By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think Sony regrets pricing the PS4 at $400?

Tagged games:

???

Yea 46 20.91%

Nay 174 79.09%

Total:220
gooch_destroyer said:
I think MS is concerned with Sony...

Yep, MS and everyone keeps underestimating SONY, even analysts...rule 101, never underestimate your competition, especially when even at their worst you could not beat them....Not sure why peope, keep underestimating sony and the playstation brand in gaming. Remember pachter and other analyst giving MS this gen easily a couple years ago..............

Around the Network

More expensive mean less sale

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

iamdeath said:

Nah, that small loss on each console will easily be made up in Software. This is not PS3 level losses here.

But they could have profited significantly from hardware, software, etc.

All of those PS3 losses were from Bluray. A great investment considering few people buy physical movies these days.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
iamdeath said:

Nah, that small loss on each console will easily be made up in Software. This is not PS3 level losses here.

But they could have profited significantly from hardware, software, etc.

All of those PS3 losses were from Bluray. A great investment considering few people buy physical movies these days.

Yes true, I guess internally they looked at the numbers and thought the extra loss would be offset by sales...But even the same price ps4 wouls outsell x1 IMO, just like PS3, although not as much obviously.

iamdeath said:
gooch_destroyer said:

Yep, MS and everyone keeps underestimating SONY, even analysts...rule 101, never underestimate your competition, especially when even at their worst you could not beat them....Not sure why peope, keep underestimating sony and the playstation brand in gaming. Remember pachter and other analyst giving MS this gen easily a couple years ago..............

I don't think think they underestimate Sony at all. They got rid of the DRM and they have strong exclusives coming.

The only significant edge they are giving Sony is price. However, MS's launch inventory is nearly sold out regardless of price. Perhaps a year from now they will release a X1 that doesn't include a Kinect for $399 or just make it $399 with Kinect.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I would say Sony is pretty happy with their price point. I think they learnt from their mistakes with the PS3, and although they get to pat themselves on the back for starting off on a shitty footing this generation and working their way past the competition (MS only, obviously) over the years - I think their strategy this time is to outright shit all over the competition and blaze in front of them from the get-go. This means aggressive pricing, and giving the customer what they want.

Their price-point really is the sweet spot for new consoles. They come with a juggernaut of a machine at a cheaper price to win over customers. At this stage xbox can really only retain extremely loyal software/hardware consumers.

But this is just the start of the generation, god knows what will happen over the next 7 - 10 years and where MS and Sony will be against one another, how Nintendo will regain some form of console dominance, and how Steam will shake up the console industry (if at all).

This generation was a hell of a ride, it really unfolded like a soap opera. All parties had their successes and failures, and having the competition neck-and-neck with each other is so much more fun to observe that complete dominance a la PS2 days.

Mr Puggsly said:
iamdeath said:
gooch_destroyer said:

I don't think think they underestimate Sony at all. They got rid of the DRM and they have strong exclusives coming.

The only significant edge they are giving Sony is price. However, MS's launch inventory is nearly sold out regardless of price. Perhaps a year from now they will release a X1 that doesn't include a Kinect for $399 or just make it $399 with Kinect.

Remember when Sony that they were gonna let MS annouce their console first? and MS thought they were gonna have the strongest console? then, Sony came out of nowhere and annouce theirs on Feb 20th.

gooch_destroyer said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Remember when Sony that they were gonna let MS annouce their console first? and MS thought they were gonna have the strongest console? then, Sony came out of nowhere and annouce theirs on Feb 20th.

I don't think that's a great example of underestimating the competition.

Anyhow, if any company is guilty of underestimating the competion its obviously Sony. They were treating the 360 like it didn't exist. Live and learn.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think that's a great example of underestimating the competition.

Anyhow, if any company is guilty of underestimating the competion its obviously Sony. They were treating the 360 like it didn't exist. Live and learn.

MS humbled Sony or was it something else? 

I don't think they regret it; $100 less is a HUGE reason to choose the console, especially at launch considering how many multiplats there are, and the fact that PS4 multiplats are "higher quality" according to all of the rumor stories going off lately. 

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.