By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's Official: PS3 hacked to run games off of HDD

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=25066

Hackers find a way to run PS3 retail games through a HDD

Hackers have reportedly found a way to run retail PS3 games through a hard drive and are now hoping to mess around with game data in order to find a flow in how a game handles included files.

quote:

Finally, we have been successful with running PS3 Retail game back-ups on a PS3 Test from both Internal and USB HDD (along with DVD). Unlike PS2 and PS1 development systems, a PS3 Test won't play a 1:1 copy/scene release.

It only plays development copies, so the executables (EBOOT.BIN) had to be decrypted and rebuilt for them to load. However, as mentioned previously, the executables also had to be patched to eliminate some disc checks.

VERY cool being able to run PS3 Retail Games via HDD though, and now we can tinker with game data to find a potential flaw in how a game handles included files!

News Source: Ps3news (Be careful of the masses of pop-ups).

Thanks HJ for the tip.

That didn't take long after the TIFF overflow ...

Around the Network

Wow, this is huge. Could influence sales. Wonder how Sony will combat piracy and going online...

I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion.

Sony will obviously do what they can to cover this up by the next firmware.
And it's different then with the PSP. I don't know many people who are willing to risk a $400-500 machine trying to exploit a hack that isn't even that fool-proof at this stage.

Unless hackers manage to go further with this, it shouldn't have a noticable impact.

EDIT: I just realized, what's the point? PS3 games take up a hell of a lot of room, you'd need a huge HD, and be willing to delete games periodically. Not to mention the lack of PSN play at all.

Ehh, have fun hackers, isn't the most logical thing in this case though. 

Quickdraw McGraw said:

And it's different then with the PSP. I don't know many people who are willing to risk a $400-500 machine trying to exploit a hack that isn't even that fool-proof at this stage.

Unless hackers manage to go further with this, it shouldn't have a noticable impact.

Once an exploit has been found it gives hackers an opportunity to learn far more about the hardware, firmware, and operating system; this (eventually) makes it impossible to prevent further exploits because the hackers will be able to find a flaw in new firmware, and to "unpatch" a firmware update.

With that said ...

Piracy is only an issue if your system caters to technophiles who are likely going to know about and be able to take advantage of an exploit.

Quickdraw McGraw said:

EDIT: I just realized, what's the point? PS3 games take up a hell of a lot of room, you'd need a huge HD, and be willing to delete games periodically. Not to mention the lack of PSN play at all.

Ehh, have fun hackers, isn't the most logical thing in this case though.

Spain... and south america... d@mn it Mexico too...

For somebody who put modchips in consoles, online is meh... 

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Quickdraw McGraw said:

Once an exploit has been found it gives hackers an opportunity to learn far more about the hardware, firmware, and operating system; this (eventually) makes it impossible to prevent further exploits because the hackers will be able to find a flaw in new firmware, and to "unpatch" a firmware update.

With that said ...

Piracy is only an issue if your system caters to technophiles who are likely going to know about and be able to take advantage of an exploit.

Wouldn't that be a big part of PS3's current owners?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Have people hacked the wii/360/ps2 as well?

this is the start ........it might hurt sales in the long run

gamertag Brainteeth

psn Brainteeth

ios Brainteeth

Nintendo Network Brainteeth

Instagram Brainteeth

dabaus513 said:
Have people hacked the wii/360/ps2 as well

Yes, which is why I still think people are blowing it out of proportion.
360/Wii/PS2 have yet to suffer, and they've been exploited for quite some time now.

Quickdraw McGraw said:
dabaus513 said:
Have people hacked the wii/360/ps2 as well

Yes, which is why I still think people are blowing it out of proportion.
360/Wii/PS2 have yet to suffer, and they've been exploited for quite some time now.

Oh haha. I doubt this is "teh 3nd ov pstripple" as some would hope if its happend to other consoles.