By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo totally irrelevant? Xbox and PS duopoly?? (Home Consoles)

fps_d0minat0r said:
if the wii U wasnt doing too well against the ps360, how is it going to do well with ps360 AND ps4/xbox one?

They'll do better now, just as the Xbox 360 struggles when it was still competing against the PS2 and Gamecube, but flourished once the PS3 and Wii released. A lot of gamers aren't fanboys, and don't automatically get one system - instead, they wait until all of the options are available, and decide which one they judge to be most worth their money.

Prior to the PS4/XBO releases the calculation goes like this: "I could buy a Wii U with its relatively small library, or I could buy a PS3 or 360 with its large library and lower price". Now that the PS4 and XBO are released, it goes like this: "I can buy a Wii U with its growing library and lower price, or a PS4 with launch-quality titles, or an XBO with launch-quality titles" - the PS3 and 360 are considerations, but the people who are likely to buy a gaming system early in a generation already have one or both of those systems. And with the PS4 and XBO out, Sony and MS aren't going to be pushing the PS3 and 360 nearly as much. So the focus shifts, since people now have the three consoles to compare in terms of gamer value. Some will judge the PS4, or the XBO, to be the most valuable relative to price. Others will go with the Wii U.

Mind you, I already know that you're incapable of conceiving of people choosing the Wii U in that situation. Sadly, that's the way that it often is with people in the internet gaming community - incapable of seeing things from other perspectives, incapable of considering people who don't share their exact gaming preferences.

Around the Network

If Nintendo is irrelevant is because their own fault, dunno WTH they were thinking releasing a hardware that barely surpasses or match a 8 year old console.

osed125 said:

No problem. 3DS will have the handheld monopoly.

I don't think they will have sales as much as Home Consoles for long time, because of Mobiles and Tablets.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
if the wii U wasnt doing too well against the ps360, how is it going to do well with ps360 AND ps4/xbox one?

They'll do better now, just as the Xbox 360 struggles when it was still competing against the PS2 and Gamecube, but flourished once the PS3 and Wii released. A lot of gamers aren't fanboys, and don't automatically get one system - instead, they wait until all of the options are available, and decide which one they judge to be most worth their money.

Prior to the PS4/XBO releases the calculation goes like this: "I could buy a Wii U with its relatively small library, or I could buy a PS3 or 360 with its large library and lower price". Now that the PS4 and XBO are released, it goes like this: "I can buy a Wii U with its growing library and lower price, or a PS4 with launch-quality titles, or an XBO with launch-quality titles" - the PS3 and 360 are considerations, but the people who are likely to buy a gaming system early in a generation already have one or both of those systems. And with the PS4 and XBO out, Sony and MS aren't going to be pushing the PS3 and 360 nearly as much. So the focus shifts, since people now have the three consoles to compare in terms of gamer value. Some will judge the PS4, or the XBO, to be the most valuable relative to price. Others will go with the Wii U.

Mind you, I already know that you're incapable of conceiving of people choosing the Wii U in that situation. Sadly, that's the way that it often is with people in the internet gaming community - incapable of seeing things from other perspectives, incapable of considering people who don't share their exact gaming preferences.

Some people may judge based on the library and price for buying consoles, but PS4 and Xbone has been designed to be socially connected console so if friends wants to be connected this way then they have to buy PS4/Xbone and also for 3rd Party Games. People are not really cared about prices for High end devices these days and theese Home consoles are offering a lot for the price point and needed for many people unlike Wii U just for Nintendo exclusives. Nintendo have to make many exclusives to sell the hardare and it won't go above 50 milllion in life time for the best case.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

biglittlesps said:
Some people may judge based on the library and price for buying consoles, but PS4 and Xbone has been designed to be socially connected console so if friends wants to be connected this way then they have to buy PS4/Xbone and also for 3rd Party Games. People are not really cared about prices for High end devices these days and theese Home consoles are offering a lot for the price point and needed for many people unlike Wii U just for Nintendo exclusives. Nintendo have to make many exclusives to sell the hardare and it won't go above 50 milllion in life time for the best case.

Please take your console war crap elsewhere.

Around the Network
petroleo said:
If Nintendo is irrelevant is because their own fault, dunno WTH they were thinking releasing a hardware that barely surpasses or match a 8 year old console.

And you are basing this on what? Poorly concieved shovelware from lazy 3rd party developers released at launch. Things have improved much over the last 12 months.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Obviously I cannot speak for everyone else, but it looks like I'm still on that "I could buy a Wii U with its relatively small library, or I could buy a PS3 or 360 with its large library and lower price". phase.  I've been going back and fourth between the Wii U and PS3 for this christmas, but now I'm leaning more towards the PS3 because of the GTA V bundle AND the blu-ray player.  I will consider all of the other consoles somewhere down the line when they are more affordable (I'm cheap, I know).

Btw, I really think that Wii U will need to be a little bit more affordable as well before people move to the next phase.

Aielyn said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Thats how science works, you acknowledge the small posibilities but you back what you think will happen. That means I may be wrong (like I was about the original wii, but then again I was too stupid back then to take into account novelty purchasing behaviour), but most of the time im right.

I personally think (in most cases) for someone with a ps360, the wii U offers nothing much. If they wanted to really play mario, they would have got the wii U already. for everyone who is expecting to play games like COD, BF, Assassins creed, FIFA they will go for PS4/xbox one and know that later on there will be games like GTA VI which wont be possible on the wii U (well not without cutting most the textures and graphical effects out of it)

im not denying that wii U wont sell another system again, im just saying the amount it sells will be insignificant compared to ps4/xbox one. Evidently the wii U's tablet is not as appealing to the masses as the motion controls of the wii were.

No

fps_d0minat0r said:
1. Thats how science works, you acknowledge the small posibilities but you back what you think will happen.

2. That means I may be wrong (like I was about the original wii, but then again I was too stupid back then to take into account novelty purchasing behaviour), but most of the time im right.

3. I personally think (in most cases) for someone with a ps360, the wii U offers nothing much. If they wanted to really play mario, they would have got the wii U already. for everyone who is expecting to play games like COD, BF, Assassins creed, FIFA they will go for PS4/xbox one and know that later on there will be games like GTA VI which wont be possible on the wii U (well not without cutting most the textures and graphical effects out of it)

4. im not denying that wii U wont sell another system again, im just saying the amount it sells will be insignificant compared to ps4/xbox one. Evidently the wii U's tablet is not as appealing to the masses as the motion controls of the wii were.

1. DO NOT invoke science when you clearly have no idea how science works. As a guy with a PhD in mathematical physics, I'm telling you right now, it's not at all like what you just said.

2. Such humility - I'm sure "most of the time <you're> right"... in your own mind. In the real world, you're just wrong.

3. Really? The Wii U doesn't offer games like, say, Monster Hunter? It is the defense of the anti-fanboy, every time, that Nintendo only makes Mario, and you can't get quality experiences of other sorts on Nintendo systems. You're just plain wrong. As for the assertion that some later games will not be possible on the Wii U, I'm sure that's true... eventually. In the meantime, there are games that can ONLY be done on the Wii U. Any real gamer would want to play all the great games, not just some of them.

4. You have absolutely NO evidence to support your claim that the Wii U sales will be "insignificant compared to ps4/xbox one". I have provided detailed explanation for why it is likely that Wii U sales will be better in the next year. You have not provided any argument except "the ps4/xbox one is better" - which is nothing but console war drivel. And your reductionist approach to why the Wii was successful (motion controls) emphasises this even more.

You are the perfect example of what is wrong with the internet gaming community. I'm betting you haven't even looked at what titles are being released for the Wii U.