play via the Sega Netlink peripheral.