By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Wired: PS4 Naked

Ooooh I saw its bewbs!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Most interesting for me the tech junky was that the SOC was est8imated at 350-360mm from these pictures.

That means it's not smaller than the ESRAM-bloated X1 SOC (which is 363mm). Or not materially so.

A lot of people I think were kind of assuming it would be. Which would have been a positive for Sony.

Basically thats a victory for Microsoft in the cost wars. (die size ~cost of the chip)

Both SOCs being around 360 mm means both SOC's should cost about the same to fab (manufacture). But X1 still uses far cheaper DDR3 vs GDDR5 on PS4.

OdinHades said:
I'm seriously impressed by that design. It's small and sleek but still powerful and it has everything inside the box unlike certain other consoles. I would have prefered a 120mm fan because of the lower noise, but we'll see just how loud that little 85mm fan will get.

Hey PC guys, build me a PC for 399 $ with the same power in that size! =D *scnr*

Actually you could probably get pretty close. Especially if you didn't need a Windows license (as consoles dont).

Small doesn't typically make PC's more expensive, in fact the Micro ATX boards are usually cheaper.

You'd just end up using some generic SFF case that wouldn't look quiet as sleek as PS4, mind you.

This might be the best next-gen video yet.
Hmm move mini game, put it correctly back together again!

Around the Network
fallen said:

Both SOCs being around 360 mm means both SOC's should cost about the same to fab (manufacture). But X1 still uses far cheaper DDR3 vs GDDR5 on PS4.

You can use the 170BGA carriers next to the SoC to estimate sizes. The gddr5s are 12mm*14mm. I get around 19mm*19mm for the APU chip carrier, so the die size should be around 290mm^2, give or take 10%. As expected, around 20-25% less than XBox One die size.