By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Current gen Vs Next Gen Battle filed comparison.

foodfather said:

Thats because everyone is up in arms about resulotion, something that does not matter at all. In every pic I have seen, the XB1 version has by far the better textures. No amount of compression or whatever excuses the kids are using these days can hide that. 

Ugh.

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:

I don't know if this video was posted here or not. Imo the improvment is obvious but it is still not that big of a leap. the word "crisp" comes to mind looking at the next gen versions.

I am aware this is pushing the current gen to their limits and it's just scratching the surface on the next gen consoles but as of now, is graphics alone worth an upgrade?

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/01/battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-current-gen

Thoughts.

Ps. sorry for anothe comparison video :(

This is another non-fair comparison between current and next gen. This Battlefield video, like the Assassin's Creed video, compares the same game (ok) on different platforms (ok) from different gens (well, one will just start while the other has years of optimization) and the game used is designed for 7th gen and a port for 8th gen (not fair at all!). On these terms, are you expecting to see significant differences?

This is a fair comparision between generations:

- first Forza on Xbox original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uq7b8r27Ig

- first Forza on Xbox 360: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPeYKTH4lo

- first Forza on Xbox One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Cta35cq7Q

We know how big the leap for the 7th gen was (that is represented by the difference between the first and second videos). Now see the difference between the second and the third videos to assess the leap for the 8th gen.

Another video that shows some fair comparisons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BDfATPAkHs

Any video comparing a 7th gen game with an 8th gen port is someone trying to throw bad propaganda regarding the 8th gen.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

brendude13 said:
foodfather said:
brendude13 said:
foodfather said:
Textures look so much better on the Xbox One.

This is the 2nd time I've seen someone try to use a horribly compressed GIF in a graphical comparison.

Since when does compression effect textures?

Since the image is so compressed that you can't even see texture detail. What you are seeing isn't better textures, its greater contrast between compression artefacts.

After Eurogamer have published a shit tonne of high quality screenshots, using an image like this is just grasping at straws.

I'm no expert but they are all evenly compressed seeing as how they were all ripped from the same video. So if the compressed x1 version looks stronger wouldn't the full version also look stronger?

I hate that "grasping at straws" phrase btw. It always seems to come up in a way that it translates to "please stop finding benficial parts to your argument"

Ahh based on that pic in my opinion though the ps4 looks hell a blury, wonder why the x1 wasn't affected by that...... but what ever, I realized just about everyone's vision is clouded by bias on these things so it's all pointless.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

There are several reasons why the difference is relatively small at this moment between current and next gen consoles:

- Most development is geared towards current gen. and these games are merely ports, which use the extra horse power for only higher resolution, frame rate and smoother graphics, but that's about it, nothing fundamentally different. This should continue at least till the next wave of games, say 1-2 years.

- There simply hasn't been enough time for programmers to take advantage of the new architecture and start to use the assets accordingly. Once the native fast and abundant RAM and CPU and GPU horse power are internalized as given, the trend will be reversed. Then the PS4 Gen will be norm, and PS3 gen will get the dialed back versions.

- Each console will get additional improvement with respect to their idiosyncratic architectures, rather than the common denominator with some improved features for each console. What they do today, for example, is to develop the games for current gen, port it to Xbox One at the optimum settings, and then utilize the extra horse power of PS4 with higher frame rate and resolution, still not too fundamentally different.

- The switch to the next-gen will only bring more development funding, additionally improving the graphics and art work, and better harnessing the architecture.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

freedquaker said:

There are several reasons why the difference is relatively small at this moment between current and next gen consoles:

- Most development is geared towards current gen. and these games are merely ports, which use the extra horse power for only higher resolution, frame rate and smoother graphics, but that's about it, nothing fundamentally different. This should continue at least till the next wave of games, say 1-2 years.

- There simply hasn't been enough time for programmers to take advantage of the new architecture and start to use the assets accordingly. Once the native fast and abundant RAM and CPU and GPU horse power are internalized as given, the trend will be reversed. Then the PS4 Gen will be norm, and PS3 gen will get the dialed back versions.

- Each console will get additional improvement with respect to their idiosyncratic architectures, rather than the common denominator with some improved features for each console. What they do today, for example, is to develop the games for current gen, port it to Xbox One at the optimum settings, and then utilize the extra horse power of PS4 with higher frame rate and resolution, still not too fundamentally different.

- The switch to the next-gen will only bring more development funding, additionally improving the graphics and art work, and better harnessing the architecture.

Thats my understanding. Thats why O say it's not worth rushing out of the gates to get them at launch. most games are still being made for the current gen I don't see why the rush.....I guess its a look at my shiny new shoes kind of thing.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:
brendude13 said:

Since the image is so compressed that you can't even see texture detail. What you are seeing isn't better textures, its greater contrast between compression artefacts.

After Eurogamer have published a shit tonne of high quality screenshots, using an image like this is just grasping at straws.

I'm no expert but they are all evenly compressed seeing as how they were all ripped from the same video. So if the compressed x1 version looks stronger wouldn't the full version also look stronger?

I hate that "grasping at straws" phrase btw. It always seems to come up in a way that it translates to "please stop finding benficial parts to your argument"

Ahh based on that pic in my opinion though the ps4 looks hell a blury, wonder why the x1 wasn't affected by that...... but what ever, I realized just about everyone's vision is clouded by bias on these things so it's all pointless.

No, not at all. The subtle differences between the Xbox One and PS4 version would be stamped out due to that compression.

...Or, you know, we could just look at the uncompressed screens I posted. There are no "beneficial" parts to the argument, there is no benefit to using extremely compressed GIFs over uncompressed high resolution captures in a graphical comparison, grasping at straws is exactly what it is.