By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix lays out future plans... you're gonna like it..

SE future:

is promising 15 9.62%

looks good 7 4.49%

wait what.. how.. when? 14 8.97%

DOOMED!! 36 23.08%

WTF are they doing!! 83 53.21%

Total:155
pezus said:
NiKKoM said:

From a marketing perpective Sony doesn't handle their franchises well.. Final Fantasy should be like a Star Wars, LoTR.. it has the potential to be like that. to go beyond the initial medium.. Sony have never showed to handle something like that.. Halo is bigger then its videogames, GT and Uncharted are sadly not..

I don't know why you say that. 

1. What makes you think FF has that potential?

2. GT and Uncharted are both bigger than their games, though. Everyone that loves racing knows about Gran Turismo and Nathan Drake is one of the most recognizable characters of the 7th gen. Sony market GT and Uncharted a LOT, GT especially in Europe. And you're forgetting that they're already planning movies for both franchises.

3. Halo is bigger than its games because...? I honestly don't know about many that don't play Halo (or videogames in general), but recognize it instantly. Maybe it's an American thing (even though I know you don't live there), while GT is way bigger outside of America.

1. Final Fantasy 7 Advent Childeren.. that DVD sold like ~4 million copies.. heck the BluRay release boosted the PS3 and was in the top 10 blurays in Japan that year.. clearly there is a fanbase interested in FF stuff beyond videogames. for example the HALO Dvd sold 600.000.

2. No they arent... while they are great games and maybe after the movies releases but they haven't reached a level that had a cultural impact like:
3. Halo... When Time Magazine includes Halo 2 in it's top 100 of 2005 and Variety calls it an equivalent of “Star Wars". HALO is a part of pop culture.
it grew beyond its initial medium and became a strong brand stretching to books, award winning webseries and next up a TV series.

http://variety.com/2010/digital/news/halo-the-care-and-feeding-of-a-franchise-1118023688/

ps i also think Disney could do it.. if they get a good development team..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Mummelmann said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
i dont give them 3 years until they dead like THQ, i just hope they ship ff 15, then they can go down and sold ff IP to sony

Sony/NC Soft are likely candidates for the FF franchise rights, they would do it justice and still have some fingers extended into several markets.

Do you see SquareEnix really vanishing into obscurity (or close to it) by the time this new generation ends?

Not really, those are just the viable choices should it come to pass. I think SE has a future, if they manage to gain a strong holding in a market again. They have some really good trademarks and talent with Eidos and Enix, not to mention in-house Square staff, I do think that this idea they have about MMO and mobile only will bite them hard in the ass.

There are some few companies who make ass-loads of cash in the mobile market but the vast majority make next to nothing and MMO's are turning fickle and short-lived, even the Freemium model has shown big cracks in the armor.

I hate you.

Take my love, take my land..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yh2InVsFag

I don't care about Square anymore, all I want from them are Vita HD remakes, but I really like Eidos games. If they go MMO and mobile only, they won't get a dime out of me and can just as well go bust.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

If they had simply remade FF7 they could have recaptured the old gamers and brought the new gen of gamers into what final fantasy is all about. I have no doubt it would have kick started a whole new rpg craze like in the old days.

Around the Network

Probably the only franchises they will develop for consoles will be Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts (if KH III sells well). Bad that they will forever own the Chrono IP and Dragon Quest :(

Man I hate smart phones now stupid crap games

Halo isn't even close to Star Wars, it's crazy to say something like that. In fact I don't know a single person who has played it. It may be huge in NA, but not so much in Europe. Many gamers wouldn't have a clue who Master Chief is, let alone people who aren't core gamers.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

pezus said:

1. Do you really think FFVII DVD was bought by many who don't play FF? Just releasing a movie for the fanbase isn't exactly expanding the fanbase you know. Same for the Halo DVD.

2. Saying no they aren't isn't a sufficient counter. They are, I even mentioned some reasons why they are so but you seem to think only a movie can make a game grow.

3. While I'd never argue it's the equivalent of Star Wars (come on), I do agree that Halo has had some impact in other mediums. However, that doesn't counter what I said, which is that Sony has at least 2 such franchises while MS has 1.

AND lastly, you're completely ignoring the most important factor by far, which is that Microsoft can't seem to grasp the Japanese market, which is probably FF's most important market (at least relatively).

Sony has everything in place: Good dev teams AND a movie production company, while Disney practically only has the movie side.

1. it means there is demand for more FF products then just the games.. thats called expanding the brand.. there is a market for that which, 2 and 3, Halo has proven to fill that demand which the Sony franchises haven't done yet.. and maybe never will.. it's not about games, or movies... it's about building and expanding a brand.. Like Disney did with the Marvel franshises.. within a few years the Marvel Franshises have become much larger then the comics.. which is amazing from a brand developing view.. I believe FF has that potential heck Square themself also thought it had that potential but screwed it up with an awfull movie..

it doesn't really matter that MS doesn't grasp the japanese market.. that small, game related thinking... FF should be an international powerhouse brand.. did we in Europe care about Iron Man? did they in China? No we didn't and yet now its incredible popular..
And yes Sony has everything in place, for years, but they have never done anything with it.. look at the franshises they have, from movies to games.. yet they fail to expand with them.. for Example James Bond.. they have it since 1997.. yet there isn't an exclusive James Bond game on the playstation from for example Naughty Dog? A game like that would sell 8+ million.. An Heavenly Sword movie 6 years after the game? do people even remember Heavenly Sword? There should have been a Ratchet an Clank Tv series 10 years ago with cool toy lines like BEN10..  All Sony franshises have a lot more potential then Sony is extracting from it.. thats why I don't think Sony should handle FF

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)