By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl tops 1 million sales in Japan

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUST27165520080212?rpc=401

Nintendo "Super Smash Bros" Japan sales top 1 million

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:09am EST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) sold 1.08 million units of its "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" software in 11 days since its January 31 launch in Japan, reaching the 1 million mark faster than any other Wii game, a game magazine publisher said.

Strong demand for its DS handheld gear and Wii console, which features a motion-sensing controller that allows gamers to direct on-screen plays by swinging it like a racket, helped Nintendo zip past Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and Honda Motor Co Ltd (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research) in market value last year.

It took "Wii Fit" seven weeks and "Wii Sports" 11 weeks to sell 1 million units in Japan, publisher Enterbrain said.

"Wii Fit" and "Wii Sports" are two of the most popular game titles for the Wii, which went on sale in late 2006.

Nintendo plans to launch "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" in North America on March 9.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

Around the Network

The comparioson to Wii fit and Wii sports is a little flawed as the Wii games are long leg games which last for months if not years on the charts while SSBB is going to be much more front heavy with a dropoff at some point

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

It isn't written by a games mag so I'd ignore and comparisons and statements about "handheld gear" and "swinging it like a racket". Read any article in a newspaper which you know something about and you'll immediately know the author doesn't have a clue. The only important bit is the sales figure.

over 1 million in ten day thats 3 million a month and 36 million a year shit we need 16 million more wii`s this year!!

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Yes, yes, Legend, thanks for letting us know you were right when you claimed VGchartz was overestimating Brawl.

Famitsu says last week, Brawl sold 800,000 copies. This week they his us up with 1mill 8. That's 280,000 copies this week, they tracked, which since they undertracked it last week by 40,000, and we can safely use that as a margin for error, Source still missed the low end mark by about 80,000 units.

Yes, we saw your post in the preview saying it was over-tracked. Yes, most of us realize the purpose of this post. No, we don't care either way, if Brawl sells a few units more or less this week, because frankly, in the sales race, you, as a 360 fan, should be sweating bullets right now, instead of worrying about the Nintendo fanboys.

Goodnight.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

This is great news for all gamers. Let's hope Devil May Cry 4 can kick some ass, too! A healthy Japanese market means great things for us gamers. Because let's dace it, most of the hardcore games are from Japanese developers.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Yes, yes, Legend, thanks for letting us know you were right when you claimed VGchartz was overestimating Brawl.

Famitsu says last week, Brawl sold 800,000 copies. This week they his us up with 1mill 8. That's 280,000 copies this week, they tracked, which since they undertracked it last week by 40,000, and we can safely use that as a margin for error, Source still missed the low end mark by about 80,000 units.

Yes, we saw your post in the preview saying it was over-tracked. Yes, most of us realize the purpose of this post. No, we don't care either way, if Brawl sells a few units more or less this week, because frankly, in the sales race, you, as a 360 fan, should be sweating bullets right now, instead of worrying about the Nintendo fanboys.

Goodnight.

Something wrong man?

Chrizum said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Goodnight.

Something wrong man?

Nope, that's just Zen for you. He speaks his mind, and he has a strait-foward attitiude.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

I don't think Legend realizes that Source's figures are preliminary and aren't necessarily representative of the final figures (as the discrepancies in the Wii titles have shown)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Riot Of The Blood said:
This is great news for all gamers. Let's hope Devil May Cry 4 can kick some ass, too! A healthy Japanese market means great things for us gamers. Because let's dace it, most of the hardcore games are from Japanese developers.

I usually don't agree with what you write :D  ( yeah .. i know i'm new here ), but i totally agree with your post, i was really happy with the DMC4 numbers on Japan and the SSBB succes. I hop Let's hope this games keep going on like they are now =D and show some great legs. 

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa