By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One consumes less power in idle and while gaming/playing Blu Ray, is quieter than PS4

Even those loud ass original 360's didn't make enough sound to be bothersome when I was actually doing something like watching or playing......

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
fallen said:

Xbox One:

Playstation 4

The thing to keep in mind is decibels is a logarthmic scale. What this means is the PS4 is acually several times louder than Xbox One up close (53db vs 43db is actually a huge difference)

The power figures are interesting, looks like maybe 20 watts less for X1.

On the one hand X1 CPU and GPU is clocked higher and it has ESRAM. Clearly the PS4's additional CU's and power hungry GDDR5 RAM more than made up for it though.

Any info on  360 slim  PS3 phat slim and WiiU  noise?    DB is something I have no use for when I have nothing to compare it to.   

Celcius is something that makes sense to me but DB never did.  (Decibel is like the Fahrenheit of volume it makes no sense becasue 2 is not twice as loud as 1.)

DeadBigfoot21 said:
xbox one will save you money on your electric bill.

ps4 will give you a huge electric bill

confirmed!

More powerfull Console requires more power confirmed!

fallen said:

Xbox One

Playstation 4

Wow, you measured all this on your own?

Or did you simply copy (copyrighted?) stuff without mentioning a single source?

awesome to hear.
huge huge improvement over the 360 release.

Around the Network

Damn it. PS4 pre-order canceled.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Well if I ever game right next to my console Ill be sure to use this info.

This is what us Xbox fans were saying during the fat 360 era. 

From what I have read, the PS4 is quiet, the XB1 is really quiet and almost silent (hence the size)

No console is going to be like the old Xbox 360, the sound of the console rarely matters below a certain level, so it's great that they are both quiet

Thanks god it is not like the 360 :) I always install games to avoid having this DVD drive going on but still the console itself makes a lot of noise. Same for my PS3 while watching a Bluray movie.

This is good news as I want to use my Xbox One for both gaming and movies :)

The main thing is the noise 1m away from the vents, as that's what you are going to notice (don't know about most people but my console is next to my tv, and I game ~2m away from that), and there is 1db difference, which is barely detectable by the human ear. As for power consumption, a console is going to spend most of it's life either off or in standby (judging by the boot times and voice activation, probably in standby), and because of that the ps4's ~7 watt lower power draw is likely to matter more. Given in gaming there is a 6watt delta between ps4 and xb1 (noting the difference between the two sets if tables), unless you game for more than 12hrs a day then the ps4 will come out ahead.