By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Useless without day 1 patch...

What is your opinion of day one patches for consoles and games?

they suck 73 38.83%

they are a necessary evil 54 28.72%

they rock!! 9 4.79%

i don't give a **** 52 27.66%

Total:188

"Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One won't be able to do anything until a mandatory day one update is installed.

In an interview with Engadget, senior director of product management Albert Penello explained that even disc-based games won't work with the console until the patch is installed, thanks to the fact it's shipped with an old operating system. When asked what consumers could expect to do without the patch installed, Penello said "Nothing. You need the day one update." "A lot of the apps come with the day one update because they wouldn't have even been done. You're gonna need to take this update. It's not gonna be really an optional thing.

"Functionally, you will be able to do very little without taking the day one update."

In case you missed it earlier today, Penello also opened up about the likelihood of backwards compatibility coming to Xbox One through cloud streaming services."

The update file size is: 500mb

Source: www.ign.com

So, day one patches for both consoles, although the Xbox one's update is mandatory,

Thoughts??

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

Around the Network

Wtf?

Now I am waiting for the slim version even more.

Isn't that basically what the WiiU had?

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Wasn't this confirmed awhile ago, like right after they had there 180 and reversed there polices.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it’s called Xbox 360
#DealWithIt

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Around the Network

they should but the update on the game disks. For people without internet or that have crappy internet.

FatedReality said:
Wasn't this confirmed awhile ago, like right after they had there 180 and reversed there polices.

i think they did say something about having to do a day one patch, and i don't think anyone is surprised that there is a patch on day one, but what surprised me is that fact that the patch is mandatory, and that if you don't have internet you're screwed...

Me gusta queso 

Wright said:

Wtf?

Now I am waiting for the slim version even more.

Same here, maybe they'll have a version with the kinect built into the console itself...

Me gusta queso 

radishhead said:
Isn't that basically what the WiiU had?

no, no. Why people don't do their research. You were able to play any game you want from the get-go on the Wii U. The problem was if you wanted to access the internet browser or any internet based app like Miiverse and other. If you have internet you are going to get that update, but if you don't that doesn't matter when still can play any Wii and Wii U game you wanted. 

killerzX said:
they should but the update on the game disks. For people without internet or that have crappy internet.

You can get a disc with the update on the ps4 right?

Me gusta queso