By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony slashes full-year profit forecast by 40%

Teriol said:
think-man said:
Teriol said:
the best TV to play games is a sony TV it have a 10ms (lag) there is no other TV that can offer such a refresh rating (sony Flow motion), for gaming sony TV's are the best out there, samsung/LG TV's suck in that department.

I didnt know that, is it noticeable?

in games like mass efect or ninja gaiden it is very noticeable, in games like nwe super mario U or AC4 with a lot of colors and less darker images it is same but trust me sony TV's are better  it's just  people dont give a fuck about the technology inside. my wiiu is  connect to this sony TV XBR-HX950 it has a refresh rate of 240Hz but with the motionflow technology (this is exclusive  from sony) it can reach a refresh rate of 960Hz, and this my friend can be  like nigth and day  when playing next gen games  on your  wiiu, ps4 or xboxone.

Actually, I can tell you of 5 manufacturers that are using "960" Hz refresh rates.  And all of them are BS marketing speak.  It's just 240 Hz (which by itself is good) with backlight interpolation between frames to simulate 960 Hz.  But the processing is pointless in games as you just added latency into your video feed.

Also note that most HDTV's these days have a response time of 8, 4 or even 2 ms.  However, that does depend if they use the grey to grey or black to white response time meassurement. 

And for the record, most Sony TV's are actually Samsung, LG, Panasonic, CMI, Wistrom, Foxconn and Sharp LCD panels.  Sony outsources 80% of their panels now.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

poor Sony. Well, that will teach them to sell the PS4 for two thousand dollars in Brazil, greedy bastards...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

This is not telling the truth, Sony have recently invested heavily into marketing for the Z1 and PS4. Along with the purchase of a large Korean Microchip manufacturer. Their Xperia sales are increasing, Vaio sales are increasing due to the latest range of ultrabooks. Sony are in a lot better financial shape than they make out, they have low liabilities, heavy cash reserves and billions of dollars of assets. Sony just need to increase marketing but otherwise they are fine. Also the profit cut is only attributed to the Japanese arm of Sony and not Sony worldwide.

Play4Fun said:
RenCutypoison said:
Teriol said:
GamechaserBE said:
They should discontinue the Vita, it is draining their gaming devision. Without it they would have made a profit in gaming division and that would have mean more games for PS3/PS4... Yeah the Vita is a mistake...

totally agree with this +10

Look at the vita tie ratio, add digital sales, and tell me again that is a mistake.

You really trying to argue that the Vita wasn't a mistake?

I wouldnt say its a mistake In concept, PSP sold 80m and made millions so it would have been dumb not to make a successor. With that said I do believe they made some mistakes in execution.

1. Price-even tho its a good value for the tech offered, $250-300 is out of most peoples price range when it comes to handheld gaming. $199 is the price they should have tried for even if it meant cutting back on the specs/tech. Also memory card prices are too high as well.

2. Games-Vita hasnt gotten alot of support from first parties while PS3 hasnt gotten excellent support, maybe even too good of support. This year alone PS3 has gotten God of War/Sly Cooper/Last of Us/Beyond/Puppeteer/Into the Nexus/Gran Turismo. That is excessive for a console that has a successor coming this year and a struggling sibling. GoW/GT should have been Vita titles and Sly/Ratchet/Puppeteer should have been on both. As for third parties, most games seem to be late ports or available on consoles with exponentially bigger install bases and those arent really the type of games that push hardware.

Its been almost 2 years since release so maybe its too late to make a drastic turnaround but if Vita launched at $199 with a steady stream of high quality software then I feel it would be doing much better. It really needs the type of games that made PSP sell so well like Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, God of War, Gran Turismo and others.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Every time when Nintendo has a small loss or had miserable profits for the quarter then everyone goes "Nintendoom" and when Sony has issues then most/majority of people are quite and it only shows how people are hypocrites/have double standards...

Reason why Sony is in a bad position is first because of PlayStation 3 that was a failure in its like first three years ultil it finally got decent 3rd party support with decent optimizations and performance, another reason is that they don't manage to innovate much and Sony was only successful for innovating though they never had a unique innovations like lets say Apple's i product series that they were first with like true smartphones and tablets.

Another problem is advertising that is boring and does not make you buy anything from them and their products are like always black, black, black... Same color so there is like no choice, if they had some products with vibrant colors and not only depressing black then I bet the sales of their products would be higher and they also don't really focus on mass market except in consoles and Vita is a failure for a handheld and it is the Sony's PlayStation 3 of the handhelds. PSP was decent and still sells well in Japan, freaking Wii U with little to no advertising that also many dumb people think it is a Wii addon outsells in units sold PS Vita that is two freaking years on the market and I think literally every knows what Vita is... *facepalm*

Around the Network
eyeofcore said:
Every time when Nintendo has a small loss or had miserable profits for the quarter then everyone goes "Nintendoom" and when Sony has issues then most/majority of people are quite and it only shows how people are hypocrites/have double standards...

Reason why Sony is in a bad position is first because of PlayStation 3 that was a failure in its like first three years ultil it finally got decent 3rd party support with decent optimizations and performance, another reason is that they don't manage to innovate much and Sony was only successful for innovating though they never had a unique innovations like lets say Apple's i product series that they were first with like true smartphones and tablets.

Another problem is advertising that is boring and does not make you buy anything from them and their products are like always black, black, black... Same color so there is like no choice, if they had some products with vibrant colors and not only depressing black then I bet the sales of their products would be higher and they also don't really focus on mass market except in consoles and Vita is a failure for a handheld and it is the Sony's PlayStation 3 of the handhelds. PSP was decent and still sells well in Japan, freaking Wii U with little to no advertising that also many dumb people think it is a Wii addon outsells in units sold PS Vita that is two freaking years on the market and I think literally every knows what Vita is... *facepalm*

you say it, and this is the reason for sony to be dying; i like their tv's.

34 years playing games.