By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam rises to 65 million active users, eclipsing Xbox Live

I am 4 active Steam accounts.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Arcturus said:
How do they define an 'active user'?

I bet Im an active user and I havent touched it since I signed up, not a single game downloaded... why the fuck did I sign up

Rhonin the wizard said:

Valve's definition of an active user:

1) User must have purchased something ever

2) Have logged in within the last 30 days

DirtyP2002 said:

So you have 4 Steam accounts, have bought something on all of them and you have logged in on them all in the past 30 days?

Captain_Tom said:
PC gaming is Niche! It's not like there are more graphics cards sold by Nvidia alone each year than any console...

Do you have any numbers backing up your claim ? I guess Nvidia sells more GPUs per quarter than any Console sold per year.

Edit:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20110809190609_AMD_and_Nvidia_Lose_Market_Share_as_Shipments_of_Graphics_Adapters_Rises.html

Nvidia sold 23 Million PC Graphic Cards in Q2 2011 th quarter before Q1 2011 it was like 26 Million Graphic Cards. This amounts to roughly 100 Mio Graphics Cards a year. That means Nvidia outsells PS2 Lifetime sales every 2 years.

Rhonin the wizard said:
ktay95 said:
Arcturus said:
How do they define an 'active user'?

I bet Im an active user and I havent touched it since I signed up, not a single game downloaded... why the fuck did I sign up

Rhonin the wizard said:

Valve's definition of an active user:

1) User must have purchased something ever

2) Have logged in within the last 30 days

DirtyP2002 said:

So you have 4 Steam accounts, have bought something on all of them and you have logged in on them all in the past 30 days?

Damn... time to log in and buy something thats free, must be a part of the master race.

Panama said:
The sad part is that Dota2 is the most popular game by far yet there are games on XBLive with more concurrent users than Dota2.

What game on XBL has 500k concurrent players? Black Ops II (360) only had around 300k when I last logged in and thats the biggest game.

League of Legends has more concurrent players than the record XBL concurrent users.

Panama said:
 I love PC gaming, but it's really getting dominated by F2P games at the moment.

Is that hardcore enough for you?

Around the Network
Rhonin the wizard said:

I love when people say "I have 500 Steam accounts".

There is no reason to have multiple accounts because your games are tied to a single account. The only reason people might have one is TF2 idling.

Netyaroze said:
Captain_Tom said:
PC gaming is Niche! It's not like there are more graphics cards sold by Nvidia alone each year than any console...

Do you have any numbers backing up your claim ? I guess Nvidia sells more GPUs per quarter than any Console sold per year.

Edit:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20110809190609_AMD_and_Nvidia_Lose_Market_Share_as_Shipments_of_Graphics_Adapters_Rises.html

Nvidia sold 23 Million PC Graphic Cards in Q2 2011 th quarter before Q1 2011 it was like 26 Million Graphic Cards. This amounts to roughly 100 Mio Graphics Cards a year. That means Nvidia outsells PS2 Lifetime sales every 2 years.

He was being sarcastic.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It's worth pointing out that whilst Valve calculate active users as:

1. Bought at least 1 title.
2. Logged in once in the past 30 days.

Microsoft's policy for active users as:

1. Must have logged in once in the last 8 months.

Which makes this stat more impressive than it already is. Well done Valve!

pezus said:
Scoobes said:
It's worth pointing out that whilst Valve calculate active users as:

1. Bought at least 1 title.
2. Logged in once in the past 30 days.

Microsoft's policy for active users as:

1. Must have logged in once in the last 8 months.

Which makes this stat more impressive than it already is. Well done Valve!

People are also making it seem like Steam is the only place where you can create multiple accounts. As others have said, there are probably far less multiple accounts on Steam than, say, PSN or Live (silver+gold).

Exactly! It's be nice if all the companies in the industry sorted out some standard for reporting "active users". Valve say 30 days, Microsoft have 8 months, and as far as I remember, Sony just reports total accounts. I can't remember how Nintendo reports numbers for accounts.

At the moment, they all use what works well for them in PR terms which makes it difficult to truly compare.

This is impressive though

So Steam must have really passed PSN! And PSN+ by about 50X!

Wonder why that wasn't the headline...

Not surprising though, there are many more PC's of all stripes in the world than consoles.