By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's Official: PS3 hacked to run games off of HDD

This exploit doesn't require a mod chip, the other systems so far still require the modification of the hardware.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

This was only a matter time. When people say that the PS3 is 'hack proof' I just roll my eyes and find their comments very arrogant.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

I wish they would focus on real homebrew rather than copy-protection-circumvention, but I guess that's what gets them the most attention..

the size of the game files + the price of a bluray computer drive that can extract the data from a rental copy are anti-piracy features in-themself

skip said:
the size of the game files + the price of a bluray computer drive that can extract the data from a rental copy are anti-piracy features in-themself

Similar things were said when the PS2 hack was found.  Today for less than the price of 3 games you can put a 500GB hard drive in a PS2 that will hold  around 110 games.  

I would imagine you could probably rig up an adapter quite easily to use full size drives for the PS3 and buy a 1TB drive to save your games on.

Honestly the flood gates are open now..for the PS3 and soon the Wii..only time will tell what impact this has for them. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
gebx said:
HappySqurriel said:
Quickdraw McGraw said:
I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion.

Sony will obviously do what they can to cover this up by the next firmware.
And it's different then with the PSP. I don't know many people who are willing to risk a $400-500 machine trying to exploit a hack that isn't even that fool-proof at this stage.

Unless hackers manage to go further with this, it shouldn't have a noticable impact.

Once an exploit has been found it gives hackers an opportunity to learn far more about the hardware, firmware, and operating system; this (eventually) makes it impossible to prevent further exploits because the hackers will be able to find a flaw in new firmware, and to "unpatch" a firmware update.

With that said ...

Piracy is only an issue if your system caters to technophiles who are likely going to know about and be able to take advantage of an exploit.

Wouldn't that be a big part of PS3's current owners?

From what I have seen not really. This is not a knock on the PS3 it is after all a consumer device just like the Wii and the 360.

This makes me intrested in a PS3. :p

Stillwell said:
This makes me intrested in a PS3. :p

It has begun....duhn duhn duhn!!!

PS3 Domination in '08 = Confirmed ~

To Each Man, Responsibility

My laptop has all the equipment required to do it. BD reader / burner. the discs are too damned expensive still.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.