By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario 3D World Impressions (Updated)

Went about half an hour early to my Game Stop to finish paying off my preorder.  Totally of 36 people there, half came for X1 rest the rest for 3D World / Zelda.  Only saw 2 people getting all 3.

Have played for 6 hours and just beat the boss in World 6.  Have 144 Green Stars, and 37 stamps.  

So far the the game has been easy, if you ignore all the Green Stars and Stamps.  If you pursue them your going to lose a decent amount of lives trying to get them all, even I quit a few levels when I relaized I was losing 5+ lives and decided I'd get them later.

Loving Cat Mario, feels fresh and useful.  Found in most levels.  Tho I still prefer Fire Mushroom or Boomerang Suit (no appearance until World 5).

Tanooki Suit (minus Toad Houses), Double Cherry, and Mega Mushroom are rare.  Start to become a bit more common later (especially the Tanooki Suit).

Propeller and Cannon Box are just rare. Piranha Plant only used once.

Using Luigi the most for high jumps, tho I find Peach useful in getting certian collectables.  Barely touch Mario and Toad.

One gripe is you can't switch characters without exiting the level (annoying the 3 times I've run into a switch that has to be stomped on a certian character).

Otherwise all characters have a chance of getting all the green stars / stamps, some are just easier than others.

World 1-6 are your standard themed worlds (Grasslands, Desert, Ice, Canyon/Mountian, Beach/Ocean, Clouds).  Oddly few levels follow the theme.

World 7 is called Castle (Castle-1, Castle-2, etc.) and is fire themed.  You get the vibe that its the final level, but there's a World 8 called Bowser and is carnival themed.  Both actually retain their theme throughout the world in the levels.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

I guess everyone is too busy playing : (

_crazy_man_ said:

i'll comment just to show some love

Any impressions for multiplayer?

Gonna play multi-player when I get my daughter and nephew for the weekend. The game actually looks less vibrant running on my Wii U than it did in trailers also running on my Wii U. It's slower than I expected, too. That's it for my gripes. Aside from that, it's an amazing game and everything I could possibly hope for. I'll post more as I play more.

How many levels do you have per world? How is it so far? :O

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
_crazy_man_ said:

i'll comment just to show some love

Any impressions for multiplayer?

Won't know until Thanksgiving.  Tho I think I'll only see how 2-3 player will fare.

From what I hear 2 player with a good player is great, more fun than by yourself but les hectic than 3/4 player.

Man, have to wait another 7 days, damn you NoE!!!

Th3PANO said:
Man, have to wait another 7 days, damn you NoE!!!

Well at least it's 7 days there. I have to wait till the 6th of December to get my copy .

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

_crazy_man_ said:

Went about half an hour early to my Game Stop to finish paying off my preorder.  Totally of 36 people there, half came for X1 rest the rest for 3D World / Zelda.  Only saw 2 people getting all 3.

Have played for 4 hours and just beat the boss in World 4.  Have 98 Green Stars, and 25 stamps.  I'm missing more Stamps then Green Stars as I progress.....

So far the the game has been easy, if you ignore all the Green Stars and Stamps.  If you pursue them your going to lose a decent amount of lives trying to get them all, even I quit a few levels when I relaized I was losing 5+ lives and decided I'd get them later.

Loving Cat Mario, feels fresh and useful.  Found in most levels.  Tho I still prefer Fire Mushroom.

Tanooki Suit (minus Toad Houses), Double Cherry, and Mega Mushroom are rare.

Yet to see Boomerang Mario.

Am using Luigi the most, tho I find Peach useful in getting certian collectables.  Barely touch Mario and Toad.

I think it was an IGN video I saw that said the Boomerang became a more common powerup in the later levels.

Anfebious said:
How many levels do you have per world? 

World 1 = 7

World 2 = 7

World 3 = 9

World 4 = 7

World 5 = 9

Leaving out the Toad / Stamp Houses.

Every world has at least 1 mini boss (no level associated, some have 2) so I'll leave those out.

1st world has a Captian Toad Level, 2nd world has a Mystery House Level, it then alternates every world. (Leaving them In)