By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's latest survey wants to know what you think of online play

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:
Suke said:
curl-6 said:
prayformojo said:

While it's pointless to argue due to the fact that we'll never KNOW, I'm peronally confident that had Nintendo launched what is now the PS4, only with Nintendo first party games? The Wii-U would probably be selling out right now.

The reason Wii-U is where it is, imo, is because it isn't offering the current market what it wants. It's basic economics and common sense.

There's a lot more going for the PS4 than just its online though. I'm just not sure that simply giving 3D World online would so easily sway the tides of the console war.

What's going for Sony, Microsoft and Valve are the third party market with exclusives to differentiate from one another. Nintendo is solely on gimmicks and exclusives.

Things like motion control and the gamepad are not gimmicks.

gimmicks?... don't feed the trolls my friend.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
curl-6 said:
prayformojo said:
curl-6 said:
prayformojo said:

While it's pointless to argue due to the fact that we'll never KNOW, I'm peronally confident that had Nintendo launched what is now the PS4, only with Nintendo first party games? The Wii-U would probably be selling out right now.

The reason Wii-U is where it is, imo, is because it isn't offering the current market what it wants. It's basic economics and common sense.

There's a lot more going for the PS4 than just its online though. I'm just not sure that simply giving 3D World online would so easily sway the tides of the console war.

I'm not talking about adding online to ONE little game. I'm talking about a company wide philosophy. They're not offering, on the WHOLE, what consumers want. Sony and to a lesser degree, MS cleary are and I think maybe it's time Nintendo falls in line and brings the heat.

The last time they decided to basically go toe to toe hardware wise, was the SNES and it was the last time they lead the core market. Back then, the idea was release a standard controller, extremely powerful hardware (compared to the competition) and differintiate with unique and innovative SOFTWARE. I think that's the right idea. Why? Because then third parties don't have to release different versions of software and consumers get the best of both worlds.

But no, they're stuck on this idea of using weaker hardware, a different controller and lacking a robust, modern online infrastructure and it's KILLING THEM.

Their last console that played the graphical arms race (and had a standard controller) was the Gamecube, and that was their least successful.

Graphics are only one part of hardware parity. You need to have a controller that allows third parties the abilty to release the game without having to drastically alter anything. The GC controller didn't have a full sized, industry standard second analog stick. The medium was a non standard, low compacity proprietary disc that would have caused games like GTA SA to span 6, or even 8 discs if it were released on the system. Throw in the whole lack of any online vision and what you basically have is a closed off, ugly red headed step child of a conole. It' pretty obvious as to why major third parties stayed away.

The N64 had the same issues as well. It only had one analog stick and used carts instead of CD as it's medium. As a result, third parties stayed sided with Sony. The last time Nintendo went with industry standard hardware/software was the SNES and it was also the last time they won the core market and had amazing third party support.

Coincidence?

Online was not standard in the 6th gen, so it's lack of inclusion wasn't a significant factor.

And from 1994-1997 PS1 had NO analogue sticks, so N64's 1 was no barrier. (It was essentially a substitute D-pad in multiplatform terms) And GCN's controller was easily adapted to many a dual-analogue designed multiplat.

Online multiplayer didn't hurt Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash Bros., Luigi's Mansion, etc. etc. did it? No? Then why they heck isn't it in all applicable games Nintendo!?

Roma said:
there was a backlash for mario 3d world not having online?

local > online for me

I dunno if it was really a backlash. Some people were bummed out though, myself included.