By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest online meltdowns in videogame history? [Video complete- thanks for the help!]

For me has to be E3 this year, it dominated discussions of any site vaguely relating to games I was on and the only time I sort of had a meltdown over something in the industry. Every other moment is if you care about a game series (FFXIII on 360) but E3 was industry wide and could have had massive implications for consoles.

Around the Network

XB1 initial reveal with the anti-consumer policies was a pretty huge deal. It honestly seems like some people aren't going to forgive them even though they corrected it.

KylieDog said:
Viper1 said:
Nintendo selling stock back to RARE and them MS buying 100% of RARE stock. Many of you are probably too young to recall the full brunt of that one, especially given how young the Internet itself was at the time (no YouTube, no Facebook, no Twitter, not even Myspace yet) but it was huge.

It really wasn't, by the time that happened RARE was barely outputting any games, they were roaring during the SNES/early N64 era but even by end of N64 their output was really slow.  They had several employee walkouts and several of their games took a quality drop during that time.  Sales also suffered.

Is a reason Nintendo got shot of them.

Valid issues but not well known for the majoirty of people that enjoyed RARE's games.  I was a mod at a popular Nintendo forum back when it happened.  The meltdowns were legendary.   And as I said, you didn't have the social media that we have today so it was limited in overall scope compared to today's meltdowns because we get Twitter rants and the like now.  But as a measure of the percentage of active gamers online (and offline) that went nuts over a piece of bad news....nothing tops the RARE sale.   For many gamers, that was like watching Pikachu die in your arms at sunset while Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven plays genlty in the background.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

It would have been FF7 for PSX if it wasn't in the 90's...

Wow those Final Fantasy posts are pretty crazy....Mental issues much?

Around the Network

How everybody forgot the sadiest day in gaming??? Sega leaving console making should vê top 1. There are bitter people about it even nowadays, some hate Sony solely because of it...

STREET FIGHTER 2 FOR GENESIS OS OTHER CASE. Fucks were given and tears were shed on those days...

Link to EA rumour please.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

GamechaserBE said:

RIP pie185   *Commited suicide for horrible game*

LOL this guy  is death now.

34 years playing games.

GamechaserBE said:

RIP pie185   *Commited suicide for horrible game*

He didn't really kill himself, did he?

Zero999 said:
naruball said:
Zero999 said:

3ds turning around and easily winning the gen.

There was a meltdown over that? Any threads/some kind of proof? Sure it was unexpected (most people didn't see it coming) and vita fans were bitter about it, but I didn't notice a meltdown! Or are we supposed to state achievements of our favourite console?

There was a big ongoing meltdown in brazil foruns, 100% on the internet. unlike many events people are listing here, that happened before internet was popular.

I could predict your posts before I even entered, seriously Bayonetta? That was a drop in the ocean compared to FF13. You're making it seem like all those pro Nintendo 'megaton's were huge when they're not.

1. Xbox One DRM
2. PSN Hack
3. FFVII on PSOne

In no particular order:

PS3 MSRP Price
GTA IV on Xbox 360
Dreamcast Dicontinued
FFXIII on Xbox 360
Xbox 360 RROD