By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Discussion Thread (The Final Day!)

If I post my missing games later next week will people still care?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
If I post my missing games later next week will people still care?

I'd read it.  This is a fun thread.

At this point I believe I'm finished tallying the votes (There's one person left who hasn't responded to me, but I'll give him until the end of the day before I finally move on.)

Two games are actually tied with the most votes (42). Of course, that's just the votes and I still need to add the sums of everyone's vote positions so that I can get a clearer picture, but this is the first time the 1 and 2 position have been so close.

Smeags said:
At this point I believe I'm finished tallying the votes (There's one person left who hasn't responded to me, but I'll give him until the end of the day before I finally move on.)

Two games are actually tied with the most votes (42). Of course, that's just the votes and I still need to add the sums of everyone's vote positions so that I can get a clearer picture, but this is the first time the 1 and 2 position have been so close.

How many lists did you get?

AshKetchum1992 said:

How many lists did you get?

76 lists in all, up from 71 last year. ^_^

Around the Network
Smeags said:

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

What? You were expecting more? Well fine, take a seat and let ol' Smeagsy remind you of what an astonishing gaming feat Super Mario Galaxy 2 is. The original Galaxy was a breath of fresh air. A reminder of why I played video games and the immense joy one could have with a controller in one's hand. Super Mario Galaxy 2, on the other hand, is that joy tempered to perfection. That unbridled creativity forged to focused, tempered gameplay genius.

Ahhhh Mario Galaxy, 1 and 2!

*so many feels* :')

Number One

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Nintendo 64 (2000)
Nintendo
Action-Adventure

This game was built on the same engine as Ocarina of Time, so right of the bat, this game has a lot going right for it.  Almost unfair really.  Hey, let's just take the best game ever made and do a sequel.  Umm, ok.  Kind of a no brainer.

Ocarina of Time already had kind of a dark tone to it, and this game just ups the ante.  I guess a giant moon crashing to earth with a big creepy grinning face will do that.

What puts this game over the top for me, is the interaction with the NPCs.  It is like they took the item trading in Link's Awakening and mulitplied that by about 100.  You get a notebook that helps you keep track of everyone's movements, and the things you need to do to complete side quests.  And boy, is this game full of side quests.  All the interaction with the characters really brings the game world to life, and makes you want to save everyone from the fate of the moon crashing to earth.

What really adds to the fun in this game is the masks.  When wearing a mask, Link gets a special ability that only applies while wearing it.  Want to get around faster?  Wear the Bunny Hood, it lets you run at 1.5 times the speed.  Someone won't talk to you as Link?  Maybe you need to wear the right mask as a disguise.  But the best are the Deku, Goron, and Zora masks.  They actually transform Link into those races when he wears it.  Along with that transformation, you also get the special abilities that go with each race!  Awesome!  Then of course you have the Fierce Deity mask...which is pretty sweet.

I know some people don't like the three day time limit, and it does kind of suck.  But you do have the ability to slow down time, which increases the time limit by quite a bit.  I still think the mechanic works pretty damn well, and it is the only way to get the depth of interaction with the townspeople that we see in this game.

This is a fantastic game, and a worthy number one.  I hope we one day see a re-release like Ocarina of Time got recently.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I decided to swap my #1 and #2 but I think it's a little bit too late:
Now it's :

#2 Dragon Quest VIII: The world and the scope of this game were impressive and I really love that artstyle that it has. At first I decided that it would be #2 because I had to grind many times before beating a boss but now that I think of it that doesn't bother me at all. The music of this game is outstanding and the story is simple but satisfying for me. The voice acting is my favorite of all games I've played and I loved the humor and lightheartedness of the game.

#1 Kingdom Hearts II: I loved the action combat, the Disney Worlds and the Roxas' part really moved me. The music is amazing and the battles are really fluid. I really feel strong nostalgia for this one. The graphics and art style are amazing and I loved the story. I had a lot of fun playing it and I've replayed it many times just to experience the battle system again.

EDIT: I decided to un-swap my #2 and #1 so Kingdom Hearts II returns to 1st place!

I'll follow Shadow 1980, it's statistics time. So I went counting and calculating. Even if most statistics here maybe aren't that interesting to a lot of you guys, it helps me understand my own gaming habits a little better, and it's just fun to know!

• Best Year: 1998, 7 titles.
  • Best Decade: '90s, 25 titles.
  • Average Year: 1999.2 (~ February 1999)
  • Average Game by Age: SimCity 3000 (PC), January 31st 1999, #26
  • Median Game by Release Date: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), December 11th 1998, #1
  • Most Featured Genre: Action-Adventure, 10 titles. Platforming, 12 titles when combining sub-genres.
  • Most Represented Platform: PC, 12 titles (inc. Mac 16 titles). Nintendo 64, 7 titles.
  • Most Represented Generation: 5th, N64+PS+GB(C)+PC, 16 titles
  • Most Successful Developer: Nintendo, 18 titles; Including subsidiaries, 21 titles.
  • Most Successful Franchise: Mario, 7 titles.
  • Most Successful Series: The Legend of Zelda, 5 titles.
  • Oldest Game: #14: Gunfighter (G7000 (ODY2)), 1979, #50
  • Newest Game: Luigi’s Mansion 2 (3DS), 2013, #41
  • Highest Newcomer: Metroid Fusion (GBA), 2002, #23

Some fun observations; As I suspected, 1998 has the most entries and the 5th generation as a whole wins. Also, the nineties as a decade win easily as every year except 1990 has at least one entry in my list. The latter part of the decade is the heaviest, understandably, as that was the 5th generation.  Also, the median entry, so the game that was released right in the middle release-date wise in list, is none other than my #1 entry. Talk about perfect, there's as much games released before that game as there are ones released afterwards in my list. Also, the game most near to the average age of games on my list is indeed one I could very well be identified with. Lastly, the PC wins as the most represented platform, but naturally that one just spans all generations .

I may as well throw down a few stats from my list.

Most games in a year:
1. 2002 (5)
2. 2003 (4)(tie)
2. 2008 (4)(tie)
4. 1996 (3)(tie)
4. 2001 (3)(tie)
4. 2004 (3)(tie)
4. 2009 (3)(tie)
It doesn't really show up here, but from numbers 8-20 on my list, all but one game is from the 1990's.

Most games on a console:
1. GameCube (12)(tie)
1. Wii (12)(tie)
3. SNES (8)
4. Nintendo 64 (7)
Again, it doesn't really show up here, but all 7 N64 games are in the top 15 of my list. Three of the top 5 are also N64 games.

I may go more in depth later.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)