By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS gave me Killer Instinct for free, so check your e-mail Xbox fans.

Nem said:

Ah... there we go. I knew there was a catch.

Still, better than nothing though. :)

There is no catch, you're reaching.

Unlocking all the season 1 characters is $20 I believe. So this is $20 I was going to spend for free.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Nem said:

Ah... there we go. I knew there was a catch.

Still, better than nothing though. :)

There is no catch, you're reaching.

Unlocking all the season 1 characters is $20 I believe. So this is $20 I was going to spend for free.

What i meant is that they always have a meaning for offering stuff. I'm particular to this stuff cause its my area of expertise, in this case direct Marketing. They offer you the first characters in hope to hook you so you buy the rest.

As i said though, its something, and it does save you money if you were thinking of buying it anyways and you're obviously not obligated to buy anymore characters. I was just alerting that these things always have an ulterior meaning behind them.

~ Mod Edit ~

This user was moderated by TruckOSaurus for this post.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Nem said:

What i meant is that they always have a meaning for offering stuff. I'm particular to this stuff cause its my area of expertise, in this case direct Marketing. They offer you the first characters in hope to hook you so you buy the rest.

As i said though, its something, and it does save you money if you were thinking of buying it anyways and you're obviously not obligated to buy anymore characters. I was just alerting that these things always have an ulterior meaning behind them.

Like I said before, you're kinda reaching. When a console bundled with games the masses see a deal. But with your logic, they are just trying to push DLC.

Perhaps a reason MS gave out free copies is to help build a strong community and get more people talking about this game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

165.000 Gamerscore, 230 games played & xbox live gold since the beginning without a single day of non-gold membership here and nothing ... neither FIFA nor Killer Instinct, nor a frigging "thanks dude" mail. Seriously, f*** this MS. I'm a few minutes from finally dropping my one preorder. Not that I would really need either of those, especially considering the "content" of the gift package, but SOME sort of gratitude towards loyal customers would be KINDA nice of MS. Just something, ffs, srsly? I didn't get a fucking single mail or anything like that in this whole generation. Even Sony send me something for completing a stupid single game

Around the Network

wasn´t this game supposed to be F2P ? And then you just pay for the characters and stuff ?

Mr Puggsly said:
Nem said:

Like I said before, you're kinda reaching. When a console bundled with games the masses see a deal. But with your logic, they are just trying to push DLC.

Perhaps a reason MS gave out free copies is to help build a strong community and get more people talking about this game.

Oh he's a 100% right when he's talking about ulterior motives. A company will never simply give you something for free because they feel nice, that just doesn't happen. There's always a ulterior motive and it usually boils down to a form of marketing ("Oh man! X company gave me this for free!") and hooking you for future sales. That's why most companies these days have reward programs.

Now with that said it really doesn't matter what their ulterior motives are because you're getting something free (and yes, it really is free) and that's awesome. Free stuff is my favorite form of marketing from a company.

Mr Puggsly said:
Nem said:

That is definitly it aswell. Theres more than one objective on these things. Another one is to build a relationship with the customer, you, in order to keep you buying their products.

The logic is that a lifetime customer is worth alot of revenue. Giving you something for free is peanuts compared to the money they expect to make from you. Of course, this is all in theory. In practice its a bit harder to implement.

Nem said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Nem said:

That is definitly it aswell. Theres more than one objective on these things. Another one is to build a relationship with the customer, you, in order to keep you buying their products.

The logic is that a lifetime customer is worth alot of revenue. Giving you something for free is peanuts compared to the money they expect to make from you. Of course, this is all in theory. In practice its a bit harder to implement.

Doesn't everyone already know this though? Every company does this.

TheSting said:
Nem said:

Doesn't everyone already know this though? Every company does this.

I think you'd be surprised. And not every company does this, or goes around it in a different way. Depends on their business and their strategy. Its usually a good idea to do so though.