By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How's the nvidia shield doing ?

Anyone knows the sales number for it or what ? 

Has anyone kept track of it ? 

Around the Network

They sold out their initial "few thousand" unit shipments and were ramping up production for their international launch last I heard. Probably have to wait until their next financial call for more info.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
They sold out their initial "few thousand" unit shipments and were ramping up production for their international launch last I heard. Probably have to wait until their next financial call for more info.

Well that was extremely sad. Nvidia bites the dust again in the mobile space. 

I've forgotten that thing existed. Could be interesting seeing the sales numbers. With the Ouya... not exactly setting the world on fire recently, if this thing and that gamestick (the usb thing) fails, who knows if we will get more of theese consoles.

fatslob-:O said:
zarx said:

The Shield was never intended to sell millions of units, it is a combination of an ad and a technology testbed. It allowed them to feild test their streaming tech. Sheild 2.0 might be interesting tho.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network
zarx said:
zarx said:

The Shield was never intended to sell millions of units, it is a combination of an ad and a technology testbed. It allowed them to feild test their streaming tech. Sheild 2.0 might be interesting tho.

The problem with the shield is that it has a really small selection of AAA home console/computer games. It's gimmick is to get people to be able to play these games but at the same time there are very little amount of them. The shield 2.0 will likely fail too with the rest of the nvidia tegra chipsets that are irrelevant. 

Probably quite badly if you compare it to a portable gaming console/smartphone. But, in Shield's defense(see what I did there?), those kinds of devices don't need to sell that many units to be considered successes.

I actually have one and its really great. The ability to stream my pc games is pretty cool, android games run good too. If you have the setup, I would say this is a must have for you. However if you dont have the setup then I can easily not recommend you it.

The problem with the shield is that it has a really small selection of AAA home console/computer games. It's gimmick is to get people to be able to play these games but at the same time there are very little amount of them. The shield 2.0 will likely fail too with the rest of the nvidia tegra chipsets that are irrelevant. 

I think your problem is that you are thinking about it as a portable games console competing with the Vita and 3DS, it will never compete on those terms. Nvidia never intended the device to be competitive in that space. Nvidia never expected it to be a huge seller, and the device has actually been far more successful than they ever expected it too be. They only shipped a few thousand units at first for a reason, it surprised them that they sold out so fast and they had to ramp up production to meet demand. The gimmick is to be able to stream your PC games (if you have an Nvidia GPU) to a mobile device, that can also in tern display on a TV. Think of it more as a a remote play device that also allows you to play android games with physical controls, not as a dedicated gaming device as such.

For Nvidia The Sheild has already became a success. They sold out after all, despite being a niche device sold at a premium.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:

I think your problem is that you are thinking about it as a portable games console competing with the Vita and 3DS, it will never compete on those terms. Nvidia never intended the device to be competitive in that space. Nvidia never expected it to be a huge seller, and the device has actually been far more successful than they ever expected it too be. They only shipped a few thousand units at first for a reason, it surprised them that they sold out so fast and they had to ramp up production to meet demand. The gimmick is to be able to stream your PC games (if you have an Nvidia GPU) to a mobile device, that can also in tern display on a TV. Think of it more as a a remote play device that also allows you to play android games with physical controls, not as a dedicated gaming device as such.

For Nvidia The Sheild has already became a success. They sold out after all, despite being a niche device sold at a premium.

I think we can all agree with what the word "success" means on a sales site, right ? If it's not going to compete or more importantly start a huge market then why is nvidia even bothering ? I don't get why nvidia continues to sell the shield if it doesn't generate a sizable profit.