By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Some Wii Third Parties have some balls...

Well theres going to be a Spiderman 4, 5, and 6 so lets see if their movie games suck too.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

I just looked into this. I know what happend, and why the Wii graphics look so bad.

They mad a big big VERY big judgment call.

They used the Next Gen graphics Engine. And they set al the settings as low as they could go to make it run. If you look at the buildings, characters. They have a similar rendering Technique. I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that the Wii version is running the same graphics engine as the PS3/360..

Ummm... do you realise the Wii/PS2 versions were done by a DIFFERENT company, right? NOT the same company that made the PS3/360/Next-gen versions??

Your conclusion doesn't make any sense - why would they possibly want to use a next-gen engine, when they are not developing a next-gen version of the game?

There is only one conclusion for the crappy game/result - a crap development team/process. It reminds me a little of my time back at IR, when we had this "top-heavy" PC engine for all our development - and then tried to port the game to the PS2. It ran so badly, they had to scale everything back - and the result was similar.

I'll just about bet the development team worked from a PC dev base, and used some generic engine (rather than something like RenderWare) to port to the Wii/PS2 (they did the PS2 version as well.. didn't they??)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

Ummm... do you realise the Wii/PS2 versions were done by a DIFFERENT company, right? NOT the same company that made the PS3/360/Next-gen versions??

Your conclusion doesn't make any sense - why would they possibly want to use a next-gen engine, when they are not developing a next-gen version of the game?

There is only one conclusion for the crappy game/result - a crap development team/process. It reminds me a little of my time back at IR, when we had this "top-heavy" PC engine for all our development - and then tried to port the game to the PS2. It ran so badly, they had to scale everything back - and the result was similar.

I'll just about bet the development team worked from a PC dev base, and used some generic engine (rather than something like RenderWare) to port to the Wii/PS2 (they did the PS2 version as well.. didn't they??)

I'm really not sure on that. But Alot of games are done using a engine. I'm tempted to rent the Wii version, and the PS3 version, and take pictures and show you the quality diffrence, and the big diffrences.  The textures on the Wii version are strikingly similar to the PS3 version. I'll look into the geometry thing. Find a flaw in a model or something, and see if it is on both versions. Becuase if it is, this is 100% the same game. I glanced over most of the screenshots, and overall they are totally diffrent content.

What you say about the PC engine, is what I am meaning. It's like they use the same engine, just a diffrent company tuned it for the Wii... And whatever company did it, needs to be *sued*. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

i doubt you would want to spend that much time and money to play such a crappy game, and then do it on two systems to make a comparison in order to show people on a forum how sucky it is. You know what they say, you don't need to step in dog poop to know that its dog poop

Those shots sure are poor. And while some dev's have showed they've got a lot of gall with the games they release on Wii (I'm looking at you Ubisoft ). The more accurate title for this thread would be "Some game developers have some balls...  As the game is a travesty on all systems.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the collectors edition for the PS3. Here's what IGN had to say about the $10 dollar extra version. 

Activision and Treyarch have dangled an interesting carrot in front of you, Spider-Man fans. Sure, you could buy Spider-Man 3 for the PS3, but wouldn't you rather fork over ten extra dollars and get Spider-Man 3: Collector's Edition complete with interviews, webisodes and the chance to play as the New Goblin with complete SIXAXIS controls?

Don't listen to the siren song, gamers.

The eight interviews are probably what you'd expect from movie stars trying to talk about games, but Harry Osborne, the New Goblin, is where they hurt you. Once you unlock Harry, it seems like you're in for a treat. The SIXAXIS controls are responsive and move his hoverboard, while the glider's afterburner gives you some serious speed around the city, but when you check out the "missions" screen, it all goes to hell. As New Goblin, you can only participate in races, there are no Harry-specific tasks, and while you could zip around the city fighting the random crimes that pop up with your pumpkin bombs and sword, you'd have to sit through the indignity of trying to inch the glider close to the bad guys and listening to folks call you Spidey.

Now I'm not trying to defend the Wii iteration of this game, I'm just saying that they're all a bloody waste of money. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Now that's just plain sloppy. To not even change the dialogue for a different character is just plain inexcusable.

this is about the worst thing that can happen to the Wii, i.e. developers taking for granted that it's okay not to have good graphics on the Wii.  now the PS3 and XBox version got even worse reviews, so this game might just be a case that it's rushed across the board (except for the DS version apparently) and so not representative, although it could be indicative of things to come, especially from non first party Wii games.  the gameplay doesn't sound much better anyway according to the reviews.

guess for the most part, just another sucky movie game. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

I've played both versions, Xbox 360 and Wii version. The graphics in the 360 version is far better than the Wii during the in doors scenes (the fire effect looks similar on both versions) the cracked glass looks absolutely SHOCKING on the 360 version. 360 has better lighting, looks like they put in HDR lighting (just like I said HDR lighting is the new lens flair of next gen, Wii games could look next gen if they added on-chip support for that, but oh well). Overall I find it much easier to pick up and play on the 360 version. The button layout is still stupid though, it doesn't feel right and is really quite boring to play (after playing Spiderman 2 on last gen formats which was actually a pretty good game compared to both of these). My only underlying argument for which version I enjoyed more is the Wii version, because I had fun for about 2 hours swinging around the city. The 360 version I played through the first section and tried to get up to the point where I could get the black suit... did maybe 3 missions and turned it off. It is one of the most boring games I've played with missions that have no point and a really crappy fighting system that just makes me want to turn the game off. I couldn't even bring myself to play the game for more than 1 hour. It SUCKED big time and I don't think I will ever play it again. Lucky I didn't buy it. I played the Wii version, and the graphics DO suck terribly but they aren't as bad as some of these shots make out. The fighting controls are terrible and trying to control the camera by pressing C and then tilting the nunchuk left and right is clunky and crap, it doesn't feel 'right'. The only thing that made me play Spiderman 3 for a long time, and to keep coming back over the weekend was swinging through the air. It is a huge amount of fun web slinging where you want to with the Nunchuk and Remote either hand both ways... it seriously is so much better than any graphics or anything like that... the Wii version wins hands down just because that was fun for a few hours. BUT the single player is still similar so I wouldn't play through it because it's just crap. Wii > 360 because of webslinging. OVERALL SHIT GAME!

To the guys saying this is bad on all systems: yes it is but the ps3 and 360 version don't look like something from 15 years ago....

Why are you guys making excuses for a crappy game? I mean I realize you guys love the Wii but stop making excuses to defend a game that looks like that. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Kwaad said:
shams said:

I'm really not sure on that. But Alot of games are done using a engine. I'm tempted to rent the Wii version, and the PS3 version, and take pictures and show you the quality diffrence, and the big diffrences. The textures on the Wii version are strikingly similar to the PS3 version. I'll look into the geometry thing. Find a flaw in a model or something, and see if it is on both versions. Becuase if it is, this is 100% the same game. I glanced over most of the screenshots, and overall they are totally diffrent content.

What you say about the PC engine, is what I am meaning. It's like they use the same engine, just a diffrent company tuned it for the Wii... And whatever company did it, needs to be *sued*.

Well, if Activision are LYING about this... they should just be shot. Its quite possible that both teams worked together (shared some resources, etc..) but if they use the same engine (or even the same BASE engine) the producer(s) at Activision should be shot.

Activision have had a pretty good couple of years - putting out (mainly?) quality titles. I really hope this hurts them badly (Superman: The Movie! - badly...), and they never do it again.

Here is a quote from the IGN preview of the game:

If you think Spider-Man 3 for Wii is a quick and dirty port of the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 game of the same name, you've got it all wrong. What most people don't realize - not even die-hard Nintendo fans - is that software house Vicarious Visions has designed the Wii build totally separately from the others and it is more or less a ground-up project complete with original content, unique controls, and individual mission structures. In short, it's different and it actually has been tailor-made for Wii. The question is, does that make it any good?

And here is another screenshot... this one looks a lot better. Maybe they just designed the game to look good "up close", and forgot about distance shots...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099