By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Generations for 3DS has killed my faith in the Sonic franchise

MohammadBadir said:
unfortunately i bought this a while back too, not knowing it was a bad port.
i think the reason this was even made is the fact that SEGA just couldn't make a Sonic game without releasing it on a Nintendo platform, but Wii was dying so it was ported to 3DS instead.

Generations 3DS is not a port, it's a completely different game. It also wasn't made by Sonic Team (they only do the console versions) but rather by DIMPS, who made every Sonic game for Nintendo handhelds and also Sonic 4 and Sonic Unleashed Wii. Same goes for Lost World btw.

Supposedly the reason for the game being only on 3DS and the HD twins was that they wanted to offer fans a unique experience when playing through and looking at the levels, which was done by having them in HD. Since the Wii can't output HD, they settled for a 3DS version, since that would be in 3D and thus, special and unique. 

Nintendo Network ID: domflo

Add me if you like!

Ask me about 3DS Friend Code if interested. All other things are in the profile!

Around the Network
F.Scofield said:
So....does all sonic games from megadrive are crap?
cuz u can finish all of them in less than a hour.

In todays world yeah, you don't slam down $39.95 for a 90 minute experience.

Baer said:
Why would you buy Sonic Generations if Sonic Lost World has just recently been released?

Because I liked the screenshots and videos of classic Sonic over Sonic Lost Worlds, plus it was, you know, $20 cheaper.

I enjoyed the Demo of it, but nothing that I would buy. All those levels that you have to jump before you run some more is really annoying, and falling to my death was not fun either.
Now that I know it took you 1.5 hours and me probably 3 hours if i bought it, I will stay away from it even for my kids.

The Demo is enough. These games held so much promise when first announced.

Disregard. I did not read the title I guess. Surprised we are talking about this game from back in the day.

Now I have a lame close up like everyone else!

Weedlab said:
Sonic Generations is great, at least on PS3/360. Though our tastes may be different, I am sure quality issues had a part in your displeasure.

Don't get me wrong the game was 'fun' just incredibly short. Retardedly short in fact. No bonus levels to unlock or anthying like that, just so-called 'missions'.

The bonus world in Donkey Kong Country alone is larger than the entire Sonic Generations game.

Around the Network

You wouldn't be saying that if you got the PS360 version.

I totally disagree.

First, the gameplay is spot on, the game is alot of fun.
Second, theres 100 missions.
Third, theres online competitive play.

1.5 hours? I dont think so. Thenumber of levels is short, but its sweet to play. None of that modern Sonic terrible levels from the console version. All 2D sweetness that is fun to play from beggining to end. Yes, you will wish there was more cause its so good. In terms of gameplay no other Sonic game got it as well as 3DS Sonic generations since the mega drive/genesis Sonic .

really? damn im glad you brought this to my attention. I was gonna get it with a price drop but if its that short, NVM. Should have got the console/PC one, its pretty good.

That's my playtime:

Seriously, it's a 2D platformer, not sure why you expected it's main storyline to last a long time. If you just finished the game in 1h30m, it means you only played the main storyline(and is an experienced 2D Sonic player) without bothering to do anything else. The main thing to do in 3DS's Generations are the missions, which occupied a lot of my playtime, also, getting S ranks in every stage will give you another 10h just of trying, not forgetting online play, which is a great addition. It's one of my favourite games on the 3DS, and, IMO, better than HD version, so I disagree completely with you and i'd certainly recommend to everyone to buy it LOL.

Uncalled for a variety of reasons:

1. Generations for 3DS is dirty port. Originally there was not going to be a handheld version put SEGA changed its mind at last minute.

2. 3DS version is automatically inferior for the fact that most important gimmick is missing. The distinguishment between modern and classic watered down. So you have 2 sonic virtually the same character. Classic Sonic is pointless in this version.

3. Dimps is famous for the hold right to win gotta go fast gameplay presented in Advance and rush. As evident by this game( speed highway is one example of horrible with long instances of doing nothng but holding right) and Sonic 4 Dimps is subpar at interesting level design and gimmicks. All the boss battles suck in this version suck ( go watch ps360)

Generations 3DS is decent and its completely inferior to the console version. If you said Lost World.. you'd be right.