By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NintenDomination - Sorry VGC, But Your Thread Is In Another Castle

Rate Conegamer's Reign

10 81 70.43%

9 4 3.48%

8 2 1.74%

7 3 2.61%

6 0 0%

5 1 0.87%

4 0 0%

3 0 0%

2 1 0.87%

1 8 6.96%

Total:100

I would like to sign up also. I'm downloading the game in like 3 hours.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

Today in Nintendo History:

X was released for the Game Boy in Japan! (1992)

"But Salnax! Was this really the biggest thing ever to happen on May 29 in Nintendo history?"

Nope. I was actually going to do a Mario Party 8 retrospective, but I felt like reviewing this instead. Anyhoo...

X, an early Game Boy shooter is not the best known Gam Boy title. Released in Japan the same year as Super Mario Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Metroid II, and Yoshi's Cookie, it wasn't even considered that big a game back in 1992. It certainly wasn't popular enough to ever officially leave Japan.

However, there are a number of reasons this game is still worth looking back at. First of all, here's a screenshot of some gameplay:

That's first person gameplay in a 3D eronment. On the Game Boy. A handheld released in 1989. Mind Blown.

Admittedl, these 3D graphics were as simple as they got, roughly on par with the early arcade 3D graphics in games like 1980's Battlezone. Nevertheless, this was a huge technical feat. How many other games with 3D environments can you name from before 1993? On a handheld of all things?

Admittedly, Nintendo didn't do this all by themselves. In order to make X into a reality, they had to get some help from a certain British developer. And no, it wasn't Rare.

Argonaut Software, as they were known as in 1992, had been making games for about a decade when Nintendo consulted them for help on X. But that wasn't the last game the two companies collaborated on. Argonaut worked with Nintendo to create a major new series released about a year after X.

Note that the Super FX Chip was developed specifically by Argonaut Software, not Nintendo, to make Star Fox a reality.

In short, X is best remembered as the game necessary to create Star Fox. You'll likely never hear people talking about it, but this Japanese exclusive is indirectly responsible for three playable characters in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Notes:

• Argonaut Game was closed down in 2004, but don't feel sorry for them. They released Catwoman: The Game that year.
  • Famitsu eventually named X as the fourth most influential Game Boy title ever, due to its innovations in 3D graphics on a handheld.
  • X eventually had a sequel in 2010 named X-scape, or 3D Space Tank in Europe, for DSiWare, developed by Q games: the developer founded by an ex-Argonaut developer and reponsible for the development of Star Fox 64 3D, released in 2011. Things go in circles it seems.
  • This was the first Nintendo game composed by Kazumi Totaka, aka the guy behind Animal Crossing's soundtracks. K. K. Slider from that series is inspired by this real-life composer.

Mario Kart 8 Ranking Tourney

Next Tourney - Sunday 1st June 3PM BST/10AM EST

Mario Kart 8 is finally here! To celebrate, how about an official ranked Mario Kart 8 Tourney? It'll follow the same general feel as the Mario Kart 7 Tourneys, put in the tourney code, post in here to show you're ready about 10 minutes before it's due to start, wait for my signal to go in, then it's every man for themselves! If something happens which means you can't take part; don't just "not show", please inform me beforehand so we aren't waiting if at all possible. Repeated missing of the tourneys will mean automatic exclusion from any future tourneys, and your points total to be reset to zero.

Most important thing as usual is to have fun, this will be a weekly thing and the performance in this tourney will go towards the official rankings in the Mario Kart 8 thread. So try your best!

Competitors

User Community
Conegamer  

Rewards

1st place - 40 points, 4 stars

2nd place - 20 points, 3 stars

3rd place - 15 points, 2 stars

4th place- 10 points, 1 star

Competitor- 5 points

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

@ConeG
You already have MK8!? I'll play! Have you made the community?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
@ConeG
You already have MK8!? I'll play! Have you made the community?

Yup, haven't made the community yet (having issues getting online) so will do so tomorrow and update here. Given interest I'll create either one or two.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
For everyone who saw the new thread title, there's going to be a new thread on Sunday 3PM BST (10AM EST), anyone who wants to know just go for it!

So how is this going to work? Did you want to do a tie-in with my thread?

NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
For everyone who saw the new thread title, there's going to be a new thread on Sunday 3PM BST (10AM EST), anyone who wants to know just go for it!

So how is this going to work? Did you want to do a tie-in with my thread?

That sounds like a plan. For the first one I'll be doing it in this thread, and in yours also to gather more interest. But for future tourneys I may just do it in your thread, see how it goes.

Just In:
STINKING GAMECUBE ADAPTOR FOR WII U ANNOUNCED!
possibly confirms gamecube on virtual console :D

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

I chose the worst possible time for my feature.

Guys, guys guys... There's still no N64 VC, calm down.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988