By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam rises to 65 million active users, eclipsing Xbox Live

yeah but in the end say its only only 30 million of those are yearly subscribers , at the standard yearly price of $59.99 that's $1,799,700,000 just on xbl subscriptions lol

Around the Network

And Origin has 50M.

HigHurtenflurst said:
Arcturus said:
JEMC said:
Arcturus said:
How do they define an 'active user'?

Probably the ones with Steam installed on its PC/Smartphone and that uses the device.

Congrats to Valve with the milestone.

So I would be counted as a active user, even though I've only used Steam to download and play one game three years ago?

I doubt it... there is probably a timescale on it. My guess would be users who played a game in the last month or week.

The "concurrent steam users" graph currently waves between 3 and 6 million users at once over the course of a day (though that figure may be purely steam client users online, which means those who have it log them in on startup but not necessarily playing a game)

You're just assuming there, right?

Lawlight said:

And Origin has 50M.

That's registered users, not active.

Scoobes said:
Lawlight said:

And Origin has 50M.

And do we know what Valve means by active users? Am I an active user just because Steam loads on boot up on my laptop?

Around the Network

I wonder if I'm counted in that. I haven't played a steam game in almost 5 months, but I'm always logged in and I recently made purchases.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Lawlight said:
Scoobes said:
Lawlight said:

And Origin has 50M.

And do we know what Valve means by active users? Am I an active user just because Steam loads on boot up on my laptop?

adriane23 said:
I wonder if I'm counted in that. I haven't played a steam game in almost 5 months, but I'm always logged in and I recently made purchases.
Rhonin the wizard said:
Arcturus said:

Valve's definition of an active user:

1) User must have purchased something ever

2) Have logged in within the last 30 days

You can stop Steam from running when the computer stars, the option is in Settings>Interface.

Captain_Tom said:
PC gaming is Niche! It's not like there are more graphics cards sold by Nvidia alone each year than any console...

Its not llike Nvidia creates more new graphic cards per year than Sony/MS/Nintendo do consoles per decade.

And its not like graphic cards can be used for million other things other than gaming :)

fallen said:
So Steam must have really passed PSN! And PSN+ by about 50X!

Wonder why that wasn't the headline...

Not surprising though, there are many more PC's of all stripes in the world than consoles.

Probably because PSN has more users than Live.

Arcturus said:
JEMC said:
Arcturus said:

Probably the ones with Steam installed on its PC/Smartphone and that uses the device.

Congrats to Valve with the milestone.

So I would be counted as a active user, even though I've only used Steam to download and play one game three years ago?

No.  Active user usually means unique users in a month.