By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Xbox One outsell WiiU?

When will X1 sales overtake WiiU sales?

Never 77 26.01%

Before the end of 2013 48 16.22%

Before July 2013 44 14.86%

Before the end of 2014 85 28.72%

Before July 2015 12 4.05%

Before the end of 2015 4 1.35%

Before July 2016 3 1.01%

Before the end of 2016 5 1.69%

2017 or later 18 6.08%

Total:296

I didnt expect ps4 to catch up to wii until March 2015. Wii U should have been able to ship more this quarter. Now its looking like they will ship less so i will move it forward a little more than a quarter. Ps4 should catch it by Nov. 15 2014. That would mean about 5-6mil for Wii U and 9-10mil for Ps4 (its already got 10%). X1 will lag behind ps4 so i say mid 2015.

Around the Network

The X1 will never catch the Wii U. Never...If the X1 could somehow, which I doubt ship and sell 7 million by April then they may surpass them for a week or two. Once Mario Kart comes out though, Wii U sales are going to spike permanently (for a few years, obviously not forever). Mario Kart Wii sold 34 million which to put in in perspective has outsold every Uncharted combined twofold, outsold GTA IV by 14 million, and sold only 1.5 million less then every Halo released on Xbox 360 combined (Halo 3,ODST,Reach,Anniversary, and Halo 4). The only franchise that is on that level is COD and going by the total sales of Ghosts right now, that popularity is even going down. What Microsoft really needs to worry about is Sony because Nintendo is going to sell well regardless of what they do.

oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
Never.

I remember a similar thread asking how long it would take the Wii U to pass the Vita. That doesn't look like it's happening. I was very wrong in that thread so I'll post the opposite of what everyone expects here.

not the same situation. No one thought the Wii U would do as badly as it was and is. PS4 and Xone are already on track to do much better. I doubt either will be doing WIi U numbers but i could be wrong

Wii U's launch was really really good. About half what XBONE did. It wasn't until Jan that anyone seriously started thinking the Wii U wasn't going to do too hot. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151051

If you think doing half of what Xbone did was very good then you must think PS4 and Xbone sales are fantastic (which is cool) but thats besides the point, the point is it already had a better launch than Wii U so I dont see how it wouldnt be able to catch up to it, unless the numbers drop to Wii U levels and i dont see why it would.

It's less about dropping to Wii U levels, which could happen considering the lack of games in 2014 and more about what Nintendo has in the pipeline. In April,  Who's going to want a X1 with a bunch of 6 month old ports, when you can have a Wii U with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and SM3DW right now.   Shoot, Nintendo basically already killed the Vita with the 3DS, and we are in the "age of smartphones".   I will say that is Sony is really trying to get Crash Bandicoot back then they are very smart, as long as they develop a fun game.  People are getting burnt out on shooters and I am a little suprised that Microsoft's lineup is so shooter heavy.

superhippy420 said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
Never.

I remember a similar thread asking how long it would take the Wii U to pass the Vita. That doesn't look like it's happening. I was very wrong in that thread so I'll post the opposite of what everyone expects here.

not the same situation. No one thought the Wii U would do as badly as it was and is. PS4 and Xone are already on track to do much better. I doubt either will be doing WIi U numbers but i could be wrong

Wii U's launch was really really good. About half what XBONE did. It wasn't until Jan that anyone seriously started thinking the Wii U wasn't going to do too hot. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151051

If you think doing half of what Xbone did was very good then you must think PS4 and Xbone sales are fantastic (which is cool) but thats besides the point, the point is it already had a better launch than Wii U so I dont see how it wouldnt be able to catch up to it, unless the numbers drop to Wii U levels and i dont see why it would.

It's less about dropping to Wii U levels, which could happen considering the lack of games in 2014 and more about what Nintendo has in the pipeline. In April,  Who's going to want a X1 with a bunch of 6 month old ports, when you can have a Wii U with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and SM3DW right now.   Shoot, Nintendo basically already killed the Vita with the 3DS, and we are in the "age of smartphones".   I will say that is Sony is really trying to get Crash Bandicoot back then they are very smart, as long as they develop a fun game.  People are getting burnt out on shooters and I am a little suprised that Microsoft's lineup is so shooter heavy.

??? I cant agree with anything you said considering their are absolutly NO Wii U games in the preorder charts and a bunch from jsut about every other system. I know Ninty games are not preorder heavy but MK8 isnt going to do anywhere NEAR the numbers of MK WIi. I fully expect 3ds Smash to have an effect on the sales of the WIi U one especially if they are more similar than not, whose gonna spend money on a WIi U to play a game that will be mostly the same for a system the already have.  SM3dW released I dont see it pushing Wii U that much its been selling sub 100k just about all year which isnt good. Mario might push it above those numbers but will it stay? doubt it, especialy Jan-Feb. Not gonna bring up the rest of your post since it has nothing to do with Xbone. Oh and if you dont think Halo is not gonna move some Xbones significantly...

I think in Overall Numbers Never. However by regions the X1 will easily beat the Wii U in Europe (Europe has almost entirely given up on the Wii U in to many areas and you can't find them in certain countries.) However in America Wii U will keep a strong lead and in Japan.. well I don't think I should have to explain that. (As bad as the Wii U is doing do you think X1 is going to do any better there??) In the end Wii U wins because it has some more fantastic games coming through out (Most likely all of next year) Donkey Kong early followed closely by Mario Kart then Summer Smash Bros. (Not exactly certain when Bayonetta 2 is coming but I am guessing sometime in Summer or after) And if X and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and Mon Fighters or whatever (Along with Zelda U and perhaps a Metroid or some secret project) I think the Wii U stays comfortably ahead of X1.

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Around the Network
oniyide said:
superhippy420 said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
Never.

??? I cant agree with anything you said considering their are absolutly NO Wii U games in the preorder charts and a bunch from jsut about every other system. I know Ninty games are not preorder heavy but MK8 isnt going to do anywhere NEAR the numbers of MK WIi. I fully expect 3ds Smash to have an effect on the sales of the WIi U one especially if they are more similar than not, whose gonna spend money on a WIi U to play a game that will be mostly the same for a system the already have.  SM3dW released I dont see it pushing Wii U that much its been selling sub 100k just about all year which isnt good. Mario might push it above those numbers but will it stay? doubt it, especialy Jan-Feb. Not gonna bring up the rest of your post since it has nothing to do with Xbone. Oh and if you dont think Halo is not gonna move some Xbones significantly...

I heard the same argument about Mario Kart 8 and the 3DS in general and now it sells 400K a week, not to mention that it's going to move a ridiculous amount of consoles this holiday season.   Target is doing $150 for the XL and that included the bundles.    Halo is actually my favorite shooter but if you look at the number of people that play online still, and how fast Halo 4 dropped in price, it's hard to deny that it's popularity is down.  I don't know how you feel but I thought Halo 4's online play was the worst in the entire series and it better improve or it will only move 2 - 3 million consoles instead of 6 - 7.  I hope the new Halo is great btw because neither PS4 or X1 has anything that screams buy this console to me.  800k copies of COD, 350k each of Killzone and BF4 on PS4 just proves that the only people buying these new consoles are the shooter fans, and that is only going to take them so far.

oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
Never.

Yes the 4BONE launches are fantastic. If my memory serves me correct (probably wrong) the top four launches in history are PS4, XBONE, PS2, and Wii U in that order. Wii U kept its launch momentum for a month selling 1.78 million in Dec. alone. Again that's a really good number for a newly launched system.

I'm not expecting the XBONE to drop to horrible numbers worse than the Wii U, but I am saying it's still a possibility. I'm only predicting that it'll happen because it's unexpected.

JoeTheBro said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
oniyide said:
JoeTheBro said:
Never.

Yes the 4BONE launches are fantastic. If my memory serves me correct (probably wrong) the top four launches in history are PS4, XBONE, PS2, and Wii U in that order. Wii U kept its launch momentum for a month selling 1.78 million in Dec. alone. Again that's a really good number for a newly launched system.

I'm not expecting the XBONE to drop to horrible numbers worse than the Wii U, but I am saying it's still a possibility. I'm only predicting that it'll happen because it's unexpected.

I actually think you are right about the Xbone dropping to bad numbers pretty quickly.  $500 is a steep price to pay for most people considering that they don't have a killer app yet plus 2014 barely has any games coming out.    Wii U selling 500K at launch was extremly good but we all know how fast that momentum can disappear when no new games are released.

PS4 is guaranteed to pass Wii U, very very soon. Xbone however, is a 50/50 shot.. The US and the UK will give the Xbone the edge, but non UK Europe and especially Japan will favor the Wii U. It'll be another Xbox vs Gamecube type race; both poor sales, but both very close, while Sony runs away with it (though not by nearly as great a margin as PS2 vs Xbox/Gamecube)

I would say with games like Wii Fit U, Mario 3D World, Smash Brothers, DKC, Zelda, NSMB, etc.. It would be VERY difficult for Microsoft to edge out Nintendo's console but it is not impossible.

I remember MS projected 5 millions Xbox One shipments till the end of June. So I don't think Xbox One will overtake Wii U before the 2nd quarter of 2014. I would suggest by the holiday of 2014.

PS4 will overtake Wii U by the end of June without any question.