By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony make or break this holiday?

Shinobi-san said:
Lawlight said:
Shinobi-san said:

Point is Sony highlighted gaming and Sony pictures as the reasons for why they made a loss.

Usually these sectors do well (as well as finances) an offset TV and other poorer ones.

I am just repeating what Sony themselves said.

No, they are not. Where did you get that from?

They are not what? Where did i get what from?

When sony releases their financial results they give a commentary or analysis as to why they made a loss etc.

They specifically mentioned Sony pictures and gaming this time around. Like i said these areas usually does well for Sony this time it didnt. Im not saying that these are usually bad areas for Sony. Whats your problem with what im saying?

I will look for my source but im pretty sure about this.

Wrong. Read their comments on the operating losses at the link below. They cite Pictures and Mobile Products and Communications.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q2_sony.pdf

It's clear to me that you're just making stuff up.

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
DamnTastic said:

added this to the OP.

you can see the main reasons for the loss are TV and Pictures

Thanks for posting this.

Like i said earlier Sony Pictures and gaming are usually areas where Sony profits from (as well as financial services). This helps them offset there bad areas like TV.

I see mobile didnt do that badly this quarter. Which is why i said that because of of worse than expected performances in gaming and Sony pictures...this led to them having a loss this quarted. It was well known that TV was going to do badly.

Dear god....

Lawlight said:
Shinobi-san said:

When sony releases their financial results they give a commentary or analysis as to why they made a loss etc.

They specifically mentioned Sony pictures and gaming this time around. Like i said these areas usually does well for Sony this time it didnt. Im not saying that these are usually bad areas for Sony. Whats your problem with what im saying?

Wrong. Read their comments on the operating losses at the link below. They cite Pictures and Mobile Products and Communications.

I don't get why you are being so agressive. I'm not making stuff up. I made one mistake...sony didnt specifically highligh gaming as a big contributor to losses but they did make a loss in gaming and they did highlight sony pictures which is what ive been saying. My point was that they usually do well in pictures and gaming and this time they didnt. I was also correcting damntastic because he said Mobile did badly...where Sony specifically state mobile did well.

You quick to point out where i made a mistake and claim i am making stuff up yet you didnt acknowledge that i was right about pictures and mobile. You also didnt even bother to correct other people pointing to Mobile. Whats your problem scrub?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Lawlight said:
Shinobi-san said:

Thanks for posting this.

Like i said earlier Sony Pictures and gaming are usually areas where Sony profits from (as well as financial services). This helps them offset there bad areas like TV.

I see mobile didnt do that badly this quarter. Which is why i said that because of of worse than expected performances in gaming and Sony pictures...this led to them having a loss this quarted. It was well known that TV was going to do badly.

Dear god....

Are you seriously taking it to heart that i am pointing out the losses in gaming Is that whats got your troubled? Everything ive said in this thread is correct except one thing yet you are on my case.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Just out of curiosity, if Sony goes under and has to sell/auction off it's assets, would the playstation branch be able to purchase themselves and become independent or would they have to be bought by someone with a ton of money?

If the latter, then the only kind of company that has that much extra cash floating around, that has been building up it's cash reserves for years, is Nintendo. Microsoft's xbox division is apparently losing money for MS (according to a bunch of reports/false reports/I don't know) and rumors are mounting that they may sell their xbox branch in order to focus on profits associated with OS's and office packages, so they are unlikely to try purchasing Playstation brand if Playstation is sold from Sony. SEGA won't (and doesn't have enough money). I could see Apple possibly doing it (possibly in order to prevent Nintendo from becoming dominant and/or to stick it to Microsoft). I can't see anyone else having the ability.

Seriously people, the reality is Sony could very well go under. Playstation is very successful for them but it doesn't come close to offsetting their other problems. I think the discussion of where playstation games will be played at in the future is a interesting discussion to be had.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Just out of curiosity, if Sony goes under and has to sell/auction off it's assets, would the playstation branch be able to purchase themselves and become independent or would they have to be bought by someone with a ton of money?

If the latter, then the only kind of company that has that much extra cash floating around, that has been building up it's cash reserves for years, is Nintendo. Microsoft's xbox division is apparently losing money for MS (according to a bunch of reports/false reports/I don't know) and rumors are mounting that they may sell their xbox branch in order to focus on profits associated with OS's and office packages, so they are unlikely to try purchasing Playstation brand if Playstation is sold from Sony. SEGA won't (and doesn't have enough money). I could see Apple possibly doing it (possibly in order to prevent Nintendo from becoming dominant and/or to stick it to Microsoft). I can't see anyone else having the ability.

Seriously people, the reality is Sony could very well go under. Playstation is very successful for them but it doesn't come close to offsetting their other problems. I think the discussion of where playstation games will be played at in the future is a interesting discussion to be had.

It would be kinda scary to think of Sony pulling a Dreamcast (amazing device at the time) where, despite doing virtually everything right, the console owners suffer because of financial problems of the company.  It's pretty easy to forget Sony's credit/monetary problems of 2012 after the insanely warm reception the PS4 has been receiving from every direction.  I'm sure Sony will still be here for years to come and consumers are confident in the brand, but reading the OP makes you wonder.  Are gamers being a little too optimistic?

haxxiy said:
BuckStud said:
Landguy said:
This falls into the same problem Nintendo has. They are dependent on their consoles to make or break the companies at this point.

Sony will be OK, as the PS4 will be very successful this next 12-18 months for sure.
The difference being that Sony had to sell their two largest office buildings for about $2 Billion so that they could afford to launch the PS4 and Nintendo is sitting on about $14 Billion in cash.  If the PS4 does as well as the PS3 and the Wii U only does as well as the Gamecube, unless something big was to happen, Nintendo would still be sitting in a much healthier financial position.  If the Wii U stopped selling today and Nintendo re-structured, they would still be better off than Sony is. 

Sony has more cash on bank than Nintendo. Also, you got no reason whatsoever to believe the sell-off of those buildings had anything to do with SCE, so I'm going to attribute that one to a failed attempt at flaming.

In fact, if SCE wanted money in hand to manufacture the PS4, they probably would be better off doing a low-risk, short-term loan than begging the parent company for the entire sum they made on these sell-offs.

I usually have links to back me up but I don't have a lot of time, tonight.  Anyway, if memory serves, wasn't Sony having all kinds of financial problems last year?  I recall seeing thread after thread about Sony's credit rating being lowered repeatedly and them having to sell tons of assets.  Was that Sony as a whole or Sony Consumer Entertainment or what? Somebody back me up, here.

attaboy said:
Dulfite said:

It would be kinda scary to think of Sony pulling a Dreamcast (amazing device at the time) where, despite doing virtually everything right, the console owners suffer because of financial problems of the company.  It's pretty easy to forget Sony's credit/monetary problems of 2012 after the insanely warm reception the PS4 has been receiving from every direction.  I'm sure Sony will still be here for years to come and consumers are confident in the brand, but reading the OP makes you wonder.  Are gamers being a little too optimistic?

Between the Wii U selling poorly, the talk about the possibility of the new MS CEO getting rid of the Xbox division, and the company behind the Playstation not doing so hot...for people who love console gaming, all these rumors and facts could get depressing, yes.

Shinobi-san said:
Lawlight said:
Shinobi-san said:

I don't get why you are being so agressive. I'm not making stuff up. I made one mistake...sony didnt specifically highligh gaming as a big contributor to losses but they did make a loss in gaming and they did highlight sony pictures which is what ive been saying. My point was that they usually do well in pictures and gaming and this time they didnt. I was also correcting damntastic because he said Mobile did badly...where Sony specifically state mobile did well.

You quick to point out where i made a mistake and claim i am making stuff up yet you didnt acknowledge that i was right about pictures and mobile. You also didnt even bother to correct other people pointing to Mobile. Whats your problem scrub?

You insisted and insisted but it's good that you accept that you made a mistake. End result is movies and mobile are the reasons for the losses. The gaming division is safe with the coming of the PS4, which will be immediately profitable.

Lawlight said:
Shinobi-san said:

You insisted and insisted but it's good that you accept that you made a mistake. End result is movies and mobile are the reasons for the losses. The gaming division is safe with the coming of the PS4, which will be immediately profitable.

Wait what? You are now saying that mobile contributed to losses when it made the same losses as gaming?

I guess you think i was trying to imply that the gaming division wasnt safe. That was NOT what i was saying. I was saying that the gaming division also contributed to losses this quarter. Which it did.

All comments I made was about this quarter not in general for Sony.