By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Includes 6 Months of Skype Premium

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Adinnieken said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jazz2K said:
Having a console that does many things all in one is nice and a great idea especially when it work well. The problem I see (mostly because "fanboys" are more vocal about little things) is that some people think that every services they provide have to be free or really cheap because they already pay for Gold.

You actually have to pay for skype, you have to pay for fitness programs, you have to pay for netflix and so on and so on. I think people are surprised they still have to pay for those services now that they are on one machine...

you hit the nail on the head. Yes I said th

Text Messaging on Xbox One is a feature of Xbox LIVE, as it has been since forever.  Although under Xbox LIVE with the Xbox it required a paid subscription.  With Xbox 360 it is available with a Free account.  Via the Web a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold.

Text Chatting is a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold, as it was with the Xbox 360.

Skype Voice and Video chatting is a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold, as these features were with the Xbox 360.  Under the Xbox One, Skype gains the ability to video conference with up to 3 people (four total). 

Skype Voice and Video calling is a feature of Skype Premium and requires Xbox LIVE Gold and a Skype Premium account.  Skype Premium gives the added benefit of allowing you voice call any mobile or landline phone number.  I suppose if you someone has a video phone that is Skype compatible, you can directly dial that as well.

Since the Skype Premium account is tied to your Skype account, it's usable on any device where Skype is present including Windows, Mac, or Linux computers or any supported mobile phone or tablet.

TL;DR  Skype is a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold with the added benefit of video chatting for up to four people.  Skype Premium has some added benefits. 

All I can say is hopefully the people who care about it are already subscribed.  As a gamer my cellphone is quite beautiful sitting in my pocket while I game. :)

As a gamer I tried Netflix on 360 after them constantly offering a free month. I do believe it was a great decision. I've never used Skype. Maybe just maybe I will enjoy it also. I'm not sure what being a gamer has to do with anything though. 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Don't care for Xbox One.

Fixed, will save you some time for any future thread about the Xbox One features :)

Who are those "Gamers" that never use any features MS is putting on their console?

they don't use Skype,
they don't watch movies on Netflix, Hulu, Crackle,
they don't chat,
they don't use an internet browser,
they never watch tv or sports entertainment,
they don't use fitness programs,
they hate anything about motion controls,
their sight can't see below 1080p 60fps,
they can't talk to give voice commands,
they don't like casual games...

Good god it must suck to be a "Gamer" these days...

Imaginedvl said:
Don't care for Xbox One.

Fixed, will save you some time for any future thread about the Xbox One features :)

Really ?! Your going to resort to treating me as if I'm some anti xbox one guy ?  Newsflash, you can't handle the real world then if that's how you feel! Don't just assume I'm some xbox one hater! There good games on the xbox 360 like halo so don't be claiming that I'm some fanboy either. You insecure people make me so sad to be a gamer. Am I not allowed to not give a shit about non gaming features on a console ? I simply don't care for them on consoles as I have a master race PC to do all those nice extra's for me. BTW your xbox guy Nsanity agrees with me too. 

Imaginedvl said:
Don't care for Xbox One.

Really ?! Your going to resort to treating me as if I'm some anti xbox one guy ?  Newsflash, you can't handle the real world then if that's how you feel! Don't just assume I'm some xbox one hater! There good games on the xbox 360 like halo so don't be claiming that I'm some fanboy either. You insecure people make me so sad to be a gamer. Am I not allowed to not give a shit about non gaming features on a console ? I simply don't care for them on consoles as I have a master race PC to do all those nice extra's for me. BTW your xbox guy Nsanity agrees with me too. 

Lol Nsanity agrees with me :) You are so credible now, thank you!

By the way; as a PC guy, you are really not using Skype at all? (you said you did not care about Skype) or is it the premium aspect that you do not care?

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:

Lol Nsanity agrees with me :) You are so credible now, thank you!

*cough*

Nsanity said:
Don't care for skype.

Same here.

I wonder who he now agrees with ?  LOLOL You'd be more credible if you had read the whole thread instead of just targetting my posts. Bwahahaha

S.T.A.G.E. said:

All I can say is hopefully the people who care about it are already subscribed.  As a gamer my cellphone is quite beautiful sitting in my pocket while I game. :)

Yes, yes... cell phones are wonderful.

But I'm pretty sure much of Skype's success comes from being a cheap option to make phone calls over seas. Which is why it has a massive marketshare of international calls.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

TheSting said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Adinnieken said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jazz2K said:
Having a console that does many things all in one is nice and a great idea especially when it work well. The problem I see (mostly because "fanboys" are more vocal about little things) is that some people think that every services they provide have to be free or really cheap because they already pay for Gold.

You actually have to pay for skype, you have to pay for fitness programs, you have to pay for netflix and so on and so on. I think people are surprised they still have to pay for those services now that they are on one machine...

Text Messaging on Xbox One is a feature of Xbox LIVE, as it has been since forever.  Although under Xbox LIVE with the Xbox it required a paid subscription.  With Xbox 360 it is available with a Free account.  Via the Web a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold.

Skype Voice and Video chatting is a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold, as these features were with the Xbox 360.  Under the Xbox One, Skype gains the ability to video conference with up to 3 people (four total). 

Skype Voice and Video calling is a feature of Skype Premium and requires Xbox LIVE Gold and a Skype Premium account.  Skype Premium gives the added benefit of allowing you voice call any mobile or landline phone number.  I suppose if you someone has a video phone that is Skype compatible, you can directly dial that as well.

Since the Skype Premium account is tied to your Skype account, it's usable on any device where Skype is present including Windows, Mac, or Linux computers or any supported mobile phone or tablet.

TL;DR  Skype is a feature of Xbox LIVE Gold with the added benefit of video chatting for up to four people.  Skype Premium has some added benefits. 

As a gamer I tried Netflix on 360 after them constantly offering a free month. I do believe it was a great decision. I've never used Skype. Maybe just maybe I will enjoy it also. I'm not sure what being a gamer has to do with anything though. 

First of all having a subsription based service being put behind a paywall is bad form. That should be available to the consumer who willingly subscribes. Microsoft is the only brand that would do this. Secondly, sell as a gamer skype will most likely be useful for group chats, but the primary form should be available outside of gold and the premium version should be avaiable to gold members as a sign on bonus to make Gold more attractive. Of course pay MS more if you want to add to your experience.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
TheSting said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Adinnieken said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Jazz2K said:

First of all having a subsription based service being put behind a paywall is bad form. That should be available to the consumer who willingly subscribes. Microsoft is the only brand that would do this. Secondly, sell as a gamer skype will most likely be useful for group chats, but the primary form should be available outside of gold and the premium version should be avaiable to gold members as a sign on bonus to make Gold more attractive. Of course pay MS more if you want to add to your experience.

Right meaning you have a choice to pay for these things. No one is forcing anyone to buy or pay for anything. So why the snide remarks and stuff? Not you but anyone. It's my right to pay if I like. Tons of ppl spend money re buying Jordan shoes(example) those shoes aren't needed at all. We argue over nonsense really. Ppl waste money daily on shit they don't need. That's a fact

At least MS is offer something... Its not even a bad deal there giving you premium Skype for half a year, stop complaining and just enjoy the fact you get it for free.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!