By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

F0X said:

My point was about Metroid. If Retro attempts to do a new Metroid game, I don't expect it to be quite like the Prime series.

But do we really want a new Prime game? And is it what Nintendo needs? I think they should try to bring it a little bit more into the "mainstream" of gaming. Not dumb it down, but make it more approachable. I'd like to see the next Metroid go in a different direction than the Prime series. And I'd also like for Retro to work on something else. Preferbly Star Fox or a new IP.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

Certainly some of the major developers of the Prime series have left Retro since finishing Prime 3, but it's not as though they cleaned house entirely. Most of the staff, even those who weren't in leadership positions at the time, have experience from making those games. And they've said recently that they have some ideas for Metroid when they return to it, so they haven't turned their backs on it entirely.

Retro is still more qualified to make a Metroid game than any other studio I can think of.

I could probably name a few people who are still around from the Prime days (like Bryan Walker, the director of DKCR). A new Metroid game from Retro would be feasible, though I also would expect it to be different. Different people making a different, albiet potentially fantastic, game.

However, I'm more inclined to think that Retro would be better off not becoming a studio that specializes in a particular franchise or genre. Versatility would mean a lot in this ever-shifting industry.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

DanneSandin said:
F0X said:

My point was about Metroid. If Retro attempts to do a new Metroid game, I don't expect it to be quite like the Prime series.

But do we really want a new Prime game? And is it what Nintendo needs? I think they should try to bring it a little bit more into the "mainstream" of gaming. Not dumb it down, but make it more approachable. I'd like to see the next Metroid go in a different direction than the Prime series. And I'd also like for Retro to work on something else. Preferbly Star Fox or a new IP.

Ideally, a new Metroid game, be it developed by Retro or someone else, would take the series into bold new territory akin to what Prime did over a decade ago. For this. there's a ton of possibilities, and all of which threaten to damage the brand and spoil the formula if not handled carefully.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Dv8thwonder said:

Your signature  is mesmerising.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:

Ideally, a new Metroid game, be it developed by Retro or someone else, would take the series into bold new territory akin to what Prime did over a decade ago. For this. there's a ton of possibilities, and all of which threaten to damage the brand and spoil the formula if not handled carefully.

I whole heartedly agree!

DanneSandin said:
F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:

I whole heartedly agree!

So, I think we should be patient. Especially considering what state the Metroid franchise is currently in. :(

I'd also like Retro to work on something new, but that can also wait. I'll be content with two, even three Donkey Kong Country games on the virtue of them kicking all kinds of ass. Whenever Retro tires of Donkey Kong, I assume they'll move onto something different. Which is a very natural thing fot a game developer to do, provided that said developer isn't forced to continually make sequels.

F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:
DanneSandin said:
F0X said:

I whole heartedly agree!

So, I think we should be patient. Especially considering what state the Metroid franchise is currently in. :(

I'd also like Retro to work on something new, but that can also wait. I'll be content with two, even three Donkey Kong Country games on the virtue of them kicking all kinds of ass. Whenever Retro tires of Donkey Kong, I assume they'll move onto something different. Which is a very natural thing fot a game developer to do, provided that said developer isn't forced to continually make sequels.

Yeah, Other M didn't quite blow anyones mind... I actually think Metroid would do quite nicely in a TPS percpective, with a little bit of RPG elements thrown in (think along the lines of Skyward Sword).

I'm pretty sure Retro already has begun work on their next game, at least started something akin to pre-production. I don't think it'll be a new Donkey Kong, and considering the state the Wii U is in, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were working on a new Metroid game; that would probably sell a few consoles, considering how well received Prime was... Or maybe they're working on another old IP, like Star Fox or Kid Icarus. Of those two I think KI is more likely since it's seen a new release on the 3DS, which sold well and got good reviews. Sadly, I think a new IP is at least a gen away...

I too hope that Retro does something that is neither DK nor Metroid next. As great as I am sure Tropical Freeze will be, (it's my most anticipated game) two DKs and three Metroids is enough. I want to see them tackle something new next.