By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo totally irrelevant? Xbox and PS duopoly?? (Home Consoles)

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
1. Thats how science works, you acknowledge the small posibilities but you back what you think will happen.

2. That means I may be wrong (like I was about the original wii, but then again I was too stupid back then to take into account novelty purchasing behaviour), but most of the time im right.

3. I personally think (in most cases) for someone with a ps360, the wii U offers nothing much. If they wanted to really play mario, they would have got the wii U already. for everyone who is expecting to play games like COD, BF, Assassins creed, FIFA they will go for PS4/xbox one and know that later on there will be games like GTA VI which wont be possible on the wii U (well not without cutting most the textures and graphical effects out of it)

4. im not denying that wii U wont sell another system again, im just saying the amount it sells will be insignificant compared to ps4/xbox one. Evidently the wii U's tablet is not as appealing to the masses as the motion controls of the wii were.

1. DO NOT invoke science when you clearly have no idea how science works. As a guy with a PhD in mathematical physics, I'm telling you right now, it's not at all like what you just said.

2. Such humility - I'm sure "most of the time right"... in your own mind. In the real world, you're just wrong.

3. Really? The Wii U doesn't offer games like, say, Monster Hunter? It is the defense of the anti-fanboy, every time, that Nintendo only makes Mario, and you can't get quality experiences of other sorts on Nintendo systems. You're just plain wrong. As for the assertion that some later games will not be possible on the Wii U, I'm sure that's true... eventually. In the meantime, there are games that can ONLY be done on the Wii U. Any real gamer would want to play all the great games, not just some of them.

4. You have absolutely NO evidence to support your claim that the Wii U sales will be "insignificant compared to ps4/xbox one". I have provided detailed explanation for why it is likely that Wii U sales will be better in the next year. You have not provided any argument except "the ps4/xbox one is better" - which is nothing but console war drivel. And your reductionist approach to why the Wii was successful (motion controls) emphasises this even more.

You are the perfect example of what is wrong with the internet gaming community. I'm betting you haven't even looked at what titles are being released for the Wii U.

1) ever herd of social sciences? science isnt just maths and physics you know. I'm doing a degree in marketing and when I graduate I will be a 'master of science'. As far as this topic goes, my knowledge of 'science' is more relevant than yours.

2) wow...your analytical skills are very poor considering you are supposed to be 'a guy with a phd in mathematical physics'.

3) Ive always said monster hunter is a great game but in a way its like dead rising on xbox. why credit MS with something they didnt make, but prevented it being multiplatform. thats doing worse to the industry than good, its nothing to be proud of for nintendo.

4) Likewise, you have no evidence to support the alternative hypothesis that wii U sales will not be insignificant to the PS4/xbox one. All anyone does on this website is hypothesise. Personally I dont think its a ridiculous hypothesis, and that there is a good 'chance' im right.

Lastly, you are the perfect example of what is wrong with the internet gaming community. you want to selectively use things to favour your argument like some good games the wii U may have. ok I agree it has some good games, but so does PS4 and Xbox one and 360 and PS3.

in this case Its the differentiating factors that matter and that means all the 3rd party stuff wii U will miss out on, and all the multiplatform stuff which will be technically inferior on the wii U than the ps4/xbox one.

If you really want, we can have a chat via PM every few months and track the sales, but I dont see the point because you know im right anyway.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
3) Ive always said monster hunter is a great game but in a way its like dead rising on xbox. why credit MS with something they didnt make, but prevented it being multiplatform. thats doing worse to the industry than good, its nothing to be proud of for nintendo.

Right here, you proved that you're talking out of your proverbial arse. Monster Hunter Tri was being developed for the PS3 originally, but was moved to the Wii because Capcom saw it as a more lucrative place to put it.

No doubt you also think Nintendo are evil for making Bayonetta 2 an exclusive.

By the way, I'm not the one making an assertion about the Wii U's sales relative to those of the other two. Ever heard of the burden of proof? It's a standard scientific reasoning element (although I suppose that in the so-called "social sciences", you get to claim anything and call it "scientific", and then challenge people to disprove it). You made the claim that the Wii U would see "insignificant" sales compared with the PS4 and XBO. This is a claim that requires justification. I only made the claim that Wii U sales would improve in the next year (with detailed reasoning), and then asserted that you had failed to justify your claim.

And then you have the gall to claim I'm what's wrong with the gaming community because of something I didn't even do - I made no claim one way or the other about any of the other systems' games. I only referred to Wii U games because I was countering your absurd claim that Wii U didn't have anything worth playing other than Mario.

So yeah, not spending any more time on you. You're full of it. I understand why you're studying marketing - you're full of PR spin. I catch you out making wild claims, and you try to turn it around as though I'd made a wild claim by questioning your reasoning! You still haven't provided a single hint of justification for your claims.

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Right here, you proved that you're talking out of your proverbial arse. Monster Hunter Tri was being developed for the PS3 originally, but was moved to the Wii because Capcom saw it as a more lucrative place to put it.

No doubt you also think Nintendo are evil for making Bayonetta 2 an exclusive.

By the way, I'm not the one making an assertion about the Wii U's sales relative to those of the other two. Ever heard of the burden of proof? It's a standard scientific reasoning element (although I suppose that in the so-called "social sciences", you get to claim anything and call it "scientific", and then challenge people to disprove it). You made the claim that the Wii U would see "insignificant" sales compared with the PS4 and XBO. This is a claim that requires justification. I only made the claim that Wii U sales would improve in the next year (with detailed reasoning), and then asserted that you had failed to justify your claim.

And then you have the gall to claim I'm what's wrong with the gaming community because of something I didn't even do - I made no claim one way or the other about any of the other systems' games. I only referred to Wii U games because I was countering your absurd claim that Wii U didn't have anything worth playing other than Mario.

So yeah, not spending any more time on you. You're full of it. I understand why you're studying marketing - you're full of PR spin. I catch you out making wild claims, and you try to turn it around as though I'd made a wild claim by questioning your reasoning! You still haven't provided a single hint of justification for your claims.

wow you sound so insecure.

your the one who came criticising my suggestion that wii U sales would be insignificant compared to ps4 and xbox one.

if it upset you, I dont care, im not going write a report justifying myself on something that is generally accepted on this site.

The way you structure your argument makes it sound like I need to provide extraordinary evidence to justify an extraordinary claim. youre just making a mountain out of a molehill so just quit.

fps_d0minat0r said:

your the one who came criticising my suggestion that wii U sales would be insignificant compared to ps4 and xbox one.

if it upset you, I dont care, im not going write a report justifying myself on something that is generally accepted on this site.

The way you structure your argument makes it sound like I need to provide extraordinary evidence to justify an extraordinary claim. youre just making a mountain out of a molehill so just quit.

Really? I'm asking you to provide ANY evidence for your claim. You have provided NONE. And when I provided extensive evidence for mine, you then said that I was the one that was making an absurd claim without any justification for that, either.

You have now made yet another claim that is completely unjustified - that your earlier claim is "something that is generally accepted on this site". Now, other than the fact that this doesn't make it either justified or reasonable (because most on this site would probably also call Wii Fit U a bad game, without ever having played it or even watched any videos of others playing it, for instance), it's also an argumentum ad populum. You might as well be responding to my challenges to your claim with "it just is" - it would be about as convincing.

You have yet to make a single argument in this discussion for which you have provided even the merest hint of evidence. Guess what - not everybody accepts your claims just because you make them. I'm not going to bother trying to debate the actual argument anymore, since you have no interest in debating, and instead insist on resorting to using logical fallacies ad nauseum. You claim to be a scientist (a "social scientist"), but you have done NOTHING scientific. You have done the equivalent of going "god exists because lots of people believe in god", and then demanding that those who don't believe in god provide the evidence of nonexistence (which, of course, is impossible) - this is the approach of the religious nut, not of the scientist. I, on the other hand, have backed up every argument I've made with evidence, and then challenged you to provide evidence to support your claim. What is extraordinary in this situation is that you insist on using media-style spin to claim that I'm the one being unreasonable, and that you shouldn't have to provide any evidence to support your claim, while I should have to provide a massive amount, beyond what I already have.

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Really? I'm asking you to provide ANY evidence for your claim. You have provided NONE. And when I provided extensive evidence for mine, you then said that I was the one that was making an absurd claim without any justification for that, either.

You have now made yet another claim that is completely unjustified - that your earlier claim is "something that is generally accepted on this site". Now, other than the fact that this doesn't make it either justified or reasonable (because most on this site would probably also call Wii Fit U a bad game, without ever having played it or even watched any videos of others playing it, for instance), it's also an argumentum ad populum. You might as well be responding to my challenges to your claim with "it just is" - it would be about as convincing.

You have yet to make a single argument in this discussion for which you have provided even the merest hint of evidence. Guess what - not everybody accepts your claims just because you make them. I'm not going to bother trying to debate the actual argument anymore, since you have no interest in debating, and instead insist on resorting to using logical fallacies ad nauseum. You claim to be a scientist (a "social scientist"), but you have done NOTHING scientific. You have done the equivalent of going "god exists because lots of people believe in god", and then demanding that those who don't believe in god provide the evidence of nonexistence (which, of course, is impossible) - this is the approach of the religious nut, not of the scientist. I, on the other hand, have backed up every argument I've made with evidence, and then challenged you to provide evidence to support your claim. What is extraordinary in this situation is that you insist on using media-style spin to claim that I'm the one being unreasonable, and that you shouldn't have to provide any evidence to support your claim, while I should have to provide a massive amount, beyond what I already have.

How can I provide evidence for an event which hasnt taken place yet?

thats why its called a prediction.

everyone on this site who makes a claim wont explicitly tell you they are making a prediction, you have to use your head to figure it out.

and like I said before, its not an extraordinary claim, and if you dont believe it, I dont care.

wii U sales will be insignificant compared to PS4 and xbox one.

there I said it again....do what you can about it.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:

everyone on this site who makes a claim wont explicitly tell you they are making a prediction, you have to use your head to figure it out.

and like I said before, its not an extraordinary claim, and if you dont believe it, I dont care.

You never called it a prediction, a guess, or anything like that. You said it WILL sell an insignificant number compared to the others. There were no terms even implying opinion - you stated it in absolute terms. And it doesn't matter whether it's an extraordinary claim or an ordinary one - if you want to make a claim, you have to back it up with some sort of evidence. Circumstantial would be sufficient, in this case. My evidence for my claim was a comparison with previous consoles - what will happen in the next year is hard to predict, but you can usually get a good idea of what will happen in the future by looking at the past.

When you make claims like "wii U sales will be insignificant compared to PS4 and xbox one" in absolute terms, with no evidence supporting it, all you are doing is continuing an absurd console war that should have ended long ago (actually, it should never have begun, but that's another kettle of fish). And the only reason you're now saying it's just your prediction is that I've revealed the truth about it - you have NO justification for the claim whatsoever, and the only reasoning you could give would demonstrate you to be nothing but a fanboy, or perhaps an anti-fanboy, intent on lobbing what IS an extraordinary claim (given that you have no evidence to support your claim) into a discussion in which is does not truly belong.

Essentially, what you have admitted now, unintentionally, is that you're nothing more than a troll, coming into the thread with nothing meaningful to contribute, but instead only interested in eliciting a reaction. Sad, really. I've never really understood why trolls have such a need to attract such attention. My interest is, instead, focused on facts and logic - hence why I decided to call you out.

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

You never called it a prediction, a guess, or anything like that. You said it WILL sell an insignificant number compared to the others. There were no terms even implying opinion - you stated it in absolute terms. And it doesn't matter whether it's an extraordinary claim or an ordinary one - if you want to make a claim, you have to back it up with some sort of evidence. Circumstantial would be sufficient, in this case. My evidence for my claim was a comparison with previous consoles - what will happen in the next year is hard to predict, but you can usually get a good idea of what will happen in the future by looking at the past.

When you make claims like "wii U sales will be insignificant compared to PS4 and xbox one" in absolute terms, with no evidence supporting it, all you are doing is continuing an absurd console war that should have ended long ago (actually, it should never have begun, but that's another kettle of fish). And the only reason you're now saying it's just your prediction is that I've revealed the truth about it - you have NO justification for the claim whatsoever, and the only reasoning you could give would demonstrate you to be nothing but a fanboy, or perhaps an anti-fanboy, intent on lobbing what IS an extraordinary claim (given that you have no evidence to support your claim) into a discussion in which is does not truly belong.

Essentially, what you have admitted now, unintentionally, is that you're nothing more than a troll, coming into the thread with nothing meaningful to contribute, but instead only interested in eliciting a reaction. Sad, really. I've never really understood why trolls have such a need to attract such attention. My interest is, instead, focused on facts and logic - hence why I decided to call you out.

If you cant look at the most basic trends in the market, no-one is going to do it for you.

im going to say it again.... wii U sales will be insignificant compared to PS4 and xbox one.

you feel like youre being trolled because youre asking for it. I get that you disagree with me but that doesnt mean im going to change what I think.

fps_d0minat0r said:

If you cant look at the most basic trends in the market, no-one is going to do it for you.

im going to say it again.... wii U sales will be insignificant compared to PS4 and xbox one.

you feel like youre being trolled because youre asking for it. I get that you disagree with me but that doesnt mean im going to change what I think.

What trends? A single data point is not a trend. Or do you mean Wii U sales, which have been trending visibly upwards in the last month?

I'm not asking you to change what you think. I'm asking you to either put up or shut up.

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

What trends? A single data point is not a trend. Or do you mean Wii U sales, which have been trending visibly upwards in the last month?

I'm not asking you to change what you think. I'm asking you to either put up or shut up.

If those are the silly trends your cherry picking, youre obviously going to be left with a biased viewpoint. 1 month means nothing.

and its not just sales trends you have to look at. its the whole industry. consumers competitors developers. at the moment very few things are going for the wii U and with the PS3 and 360 offering more content at a lower price for the lower end of the market and ps4 and xbox one successfully attracting the higher end of the console market, wii U is left with hardly anything.

They launced at the worst possible time they could and they are paying the price for it.

fps_d0minat0r said:
If those are the silly trends your cherry picking, youre obviously going to be left with a biased viewpoint. 1 month means nothing.

and its not just sales trends you have to look at. its the whole industry. consumers competitors developers. at the moment very few things are going for the wii U and with the PS3 and 360 offering more content at a lower price for the lower end of the market and ps4 and xbox one successfully attracting the higher end of the console market, wii U is left with hardly anything.

They launced at the worst possible time they could and they are paying the price for it.

Funny how you call me out for "cherry picking", and then list as "trends" your opinions. As for "consumers competitors developers", I'm not even sure what that's meant to mean.

I will at least recognise, though, that you're finally actually providing *some* sort of justification, even if it is based on your personal opinion rather than hard facts.