By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Main reason why Nintendo can survive a video game crash

Those familiar with Nintendo history will know that before it moved into the electronic entertainment industry it was founded as a playing card company, producing and marketing its Hanafuda game. Though not quite returning to those roots in a literal sense, the company is releasing an attractive Mahjong set, pictured above.

According to Kotaku it'll retail in Japan — its only confirmed release region — for a little under $200US, with an optional mat for $50. The Nintendo branding, as you can see in the images, is subtle; there's no smiling plumber to be found.

It's an expensive set, but shows Nintendo can produce quality away from video games, too.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/weirdness_nintendo_goes_old_school_with_a_mahjong_set

Around the Network

They can just go back to making card and board games.

0-o

It would have made more sense to show a picture of a 3ds and the thread would have wrote itself.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
It would have made more sense to show a picture of a 3ds and the thread would have wrote itself.

This is assuming even the 3DS falls from grace.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Sorry, I had to make a bait title to get hits.  They should release a sex mat in Japan considering Nintendo used to own love hotels.

sethnintendo said:
They can just go back to making card and board games.

As far as i know, they never stopped doing that.

That, and they survived the last crash pretty well.

Love and tolerate.

Considering how the "sex society" is going around in Japan nowadays, I'm pretty sure they can go back to the Love Hotel things, and make good profit with it.

Come to think of it, imagine that each room on a Nintendo Love Hotel has a WiiU with Bayonetta 2 in it!

Wright said:

Considering how the "sex society" is going around in Japan nowadays, I'm pretty sure they can go back to the Love Hotel things, and make good profit with it.

Come to think of it, imagine that each room on a Nintendo Love Hotel has a WiiU with Bayonetta 2 in it!

Or complementary furry/cosplay costumes based on their game characters for people to roleplay in!