By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Toshiba making Blu-ray players soon?

http://1080living.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=30

Toshiba set to release a Blu-Ray player?

1080living.com has learned through sources in the distribution and retail business that the buzz is  Toshiba already has a Blu-Ray player in the works ready for production for  a  September 08 release but now this has been pushed up to a July 08 release with recent events in the industry.

This would make sense as Toshiba is a major electronics giant and supporting Blu-Ray will only benefit the company in the long run. Toshiba is currently liquidating HD-DVD players for as little as $90.00 which many analyst consider to be under their cost but as demand dries up Toshiba is trying to cash in on last minute consumers that will be swayed by price alone.

One source cited 2 players are in the works with a price target of $250 and $350.00.

Not a surprise at all. Toshiba makes good electronics and it'll be nice to see them join in the blu-ray push. Its been over for awhile, they're just trying to soften the blow, sell inventory, AND give themselves time to react and enter the blu-ray market.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they come in at low price points. They realize they have some catching up to do. And a large, relatively untapped market to try to grab ahold of.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

It's not like Toshiba and Sony are enemies. Sony did sell all their chip production to Toshiba and were partners with Toshiba for the cell from the beginning.

I would be pissed if i were an unaware consumer, Paramount, or Universal.

Players for $90? Where?
I sure could use a dedicated upscaling dvd player/high definition Serenity player.

epsilon72 said:
Players for $90? Where?
I sure could use a dedicated upscaling dvd player/high definition Serenity player.

All over right now...I just saw an RCA HD-DVD player on clearance at Meijer for $99 and I know Circuit City has all HD-DVD players on clearance (or at least they did).

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

They will not release it before they drop out, that is for sure.

wow, How do you think Paramount feels about this? While they are told they have to commit to more of HD-DVD exclusives, Toshiba is making Blu-Ray player and ditching its own userbase.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Even Sony is making iPod compatible equipment now. So it's not unprecedented for a company to dump their own stuff if they can make more money doing something else.

kingofwale said:
wow, How do you think Paramount feels about this? While they are told they have to commit to more of HD-DVD exclusives, Toshiba is making Blu-Ray player and ditching its own userbase.

paramount is probably doing the same thing Toshiba is. trying dump the rest of their stock to mitigate their losses. imagine if they declared they are turning blu-ray in a couple months. stores would pull their stock from shelves and send it back to the company. they would be forced to eat those losses.

its about time Toshiba got some sense knocked into them and went blu.