By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

OT7 said:

You're definitely right,and sorry Naznatips,but all the objectivity that you always show,dissapear when you start talking about how you hate FFVII,I see your points,but sorry,everyone have points,I'm not in the mod to get to debate your conclusions,maybe in another time,the sure thing (and you can't denied) is that a HUGE amount of people LOVE this game,this game means many things for many,introduces a lot of people to RPGS,was one of the most influential games at that time,and it's not only my opinion Naz,at least 10 million of people could say the same to you.

That's right.  It's an opinion.  Everyone has them about FFVII, and they vary greatly.  I will not argue at all with your point that many people loved it, and that it popularized JRPGs in the west.  It is the FF game that I have the strongest feelings about.  The only other time you'll see me argue this vehemently about an FF game is when someone insults FFIX or FFVI.  I just want people to realize that my opinion has nothing to do with the opinions of others on the game.  They are my own, and formed by my own experience with the game.  Not by anyone else's.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Edouble24 said:
It's fine if you hate FFVII, it's just stupid to try to come up with insulting reasons as to why people don't agree with you. Like if I said

"People only like FFVI because they're too stupid to understand the complex story of Final Fantasy VII or FFVIII"

That's a very stupid thing to say because it's not true and all it is is me bashing someone else to justify why my opinion is superior to their own. It's also stupid cause it compliments FFVIII but that's not the point, I took that quote from an FF forum so it's not mine.

And I know plenty of people that LOVE the FF series as a whole, from IV and up. I'm one of those people and most of the people I talk to don't have any hatred for half of the series. I also don't see how FFVII isn't a traditional JRPG...

Sorry, I was a little harsh.  I'm not trying to say you have no right to like it.  You're absolutely not an idiot if you like FFVII, and it doesn't make you a bad gamer.  I just hate being told I don't like it because of some stupid bandwagon crap or because it's on the PSX.  I don't like it because I formed my own opinion of the game after playing and beating it.  I'm tired of having my opinion marginalized by people who think that there is no way anyone could possibly dislike the game if they played it.

I'm not sure if you said it or not but I was only talking to the people that said "If you like FFVII it's obviously your favorite RPG" as that just doesn't make any sense at all to me since it only applies to two games in the entire universe, FFVII and Halo(first FPS as opposed to RPG). So I'm not sure if you said that earlier in the thread but I think your last post isn't harsh(except maybe to WoW) but just your opinion on the game. I've done the same thing to FFVIII plenty of times. 

I think that gets on my nerves as much as people telling you why you dislike the game get on your nerves(the 'first RPG' thing). People just need to respect each others opinions. I know why I like FFVII and you know why you dislike it, no need for people in this thread to tell us otherwise. 

Garcian Smith said:
Why, when talking about Final Fantasy games, does nobody ever mention gameplay? (Except in the sense of "that stuff you do in between cutscenes"?) I thought games were supposed to be, you know, interactive.
Because the main thing that makes an FF game stand out is the story. My memories from FFVI and FFVII mostly come from the story/music. Regardless of what most people say FF games have been using ATB for quite a while so the gameplay hasn't changed much. If we were comparing FFVI or FFVII to FFXII people would compare the battle systems because they're drastically different. You don't even do anything in the FFXII battle system...I just kinda watched as my automated characters killed everything.

i started with FFX, and i loved it.

i lost my memory card after playing ff12 halfway through.Damn.
its a good game but nothing special.

a month ago i started to play ff1. sorry guys but its not playable anymore, too old graphics 4 me and i didnt like the fact, that right at the beginning u have to choose the right characters other wise u have no chance of completing the game.

ff2, awesome game (after getting used to the graphics). Loved everything, even more after i purchased a exact remake for the psp with slightly better graphics.
My favorite so far...

now its time to start part3!!! im excited lol!

does somebody know how ff:tactics 4 the psp is?

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

Ive beaten FF1, 4, 7,8,9,10,12. I played 2, 6, and 10-2 but never completed them.

The reason i never beat 2 or 6 was because of one reason, micromangement. I hate it. In 2 you had to pretty much attack your own characters to even get stat upgrades. In 6 in order to get the best out of your level up you had to equip different summons that had different stat uprades upon leveling up. I hated it, but thats not the entire rason i gave up on 6, it was because i was playing the ps1 version and the load times were horrible, i meant to buy the game for gba but just never got around to it.
Anyways my opinion on the best final fantasies that ive played.

10 was the best followed by...

I guess you could say i like the modern to futuristic direction the series went, which is why some people hate it. Also people have such disdain for ff7 they are talking about how it graphics suck? It was mentioned multiple times on this thread. Okay ff7 was no gears of war in terms of looks but when it came out it looked good, and imo the gameplay, story, and music was there. I find it ironic that wii fanboys have the nerve to dis game for their graphics.

@ Naztips, I respect your opinion and typically agree with you but you make ff7 sound like it was the "5th generation ET." Its your peragitive to hate 7 for whatever reason but clearly its a good game if millions of people bought it.

Around the Network

I don't exactly dislike FF7, and I would play (but not buy, I leave that task to my bf) a remake. It is an average RPG to me and, imo, far from being the best.

I liked FF9, hated 8 and loved 10, 6 and 4. So I'm not biased against newer FFs or Sony and I don't hate 7 but I don't see why it is so hyped and aclaimed.

There are many flaws in that game and Naznatips just summed it up, exept I would be a little less rough on it, since I liked it it. So I won't repeat what he said and just leave it this way.

naznatips said:

And this folks is how to add a worthless reply to a topic that you have no experience with because it makes you feel smart to contribute even if you know nothing about it.

Since apparently WoW thinks I just hate this for no reason, let me go through my issues with this game:

Design: Yes, you may say graphics are a superficial reason to dislike a game, but this borders on downright unplayable. Why am I playing a game where the only time my characters can display anything even remotely resembling emotion is in a cutscene? Why am I walking through gothic/steampunk backgrounds as legos? Why is there so little freaking variety in the environments? You don't have technical limitations as an excuse for that. Backgrounds were hand-drawn.

Just because you have the technology to use 3D, doesn't mean you should use it. This is the perfect example of that, and don't say graphics don't matter at all. They absolutely do, and really bad ones have a damaging effect on the gameplay experience. If you don't believe that, then go play your Atari. On the other hand, a game like FFIX holds up even today, despite it's graphics being bad for modern standards. Graphics do matter to a point.

It not so much graphics that matter as a willingness to tolerate the graphic style.  Many grew up with sprite-based graphics and they feel perfectly at home with them.  I'm an example of that.  I like sprite-based art a lot.  While I thought the battles of FFVII as well as the cutscenes were very neat, I was also disappointed by the "lego people" as you put it.  I'd have much preferred sprites in that instance.  This is a very fair criticism of the game.

Plot: Okay, now this is going to get lengthy. First of all, stuffing 5 billion lines of dialogue and explanation into a plot does not by default make it good. In fact, it just makes it worse because it kills the pacing. You would figure the upside to this would be that the plot would be complex and deep, and that the characters would be well developed. To the contrary, the plot was simplistic and derrivative. Even in the late 90s the super-soldier gone bad thing was ridiculously over-used. To make it even worse, despite the game being crammed with wordiness and supposed "twists," none of the plot was actually revealed till the last 30 minutes of the freaking game!

Then let's get into the development of the plot itself. First of all, Sephiroth was not the main villain of this game, nor did he have a major part in this game. Of course, given how poorly translated it is, this just created confusion. Jenova was the main villain of this game. Jenova's clone in the form of Sephiroth killed Aeris. Jenova is the one who you hunted for 80% of the game. Jenova is the one who killed President Sinra and burned down the village. She was the one who controlled Sephiroth's actions using the cells in his body. Jenova was the main villain of this game. Didn't anyone wonder why everytime you caught a Sephiroth clone you fought Jenova???

I agree to a point.  The plot never really came together in an "Ah ha!" moment at a reasonable point in the game like Final Fantasy VI's did when one character betrayed another certain character.  The plot twist at the end of the game will make some happy and others less so; I personally didn't really mind.  I think that the real key was that the plot of FFVII was simply its own McGuffin.  It motivates the player to go forward and as the party leap frogs from one place to the next the over arching plot fades into the background as the journey takes the fore.  Some will like that, some will not.  I personally would rather not have a transparent plot as mystery can add to enjoyment however I would agree that FFVII didn't handle it as well as it could have.

Characters: Jeeze, so much awful stuff here. I already started on Sephiroth before, but I'll continue on him now. Sephiroth was an awful character. He goes from being completey normal to completely insane just because he found out his genes were screwed with some? So were Cloud's, and although he was a jackass until Aeris died then an emo after that, he didn't randomly decide to go insane. Sephiroth completely lacked motivation and emotion.

Of course, he didn't matter that much anyway, because he was worthless! Sephiroth spent the entire game frozen in the Northern Crater, then came out in the last hour in time to try and drop a meteor on the planet, which he even failed at (unlike Kefka who practically destroyed the world). Sephiroth did nothing. Nothing but whine and complain about his poor unfortunate past. He is one of the absolute worst characters in video game history.

That's not even going into the other characters... Aeris was just a slut, Tifa was a bimbo, Barret was the most ridiculous example of a stereotypical black man I've ever seen in a video game (Well, until Unreal Tournament 3 anyway, but that's another story), Yuffie was only there to steal your materia and add an extra few hours to the gameplay, Vincent was just another emo, Cait Sith served no purpose and had no character development, and Cid was decent.

The problem was that Sephiroth was no more so an awful character than Kefka.  Sephiroth had a laundry list of reasons to hate the world around him beginning with being lied to his whole life, genenic manipulation, the fate of the ancient ones...etc.  Kefka just wanted power.  It may not have actually been Sephiroth who wreaked much havoc in the game but the player's belief regarding him that was formed during a lot of those moments shaped his character in the player's mind far more than his real actions ever really did.  I'm sorry you felt hosed at the end due to the twist, but I can't honestly see a case for Sephiroth versus Kefka.  Kefka was pretty 2 dimensional and very cliched.  Manical laugh?  Check.  Evil actions?  Check.  One-liners?  Check.  He did everything the cliche villain does except twirl a black mustache.  At least Sephiroth wasn't the kind of villain you'd find on a Saturday morning cartoon.  IMO Kefka was one of FFVI's disappointments because there just wasn't much to him.

As for the characters of FFVII, I don't know how you can dislike them so much yet not dislike aspects of the FFVI cast for example.  Terra and Gau in particular were walking cliches.  Near emotionless character learning to love?  Not original.  Boy raised by nature?  Not original.  Still, this is where FFVI took the initiative.  It didn't just give characters backstory... it developed them.  The cliff scene with Celes (you know the one), the Phoenix magicite scene with Locke, the scene with Gau's father... those moments were truly touching. FFVII tried with Dyne and RedXIII's father, but I think FFVI had way better execution.

I HATE Final Fantasy VII, and I have since I first played it. I don't care if other people hate it because they jumped on some band-wagon, or because it's on the PSX, or whatever other stupid reason. My reason for hating Final Fantasy VII is that I got hyped to play it. I saved for a year to play it. I was ready to fall down and worship it if it met the standards of FFVI and Chrono Trigger before it, and it completely crushed me. I hate it because I played it.

Ironically, I never even played FFVII on the PSX.

...I played it on the computer.  And my Cloud had fingers. 

Anywho, thanks for the solid response Naz.  At least someone can give one.  As for my "worthless reply," I can only respond with:

Legend11 said:
I find it hard to take the reviews of people who say it's the worst game ever or complete crap or whatever seriously when millions of people obviously enjoyed it. If the game was as bad as some people are claiming it wouldn't have as many fans as it does. The characters in the game wouldn't be as recognizable as fan favorites like they are. Having a character in the game die wouldn't have hit the people playing it so hard.

This really reminds me of something I've seen in forums that talk about the current Battlestar Galactica and Bionic Woman series. I've seen many of the fans of the older series completely bash the newer ones even though the newer ones aren't really that bad and in some ways are just as good in their own way. I think some people just don't like change or only want it on their terms.

Are you seriously going to go for that line of thinking? Sales determine quality now? The majority of the EA sports lineup is the biggest antithesis to your argument. That and the fact that movie licensed games continue to sell well in spite of their quantity.

Well WoW at least you are to the point of admitting that my reasons for disliking it were based on actual experience with the game... past that we are down to difference of opinion, and I'm fine with difference of opinion.

naznatips said:
Well WoW at least you are to the point of admitting that my reasons for disliking it were based on actual experience with the game... past that we are down to difference of opinion, and I'm fine with difference of opinion.

As a side note off FFVII not showing emotions, I just had to dig this up...

~Something I made long ago.